Last Chance

Last Chance

How did our story come about?

Was it when we first met?

Was it when we got together?

Was it when we shared our first kiss?

Or was it when everything fell apart?


It was a cold winter morning, you were walking along the streets of Seoul with no destination in mind. You stopped in front of a familiar building and a flood of memories came back...

1 year ago

"____!"

You were walking to school when you heard a familiar voice. The corners of your mouth tugged upwards as you recognised that ever so familiar voice. Soon, you felt a pair of arms around your waist and a weight on your shoulder. You turned to the side and it was your boyfriend. You gave him a quick peck on his cheek and soon found yourself admiring his features.

"Done staring? You're going to be late." You snapped out of your daze and saw him looking at you with a smirk on his face. You immediately blushed, hit him on the shoulder out of embarrassment and ran off. "Yah! Wait for me!" Jungkook ran after you, laughing. 

The bell rang, indicating it was lunch time. Students flooded out of the classrooms, trying to reach the canteen as fast as possible to get food. You packed all your study materials into your bag and went to find Jungkook. Both of you were inseparable, you guys came to school together, had lunch together, went back home together, studied together, you guys were basically glued to the hip.

When you spotted a familiar figure with his back facing you, you broke out into a smile and ran towards him. You jumped onto him and wounded your arms around his neck. "Yah! You're really heavy you know that?" Jungkook started teasing you. "Oh yeah? Well too bad, you're going to be stuck with me forever.", you exclaimed as you inhaled his manly scent mixed with his shampoo.

He placed you down and clasped your hands with his."Let's be together forever ____-ah" He smiled sweetly at you with his loving gaze. You looked up into his eyes and softened. You knew he meant it, you trusted him. You nodded and leaned in to kiss him. He smiled into the kiss and responded with the same amount of desire and feelings. No matter how many times you guys kissed, you can never get over the fact that he can make your heart race twice as fast and blush even if he didn't do anything. 

Now

You snapped out of your thoughts when someone bumped into you, you didn't even realise that there were tears flowing down your cheeks. You looked up and saw Taehyung, Jungkook's best friend. Your eyes widened and you were about to run off when he grabbed your wrist and said "Let's talk"

Both of you went to a nearby cafe and your eyes darted everywhere but towards the person in front of you. You did not dare to make eye contact with him, for fear of him bringing up the topic that you dreaded the most. However when he called you, you were forced looked at him and there he said it, "How are you feeling?" You could feel your walls breaking down one by one with that single question.

Okay? No, you were far from being okay. You cried yourself to sleep every night, waking up to swollen eyes in the morning. You found it difficult to have a proper meal without him by your side, you couldn't sleep, you basically lost your motivation in life. He was the reason why you could go through each day happily but he wasn't there anymore. You could feel tears b in your eyes and you just wanted to run away from everything, but you knew you couldn't.

He noticed your glassy eyes, "Hey... Remember when we first met?" 

9 months ago

"What if he won't have a good impression of me?" 

You were walking along the streets with Jungkook, your hands intertwined with his. It was a perfect fit, as if your hands were made for each other. You were about to meet his best friend, Taehyung. You have never met him as he was overseas in the US studying but now that he moved back to Korea, Jungkook couldn't wait for you to meet him.

"He will love you babe, just you wait." 

"Even more than you love me?" You teased.

He stopped and looked at you sternly, "I love you"  Those three words that escaped his lips melted you inside. You have never found someone more perfect, who loved you more than anything in the world. And yet, he was standing right in front of you. You loved how he made you feel so loved and you have never felt so secure in your life. 

"I love you too", you gave him a quick peck on the lips and ran off. You turned back and yelled, "Come on oppa! We wouldn't want to keep your friend waiting!" 

Jungkook smiled lovingly at you and ran towards you.

Later that day, you met Taehyung and he immediately adored you when he heard your voice. Both of you got along really well as you had the same interests and personalities. That day was full of jokes and laughter. You looked around at the smiling Taehyung and Jungkook who was about to fall off his seat laughing and you wished that your life could continue to be as blissful as this. 

But we all know that not all wishes come true...

Now

"Yeah... Of course I do!" You faked a smile and took a sip of your coffee. The bitterness could not compare to that bitter feeling in your heart. Your heart clenched when you thought of those memories and you couldn't help but allow your tears to cascade down your cheeks once again.

"Hey... Don't cry... I know whatever I say won't help but I hope you realise that he isn't worth your tears. He was NEVER worth your tears." 

"Anyway, I have to go now. I have something urgent to attend to. Cheer up please, I haven't seen your smile in ages." He gave you a weak smile and gave your hand a quick squeeze before getting up to leave.

That night, you roamed around the streets again before your feet led you to another familiar place. Han River.

6 months ago

You were giddily skipping to Jungkook's class after your detention for being late that day. You were so excited to meet him as you haven't seen him the entire day. He was really busy these few days, he didn't have the time to send you home nor fetch you to school, claiming that he had an important project to work on and you believed him. Although your interactions and physical contact got lesser, you never doubted him. Yes, you missed him but you knew that he had other priorities as well. 

When you reached his classroom and was about to open the door, you heard muffled voices inside. 

"Yes, I will break up with her. Don't worry Sumin-ah."

Your eyes widened, everything stood still at that moment. That voice was undoubtedly Jungkook's. You couldn't believe your ears, your mind was trying to process everything that you just heard but you just couldn't believe it. You accidentally dropped the books that you were holding. Immediately, the door opened and you were met with Jungkook's eyes. He was as shocked as you. 

The first thing that went through your mind was to get away. And so you did, you ran. You could hear him calling for you but you didn't want to face him at this moment. You just couldn't believe that he said something like that. Tears were running down your cheeks as you tried to run away from him, you could feel your heart breaking. 

You ran and ran till you were exhausted, you realised that you were at Han River. 

You went up to the railings and screamed. No one was around as it was already late at night. That scene replayed in your mind over and over again. You cupped your ears and screamed again, "No! Go away! Stop!" You sobbed and sobbed, your cries were the only sound that could be heard. You felt so helpless at that point, so weak, so fragile, so vulnerable. 

At that moment, you felt a pair of strong arms around your shoulder. You could feel that person's broad chest against your back and you immediately knew who it is. You could never forget that familiar scent. You tried to escape his strong grip but you failed. He spun you around and you were met with his eyes, clouded with guilt. 

"___-ah, I'm sorry... I am really really sorry... I got blinded for a second and... It just happened. I really didn't mean to hurt you. Oh god, please don't leave me. I can't be without you." His words, coupled with his soft and soothing voice, made my heart waver. However, that pang of hurt came back and that scene continued replaying in my head.

You stared at him with your cold eyes and said, "Is that why you were too busy to see me? Because you were with her? I can't believe you Jeon Jungkook, you actually cheated on me and to think I trusted you!... You can go to her, it's fine." I could feel the waves of hurt in me, it kept coming and coming. My heart ached, my head was pulsating and I couldn't think straight.

"NO! I will not let you leave me. I will never give up on us. It was a mistake. Please, ____-ah, I will do anything to make it up to you. I'm serious. I will not give you up for anything, please forgive me..."

His eyes filled with sorrow and guilt pierced your heart even more, you wanted so badly to touch his face and just forgive him. But you were not going to give him the easy way out.

"Too late. Goodbye Jungkook."

With that, you walked away from him. You tried to cover up your sobs by placing your fist over your mouth, you were so hurt. Just so hurt. Knowing that your loving boyfriend cheated on you with someone else. When you were home, negativity surrounded you. 

"You're not good enough, that's why he left you."

"His acts of love meant nothing to him"

"He was only playing with you"

That night was probably one of the hardest nights in your life. You wailed into your pillow till your throat was hoarse and your eyes were extremely swollen. You just felt broken.


Jungkook spent weeks trying to get through to you, he resorted to kneeling and begging, he stood outside your house for hours just waiting for you to open the door and speak to him, he attempted to use Taehyung as a mediator. He never gave up trying to win you back. 

Then one day... It was snowing heavily, you were in your warm house, snuggled in your blanket. You knew that your heart was about to give up and you wanted to just run into Jungkook's arms. But you wanted to let him know that you weren't so easy and he wasn't going to win you over just like that. You were about to on your TV when you heard a knock on your door.

Curious, you opened your door and there stood Jungkook, shivering and pale. 

"Jungkook-ah! Why are you here? Don't you know it's freezing outside? Are you stupid?!" You chided him as you eyed his hair fully covered with snow, his pale cheeks and his chapped lips. 

"Please forgive me ____-ah, I-I know I did something unforgivable but I really can't live without you..."

You could feel tears welling up in your eyes as you pulled him inside. 

"Pabo..."

That night, you took care of him. He was running a fever and you made him take some pills and made sure he rested well. You changed the towel on his forehead frequently and made sure he was warm. You knew that your heart was completely taken over by him and you were smitten. There was no way you could reject him. 

And so, from then on, both of you returned to how you were. Your feelings for each other became deeper, you became super close and with each passing day, your love for each other only grew. There was never a day that he wouldn't say "I love you" and he would always make time for you to bring you out for dates, or simply cuddle at home. You guys were inseparable once again, you thought that this would last forever. But you thought wrong...

3 months ago

"Are you sure?..."

"Yes I am oppa."

The room was dimly lighted by the glow from the moon. Your bodies were pressed against one another as he stared deeply into your eyes, trying to convey his love for you. 

That night, both of you were not only connected by your hearts but also physically. You have never felt happier as you knew that he was the one you wanted to spend the remaining of your life with. 

However things did not turn out as you wished...

The next day, you went to Jungkook's house to fetch something of yours that you misplaced there. However, when you opened the door, the scene in front of you was absolutely horrifying. Jungkook was lip locked with a girl whom you recognised as Sumin. She was well known as a in your school, constantly jumping from one guy to another for her needs and desires. Your jaw dropped and for a moment, you couldn't hear anything.

"O-Oppa.. What are you doing?"

Jungkook looked up when he heard your voice, and instead of being surprised, he smirked. "Oh, hi. I was about to go to you and tell you this, but you made my job much easier." 

"Let's break up"

Your breath hitched, you could feel that familiar ache in your heart returning, you simply stood there, stunned.

"Y-You're kidding right? Oppa this isn't funny.."

He scoffed, "I was only with you because I wanted your body, nothing else. The boys made a bet with me and I just had to do it. No one was able to get through you except me, do you know how much of an achievement it is?" He stared at me coldly, "I never had feelings for you. Get that in your stupid brain, now get lost and don't interrupt me"

He pushed me out of his apartment and slammed the door in my face.

You just stood there, an hour passed... Two hours... No tears streamed down my face, you were numb. You were still trying to process whatever that had just happened. That day, it wasn't just your heart that broke, your entire being was broken. 

Now

Tears were streaming down my face as you stood outside Jungkook's apartment. Since that day, he became extremely cold to you. Rumours spread and everyone knew how he took your ity and just left. Everyone made fun of you, bullied you. But he never came back, he never cared. He even joined in the fun by mocking you. 

The loving and fun Jungkook that you knew was gone. 

Every single day, you would drown myself with alcohol and sleeping pills, hoping that you wouldn't have to wake up the next day. Taehyung tried to snap you out of it but after trying for months, he didn't know what else to do. You were a wreck, you never cared to go out, you just stayed at home and wallowed in self pity. All of the sweet memories together was just a facade, it was never real to him. It felt so surreal. You felt so dirty, so cheated. You got played and all the happiness in your life was a lie since the beginning. 

You realised that giving him that last chance was a mistake. You realised everything was a mistake. 

You smiled bitterly at the picture of you and him, he was backhugging you, on your faces were just pure bliss. However, you knew that that wasn't the case for him. 

As you downed the entire bottle of sleeping pills, you could feel your eyes getting heavier and heavier, using your final breath, "I love you, Jungkook-ah..." 


Hello fellow readers! This is my first time writing a story, so I hope you enjoy it and feel free to leave comments :)

I apologise for any grammatical errors or spelling errors.