Hello Again

Reaching for the Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

5 years later

Soojung places a hand on a gray countertop, a smile on her face as she looks up at Moonbyul with hopeful eyes.

“How about this one?”

“Hmm, too bulky?”

“Ugh. Another excuse.” Soojung rolls her eyes. “We’ve been kitchen shopping for hours and only managed to agree on a mug. A mug!”

“What?” A smile spread across Moonbyul’s face. “It’s a damn good mug.”

“Moon Byul Yi, one more time you turn down my suggestion…” Soojung raises her right hand to reveal a delicate gold band on her finger. “I am not marrying you.”

Moonbyul scoffs amusedly, immuned to Soojung’s same old threat. “If I recall correctly, you proposed to me.” She leans forward and pinches the younger girl’s nose, much to her chagrin.

They had been out celebrating Moonbyul landing a promotion at her multinational conglomerate company. And in the middle of a mindless conversation, Soojung had whipped the ring box out of her handbag and started giving a grand speech about spending the rest of their lives together.

Perhaps she had truly fallen back in love with Soojung, or perhaps she thought she saw a glimpse of that dimpled smile in her drunken state of mind, but when Soojung got down to one knee, Moonbyul gulped down the rest of her wine and said yes.

“Can you at least pretend to be excited about moving in together?” Soojung groans, eyes falling on a marble cabinet. “What about this?”

“Fine.” Moonbyul shrugs. “At least it’ll match the white mug.” She laughs as Soojung throws her a sharp glare.

“I’m serious, let’s get this one. Then afterwards, we can go get sorbet.”

Soojung considers for a moment. “My favourite peach basil sorbet?”

“Yes.”

“But we haven’t even picked out a sofa!”

“We can always come back tomorrow.” Before Soojung could protest further, Moonbyul raises a hand to stop her. Her phone is buzzing.

“Byul, you free to talk now? I want to run you through a couple of resumes that we just got this morning for the new assistant manager role.” It is her secretary, Minhyuk.

Moonbyul steals a glance at Soojung who’s giving her death glares before mumbling to Minhyuk that it’s okay to keep talking.

“You’ve got 3 minutes.”

There’s a pause on the line before Minhyuk speaks up again.

“Three are academically qualified. Another two have ample skills and work experience. The rest is meh.”

“Okay, ring up those five candidates and arrange for an interview the day after tomorrow. Can we set it after lunch?”

“Byul, nobody’s coming to the office on a Saturday. It has to be tomorrow.”

Moonbyul looks at Soojung briefly and sighs. There is going to be hell when she tells her about cancelling tomorrow’s plan.

“Let’s do it Monday, then?”

It’s subtle but Moonbyul could hear Minhyuk sighing softly on the other end of the line.

“The big boss is already on our asses for leaving the role vacant for so long. You know we can’t delay it anymore.”

.

“Fine, schedule the interviews for tomorrow. I want everything done by lunch. Those who can’t make it can forget about the job.” Moonbyul ends the call and inhales deeply before turning around to face Soojung.

“So, about tomorrow…”

//

[Flashback]

Moonbyul is running through the airport as fast as her legs could carry her. The wind cuts through her thin jacket and tears at her hair, whipping a few strands in her face. People are staring at her but she doesn’t care, Wheein’s words still ringing in her ears.

“Byul ah, I’m not supposed to tell you this, but Yongsun is leaving for Canada to stay with her uncle.”

“When?”

“Tonight.”

And then she sees her. All the way across the terminal. Yongsun is taking turns hugging Wheein and Hyejin, an unfamiliar older man standing next to her, a hand on her shoulder.

Weaving her way through the crowd, Moonbyul starts moving in her direction. She strides across the crowded floor, working her way around through groups of people, never once taking her eyes from the other girl.

Look at me, Yongsun. Look at me.

But then she loses sight of her as a group of people moves to block her view.

Yongsun is gone.

Her suddenly w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter