1.4

Secret

 The room I'm in is packed with clubbers, so many I'm nearly standing shoulder to shoulder with them, even here, by the bar.  Still, it's a welcome change from that stuffy reception in Park Tower.

I raise my beer and take a pensive sip.  Here's a little-known secret about me - I hate parties.  I try to get out of as many as possible.  Being Mr. Park's new business partner, of course, meant I had to honor him and his daughter by coming to her birthday reception today.  That's rare, though.  Usually I can wheedle Kai into figuring out a good excuse to let me skip.

Not that the party tonight was all bad.  We got some good business done this evening, Mr. Park and I.  And, I have to admit, Mr. Park's daughter is quite attractive; he wasn't lying when he said she was, in truth, his most valuable nonliquid asset.

I think back to my conversation with her and snort.  She acts like she's younger than twenty-four - I wasn't nearly that flustered around strangers when I was ten.  Still, it's admittedly charming.  It helps that she's pretty and refreshingly unassuming - ah, but Yuri, I remind myself, that's what they all want you to think.  Maybe she's just so good at bullting she seems like she isn't - even to me.

I shrug and take another draught of my beer - good stuff, full-bodied and laced with hints of orange.  Jinyoung keeps the club stocked with high-quality drink, which is one more reason to escape that room of stuffy socialite brown-nosers and come here instead.  I wouldn't put it past Mr. Park to train his daughter into a good little actress; it is, after all, what's done in these circles.  But I have an eye for this sort of thing.

There is a light touch on my arm, and I know who has come without looking.

"Kai," I say calmly.  "What's bothering you?  Did you run out of pretty boys to play with?"

"Very funny.  No, I came to ask about the Park girl."

Kai's breath is hot on my ear, and as soon as he speaks, I can tell he is unhappy.

"Yes?"  I keep my voice uninterested, but inside I feel a surge of anger.  What's his problem, meddling with what's my own private business?  I finally get some time off, and now this .  "What?  Do you think she isn't good enough for me?"

"No," says Kai through gritted teeth, "I think she's the heiress to Park Motors, and you have no right to go flouncing around like a coquette, making promises to her you know you'll never be able to keep.  Do you have any idea what her father will do if he finds out you've been flirting with her?  She's closeted, for Christ's sake.  If he knows, he doesn't want to."

I don't turn my head to look at him - only my eyes.  That, I feel, puts as much contempt into one gesture as one can without speaking.  "You think he'll know?"

"I think all of Korea will know," he seethes, "if the leader of Seoul's biggest gang is caught going out with Mr. Park's daughter at one of Seoul's most exclusive nightclubs, by tomorrow morning.  Do you know what Mr. Park's record for destroying people's careers over personal slights is like?"

I turn away.  "Being a gang leader is hardly a career," I say, my voice hard, barely containing my own anger.  "And I don't mind if people know my name.  They already fear me."

"Not like this," Kai hisses.

I turn to look at him, then, fully.  His eyes are wide and dark - not just with rage, but fear.  I know instantly what he's reminded of.

"This isn't the sort of publicity you want," Kai pleads.  "Trust me."

I sigh.  "People already know my preferences, Kai," I say, and try to look as disdainful as I can.  In an effort to ignore the growing discomfort in my stomach, I turn away and swirl the beer in my glass.  "Now go find yourself another man to play with before I choose another deputy."

Kai's eyes darken.  I know it's because of what I said - because I've threatened to dismiss him many times before, and because he knows that I can't actually do it, he's too important to me, too valuable.  But he says nothing.  After a moment, he turns away and melts into the crowd.  If he sighs as he leaves, I can't hear it.

I swirl the beer in my glass again and take a long, slow sip, make an effort to control my breathing.  What he said hurts, not least because it's true.  Last time...last time was years ago.  But that doesn't mean I don't still remember it like it was yesterday.

There is a sudden surge near the door, and I am jarred from my thoughts: someone has arrived.  The crowd roars.  I crane my head, trying to see past the neon lights and confetti that swirls through the smoke-filled air.  Who is it?

It's no damn good.  I can't see.  Then someone shouts: "It's the birthday girl!"  Cheers erupt around the crowded dance floor.  Somebody starts pouring shots.

Despite myself, I break into a smile.

I know exactly who that must be.

--

"Just relax," whispers Yonghwa, guiding me through the crowd by one elbow.  "People will love you here."

"I am relaxed," I hiss through gritted teeth, then jump about a foot in the air as somebody brushes against me.  I turn to apologize, but they're already gone.  .  Why are there so many people here?  I hate this almost more than being at my father's reception.

Yonghwa, sensing my discomfort, grins.  "We're almost there," he assures me, then swings me out of the way of a tall, burly-looking man who can't seem to stop giggling.  "'Scuse us, sir.  Maybe go a little easy on the champagne next time?"

I couldn't agree more.  Between the thick stench of alcohol and the deafening music, I feel like I'm suffocating.  The only thing keeping me alive, keeping me sane, is the touch of Yonghwa's dry, cool fingers on my arm.

"How do you know she'll even be here?" I grumble for the umpteenth time.

Yonghwa turns back and taps his temple, giving me a knowing look.  "I have my ways, my dear," he says.  "Just trust me."

I have been trusting him - and the past fifteen minutes feels like an hour already.  Outside, we were ushered in as soon as the bouncer found out who my father was.  For all that we got to skip the line, it didn't stop a crowd of wannabe groupies from trying to stop us and ask for favors or love; I'm pretty sure I saw a few from Dad's party, recycled among the nightlife.

Here, I suppose I'm at least lucky to be free of that crowd.  I follow Yonghwa blindly through the dark, praying we don't get separated.  I just want to get this over with.

Abruptly, Yonghwa stops.  I almost run into him.  He holds a finger to his mouth - unnecessary, considering the noise level in here.

"Look," he mouths, pointing across the dance floor.

I squint.  There is nothing where he is pointing except a backlit bar and several drunk dancers - and then I see it.  Her.

She's changed into skinny jeans and a crop top and a leather jacket, and she looks no less stunning than before.  I gulp.

"That's your cue," whispers Yonghwa.  At my look of utter terror, he smiles, then gives me a gentle shove in the direction of the bar.  "Have fun, Cinderella - don't be back late."

I whirl around, but he's gone.  Which is great.  Just great.  I'm stranded in the middle of the dance floor, without my best friend - and the only person I know even a little bit is this gorgeous stranger from Dad's party, who definitely hasn't just caught sight of me, who definitely isn't giving me a knowing smile, , , - what happened to planning?  My mouth goes dry.  I think my heart is fluttering somewhere near my throat.

I look back at Yuri, whose dark eyes seem to sparkle in the light of the dance floor.

Okay, I tell myself.  Okay.  You can do this, Seohyun.  You're twenty-four years old now, not some baby any more.  Go up to her.  Say hello.

I clench my sweaty hands in resolve, and for a moment, I feel like I can actually do this.

It takes me a moment to wend my way through all the writhing masses of dancers.  When I finally get to the other side, my head is spinning with alarms.  What if it isn't Yuri after all?  What if she doesn't like me?  What if she does, and I end up not liking her?

What if Dad finds out?

I feel sick to my stomach.  I lean on the bar with one hand and wrap my other arm around myself.  This was dumb.  Really dumb.

"Excuse me," I hear from my shoulder.  "Are you okay?"

I whirl - and find myself staring at Yuri, right into her face.  She's smiling, but her eyes are concerned.  This close, I can smell her - cinnamon, and something more musky, primal.  I think her hand is on my arm.  My knees go a little weak.

"Uh," I manage to get out, "I'm Seohyun.  I mean yes.  No.  Maybe?"  God, that sounds awful.  Her smile grows a little wider, and I feel my cheeks heat up.  "Okay, so...it's complicated.  I might be a little bit drunk," I tell her.  Honest, at least.

I expect her to frown and pull her hand away.  Instead, she actually laughs.  I feel like a helpless swooning idiot.

"Yes, I remember," she says.  "You were drinking vodka with orange juice.  Because you hated that party."  She gives me a brilliant smile and, at last, takes her hand off my arm.  I want to grab it back.  "And of course I remember your name.  It's too pretty to forget."  She tips her head, and waves of cinnamon and something else roll toward me.  "You remember me - don't you?"

"Kwon Yuri," I say automatically.  Then, at her amused smile, I bluster on, "I saw you.  With Dad.  Are you his mistress?"

She goes immediately from all smiles to a perplexed frown, and I know I've said something wrong.

"No," she says.  "Why would you think that?"

.  "It's just," I say weakly, "well...I haven't really seen anyone at those parties in a long time who's as pretty as you, that my dad hasn't wanted.  Or as smart, or as bold.  As impervious to my dad's criticisms," I add, trying to save face.  It's true; I didn't see her backing down one time when she was talking with Dad.

For a long moment, she doesn't say anything, just watches me with a strange impression on her face.  I think: That's it.  She's going to get angry.  But then, suddenly, she laughs.

"That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me today," she says, taking a breath, and then laughs again.  "Didn't anyone ever tell you such brutal honesty can get you into trouble?"

"No," I mumble.

"Well, I like it," she says, serious now.  She gives me a wink and I think my insides melt.  "Please, don't stop now."

I frown.  "Like what?  Getting into trouble, or brutal honesty?"

"Both," she says, and takes a beer from the counter behind her.  She still sounds serious, and - unexpectedly - it makes me feel warmth, and something new, something hopeful and somehow reckless.  "And you.  By extension."

Okay, so that makes me feel really warm.  In more than a few places.

She's speaking again.  "Listen, do you want something to drink?  It's on me."  She turns back, raising an eyebrow.  "Vodka, maybe?"

I think back to the vodka at the party and almost gag.  "Lord, no.  I can't stand the taste."

She gives me a wry smile.  "You really wanted to get drunk, didn't you?" she says, and leans back so the bartender can see her.  "Hey, Jinyoung.  Can we get a Malibu sunset for the young lady here?  Hold the orange juice."

I gape.  "How did you know - ?"

"I have my sources," she says, and laughs at my look of horror.  "No, really.  Educated guess.  Everybody loves a good sunset.  Besides," she leans over and gives me a conspiratorial wink - God, she needs to stop that - "I know you've already had your fill of orange juice today."

Oh.  "You saw me add that?"

"I notice more than you'd think," she says, grinning.

Right.  Maybe the aspirin didn't work as well as I'd thought, because looking at her smile, I'm starting to feel pleasantly buzzed already.  Trying to distract myself, I look instead at the bartender, pouring my cocktail.  "So...that's Jinyoung?"

"Yeah," says Yuri, leaning against the counter.  "I know him.  He's a good man."

"You know the bartender?  Here?"  Somehow I hadn't thought that the woman from Dad's party would be the type to get chummy with bartenders - but then again, maybe this Yuri isn't the one who was making business deals with my dad.

"And the owner," she says, reaching out to grab my cocktail.  At my look, she explains, "He's very picky about his drinks.  They're what made Club MZ stand out in the first place.  He won't let anyone else mix cocktails for his best customers."

I study the bartender.  He's an unordinary man - short, with a squarish jaw and friendly, but guarded, gaze.  It's hard to imagine he was the mastermind behind this entire nightclub.

"Weird," I shrug, and take a sip of my sunset.  Which is amazingly good.  I guess his club didn't get famous for nothing.  At my stare, he looks up and gives me a smile.  I smile weakly back.

"Mm.  You know what else is weird?" muses Yuri.  "He's got your last name.  I think that's a coincidence."

I snort.  "Yeah, him and a million other people in this city alone."

Yuri grins.  "Sure, there's lots of Parks," she admits, taking a sip of her beer.  "But there's only one like him - who can pour drinks as good as he does, or who runs a club the way he can.  Or like you," she adds, giving me another dazzling smile.  "I'd remember if I met a Park like you before."

I blush and look away.  There's no doubt about it - she's bewitching.  But for all that I feel flustered by her compliments, I can't help but admit: she makes me feel comfortable, too, in a way that I haven't in a long time.  Talking with her is comfortable.  Fluid.

Before I can think, I blurt out, "So, you wanted to go somewhere with me?"

She looks at me, surprised.

"This is somewhere," she says.  Then, at my expression, she smiles.  "But you're right.  I didn't really mean just here."  She sets her beer down on the counter and turns to look at me, so I have nowhere to look except right at her, into her dark eyes.  "Do you still want to go somewhere that isn't here?"

I hold her gaze, breathless.  The butterflies in my stomach become a roaring in my ears.

"Yes," I say, breathlessly.

She smiles.  Not a big smile, not a knowing one, just soft, quiet, accepting.

"I knew you would," she says.  Without another word, she takes my hand and turns.  "Come on.  Let's get out of here.  I know just the place."

For a moment, I hesitate.  My gaze flickers toward the crowd in a vain attempt to search out Yonghwa.  What would he say about this?  Will he be alright?

But my hand has just registered hers, and where her skin touches mine, I feel like a thousand electric pulses have surged through my skin.  They crackle across my arm and into my throat, where all the butterflies have gathered, and I know I can't refuse.

I give her a breathless smile.

This time, I won't let go.

--

 

A/N: That's it for this chapter!  I know I said this would be from Yuri's point-of-view but right now, I feel like there's more important things to be told from Seohyun's.  Sorry, lovelies, I promise there'll be more of Yuri later.

I would write more here but my brain is honestly fried, I just finished submitting all my college apps and my family has been super stressed out lately, ugh X.X  Hopefully I haven't missed anything important?  Oh well.  I'll try to write something more intelligent next time.  It's almost five in the morning where I am.  *insert sleeplessness-induced rainbows and smiles and GAY SUFFERING*

Right, that's it for now.  Happy New Year my dears!  Let's hope 2017 won't be neatly as awful as 2016!  /dies/  See you next time and don't forget to check out Blackpink if you haven't already Jisoo is my goddess okay byyyye