Two

The Last Time

Seungkwan stares in the distance, still hunched on the bench. He on his cheeks, twisting his lips in a kind of pucker. He crosses his legs, hands still in his pockets. His eyes are distant, droplets of tears still welled up in his lids, as if filling up and waiting to overflow. He blinks, a tear escapes, slides down his wet cheek, and lingers on his jaw, now sharp and prominent from a painful but successful diet. The snow scrunches up beside the bench as if someone stepped on them. Seungkwan looks up.

“Seungkwan-ah. Are you okay?” Wonwoo’s eyes look cold, but his eyebrows curl into a frown. He takes out his hands from the pocket of his bomber jacket and squats in front of the boy. He reaches his hand to Seungkwan’s cheeks and wipes them dry, his tears cold.

Wonwoo’s hands are warm to the touch. Seungkwan frowns, feeling a surge of sadness overflow. Tears flood his eyes once again. Wonwoo clicks his tongue. He stands, steps closer to the boy and pulls him into a hug, Seungkwan’s face on his sweater.

Seungkwan hugs Wonwoo’s waist, burying his face deep on the boy’s stomach, seeking more comfort. His beanie falls off and plops on the snowy ground.

Wonwoo looks down at the sobbing bush of blonde hair. He his hair, a sad song playing in his heart. “Are you not gonna tell me?” He asks out of concern, wanting to extend as much help as he can.

Seungkwan shakes his head.

The mint haired boy clicks his tongue. He lifts Seungkwan’s head so he’d look up at him. “You’re boring.” He pinches his cheeks, a smirk on his face.

Seungkwan pouts, his eyes turning into an annoyed glare. He pulls away and leans his back on the bench, a sigh escaping him. After a moment, he speaks. “Thank you, Hyung.” An appreciative smile on his lips.

Wonwoo ruffles Seungkwan’s hair. “You wanna grab something to eat?” He smiles, pearly white teeth peeking out of his mouth.

The blonde beams, nose still red from crying. Eyes a bit puffy.

“I’ll buy then.” He grabs Seungkwan’s clutch bag and slips it under his arm, digging his hands in the pockets of his jacket.

Seungkwan springs up, his boots clicking on the ground. He walks beside Wonwoo, shaking his hair so they’d fall into a fresh style on his forehead.

--

Minghao pushes the door of the café open, the bell ringing that familiar sound, softly muted by the noise of passing cars. Vernon follows along, a paper bag in hand. He slings the handles on his wrist and digs his hands in the pockets of his pants. It was suddenly colder, his heart in a bind. The barista had handed them the paper bag as they headed out. Apparently Seungkwan had stopped by and left his food untouched. It was odd and it was even more troubling when the barista mentioned that the boy seemed to have been in tears as he left.

“What was that about?” Minghao asks as if he knew Vernon would know what was going on.

Vernon shrugs, his shoulders rising.

“Where do you think he went?” Minghao asks again, feeling the need to fill the silent cold air with conversation.

Vernon finally speaks up. “I don’t really know Hyung.”

Minghao fell silent It was an unexpected answer. “Should we look for him?” He suggested.

Vernon shook his head. A part of him wanted to look for the boy, run to his side, comfort him, but it wasn’t like him. He often just was there when Seungkwan needed him and now, maybe he wasn’t what he needed.

They come upon the park close to their company building. He spots a familiar blonde boy in a dark coat sitting on a snowy bench.

“Isn’t that Seungkwan?” Minghao points out.

Vernon nods. He can clearly see the sullen mood emanating from the hunched figure.

Minghao nudges him, as if saying he should go.

He freezes, witnessing someone else offer comfort to his best friend, witnessing someone else take the place he often stood during gloomy days, beside a crying Boo Seungkwan. His chest hurt. A tinge of jealousy strikes his heart, seeing Seungkwan embrace Wonwoo like how he used to with him. He suddenly missed the soft fluffy feeling of the boy’s hair. He used to do the same, the boy’s hair while he cried his heart out for one last time before putting everything behind. He continues to stare, as if watching a drama unfold before his eyes.

Minghao eyes Vernon. It was strange to just stand in the middle of the park, but he couldn’t say anything else. The sad look on Vernon’s eyes, as if he was losing something important, stopped him from saying a word. It felt like he’d break and pop like a bubble if he’d be taken away from what he was seeing. He stood and watched as things happened like the end scene of a tragic love story.

Vernon feels his chest scrunch up, the pain coming out as a lonely tear sliding down his cheek. Seungkwan’s usual smile after a good cry hits him. He suddenly felt unneeded. His feet take him forward, following along as Wonwoo and Seungkwan leave the park. Vernon stops where Seungkwan was. He picks up the boy’s black beanie on the ground, soaked and cold. He stuffs it in his jacket. The beanie bleeds into the pocket, the cold wetness spreading to the side of his shirt. He walks, his strides heavy. He stops as they reach the crossroads.

“Should we go after them?” Minghao asks, just to hear the sullen boy speak.

Vernon shakes his head, looking at the two backs becoming more distant, their shoulders occasionally bumping on the other. He turns to the opposite direction, his shoes sinking into the snow, leaving traces of sadness with every step.

 

--

Yeey! There's a new chapter! It's still sad, though. For now, this is the last chapter. Sorry I made it sad. Haha! It just wasn't fair that Seungkwan was the only one crying, so I made Vernon tear up, too. :D I hope you won't hate me for this. :D Thanks for reading! I'll see you on the next one. :)