Three

First Love

It was during our club orientation camp for the new club members during the beginning of the term break where I met the girl that broke his heart. We are all in our third year and are now in charge of organising activities for the club. The camp venue that we had rented happen to be managed by her parents and she was helping out then. They were talking to each other when I went to the kitchen to get more drinks for the juniors outside. They had stopped talking when they realised that I am there and JB left the kitchen right after leaving an awkward atmosphere behind. 

“are the both of you together?” she approached me. 
“JB? Oh! No, we are just friends. I didn’t mean to disturb the both of you. I just need to get a few more cans of drinks.” 
“we were together once.” I turned back and look at her. “he might not say it but we had loved each other a long time ago. I was surprised to see him today and he just asked how I am.”
“I don't think there is a need to explain to me Minyoung-ssi. We are just friends.”
“but I can see that you like him.” I was taken aback. It is true that I like him ever since we got to know each other better but I do not have the courage tell anyone about it. It is a secret that I do not plan to share and a secret that he will never know. 

“I can feel that you like him a lot. He might not accept it now but I really hope that he would be happy with someone else.” 
“I hope that you will be happy, JB hopes so.” with that I went out where all the juniors were gathered. 

The juniors had started eating their food when I arrived at their table. Some apologised for going ahead first while some asked why was I taking so long in the kitchen. I smiled and took a bite of the food that was in front of me. 

“sunbae, I was wondering why are you still single?” 
“yah why are you asking such a weird question? Do you like her?” another junior said. 
“so what if I like her! There are no rules stating that a junior can't like a senior. Jaein noona is so pretty and many of us had mistaken her for being attached when we saw her right?” he looked at another junior on his right. 
“so there were the words ‘I am taken’ written here?!” I pointed at my forehead. Suddenly an arm wrapped around my shoulder. 
“you guys! Stop joking around and go clean up this place and the kitchen. I will personally check it later so make sure that it is really clean.”

“ooh! Don't tell me both of you are dating?! Sunbae, are you jealous that we spend more time with her since we are in the same subgroup for this camp?” the juniors asked as they prepare to make a run for it. 
“yah wait no!” before I could explain the juniors had raced off towards the kitchen while JB pulled me back to my seat. 
“Relax a little will you?” 
“Those kids, I’m sorry they made you uncomfortable-”
“They are okay. Besides, we are in the same club I know the kind of things they had been talking and the things they do. I understand that they are just joking.”

That night, I went out for a walk as I could not sleep. Many thoughts came to my mind; why didn't he deny that we are together? Why the sudden skinship? Am I so easy to read that Min young could see that I have a crush on him? “I can't wait to graduate or go for an internship soon. So that I might forget about you.” I whispered to myself.

“forget about who?” I jumped a little to find that he is just right behind me. “can't sleep in a new environment?”
“yeah. I'm not really used to it.”
“who do you want to forget so badly that you wish to graduate soon?”
“oh… no one. I was just talking about a book that I just read. The story is stuck in my head.”
“oh.” 
We walked to the benches at the garden and sat there in silence. Just like the time where we used to be awkward with each other. 

“Minyoung-ssi told me that you guys dated.” I was shocked that I had said this without thinking about it. “I'm sorry. I might really be sleepy now. I had said it without thinking it through. I should go back to my room.” 
“yeah. We dated. She was the first love that I told you about.” he stopped me from leaving. “we were together for two years. I did not know that this place that we decided on is owned by her parents and I did not expect to see her.”
“oh…”
“earlier I was just asking how she was doing.”
“you don't really have to explain it though..”
“I don't know why am I explaining it to you. Maybe it is because you had known the story and you know that she is the first love that I was talking about.”
“it's late now. We should go back to rest, there is a full day of activities tomorrow. Goodnight JB.” 

It was the last day of the 4 days camp that I got to see Minyoung again as she was told to send us by her parents. I looked at JB hoping that he would at least bid farewell to her but he gave me a look telling me to talk to Minyoung for him. 

“Minyoung-ssi, thank you for everything. We are sorry if we had inconvenienced your family in any way.” 
“you guys were by far the best guests that we had. My parents were happy to see that you guys had fun here.” she hugged me. “please let him know that he should find happiness and not dwell in the past anymore. I hope that he will realise that there is such a good person like you that will bring him happiness.” 
“same to you. I hope that you will be happy. You are an important person to him even though the relationship had ended.”


Things were all back to normal after the camp. The same group of friends and the same amount of school work. Nothing really changed except for the feelings that I have for him started to grow and became out of control. I start to avoid being alone with him again and find every reason to escape from interacting with him. 
“Jae, why are you avoiding JB again? Did he do anything that upset you? ” Mark asked as we were about to leave the lecture hall. He was a quiet person with excellent observation skills. He could see or sense things that many would not pick up with just one glance.
“avoid? I'm just busy with school work I guess. It's not his problem. We still text each other from time to time; just not as often as before.”

 

---------------------------------