Four

First Love

Half a year passed and soon enough we were all starting our final semester which is an internship. It was the period where I started to put on makeup on a daily basis and wore skirts and dresses because skirts were the second most comfortable and hassle free clothes to me other than shorts and T-shirts. 

All of us were posted to different companies with different kinds of specialisation. Our gatherings as a group soon became less frequent but seeing JB was still unavoidable. As his workplace was just opposite mine, he would pick me up from my workplace every evening and drive me back home. 
“it is not safe for girls like you to take a subway home in the evening. Especially if you are wearing skirts. Some erts have a for ladies in office wear.” he said when I asked why did he insist on driving me home every day. I had gotten my driving license a few weeks before this internship but was too afraid to drive using my father's car because I would end up scratching or getting into an accident. 

The journey back home was somehow never awkward; I had accepted the fact that he might not like me and it was good enough that I got to see him every day. Seeing him at the end of the day motivated me to look forward to every work day. 

As if meeting him daily after work was not enough, we would have lunch together on every Wednesdays because he said that we should celebrate the mid-week as we had survived the first two days of work. Soon enough, the people in the office had known about him and gave him the nickname of Mr Audi because of the car that he drives to pick me up every evening. Many often mistook him as my boyfriend because it is usually boyfriends that would do such things. 

I remember that it was valentine's day where things started to change. I met up with him in the evening like what we usually do but this time, I was holding on to a rose and a box of chocolates given by one of the colleagues in the office to all of the interns. All of the female interns got roses while male interns got chocolates as it is weird for guys to be taking roses he said. As there was an extra box of chocolates, he had given it to me at the end of the day where almost everyone has left the office. Coincidentally, the box of chocolates was in a heart shape with the word ‘I like you’ printed on top of the box. 

When I went down to the lobby, JB was already there waiting for me. He saw me and the rose that was on my hand. I did not know if I saw it correctly but his expression changed the moment he saw it. 
“valentine's day gift?” he said looking at the rose as the car stopped at the traffic light. 
“yeah. Everyone got it from one of our senior the ladies got roses and guys got chocolates.”
“then why did you have both? From another guy?”
“nope. It's from the same senior. He said that he accidentally bought extras so he gave it to me.”
“stay away from that senior.” I looked at him and noticed that his jaw is clenched tightly. He would be like that only when he is really angry at something or in pain. 
“I can't. He is my reporting senior and why do you want me to stay away when you haven't even met him in person?”
“just stay away. Do not meet him privately outside and do not spend time alone with him.”
“I wouldn't meet him outside but there is still the time where we have to be alone together because there are a few projects that he is taking and I am helping out. Most of the time we talk about work. I understand that you worry for me as a friend Jaebum but I think you should not judge people so quickly. Especially people you never met. ” *you are leading me to think that you might like me too.* I thought. 

For the rest of the ride back was a quiet one after the conversation and soon I had arrived at my neighbourhood. “we both had a busy day and I understand your worries as a friend. I assure you that I will be careful okay? Have a good night then.” as I was about to open the door, he held my hand. 
“I am not worried about you as a friend.” my eyes rounded as a froze in my position.
“then what am I to you then? A sister?”
“I don't know. But I know that I worry about you more than a friend.”
“you are tired. You are now talking nonsense. Hurry back and have a good rest. Drive safely.” I said as I quickly rush out of the car without looking back at him. 

After the incident, I started to avoid him again. I started to learn driving again from my father and drove my father's car to work more often now so that he would not have to drive me home again. Eventually, we stopped meeting each other due to our increasing workload and my attempts to avoid him. 

Soon, our internship ended and graduation came. Many attended the ceremony except for me. I decided not to attend the ceremony so that I would not see him again. I decided to push him out of my life and hopefully move on. But I was wrong, I did not move on and instead, I started to miss him more. There were still gatherings among all of our friends but most of the time I would only meet up with the girls as I know that meeting up with the guys also means seeing him again. Many asked why did I not meet up with them and I just gave the excuse that I was busy finding a job.