[2] The Girl and Her Wall of Fantasy

Broken Dreamers

The second time they met was in campus.

Reina was carrying her painting when Jungkook saw her. He knew it was her the moment he laid his eyes on the messy hair.

Jungkook hesitated for a moment. He didn’t know her well enough to greet her, did he?

But she won’t mind, right? he thought.

Jungkook was about to greet her when she turned and entered a room; that was when Jungkook lost sight of her. He couldn’t possibly follow her all the way to that room when he just wanted to greet her, right?

He exhaled in disappointment. Maybe next time.

Just as he was about to go–he still had to finish a song for a project–a familiar voice was caught in his ears.

“Hey, Kook! What are you doing?”

Someone latched his arm around Jungkook’s shoulder, taking him on a bone-crushing hug. He tried to free himself, but his effort was to no avail. The person was too strong for him..

“Jimin-hyung, let go,” he grunted as he squirmed.

“I won’t, Kookie,” the older sung. “Anyway, what’s with the girl?”

Jungkook was caught off guard by the question. “What girl?”

The older gave him a teasing smile. “You can’t hide from me, y’know. I know you’ve been staring a hoobae. Tell me, tell me, tell me, tell me, please? Pretty please, Jeon Kookie? My favourite bro?”

At this point, Jimin was whining to him.

Sometimes, Jungkook couldn’t stand it that his best friend was just too nosy for his own good. Sure, they’ve been best friends since years. He was the one who’s there for Jungkook through ups and downs. He was even the one who helped him to find a house to live in–Jimin’s apartment.

(Apparently, it was also advantageous for the older boy, since they split the bill. They had to deal with such a small house, though, because it was only meant for a person.)

But, really, sometimes Jungkook felt the urge to shut the older boy up so bad.

“We just met when I busked. That’s it.”

Jungkook found himself telling him everything, though.

“Woah, this was an improvement!” Jimin exclaimed as he slapped Jungkook’s shoulder. And it stung. A lot, actually. “Our Jungkookie has grown up!”

“Shut up, hyung,” Jungkook groaned. “You’re one to talk. You never talked to girls, too.”

Jimin grinned. “That’s because I didn’t find them interesting. At least, not yet. But girls fawn over me, Kookie. Let this experienced man give you an advice or two about courting a girl.”

Jungkook turned red as he heard the word.

“Courting–what the hell, hyung? I’m not trying to date her!”

Jimin laughed at the younger’s reaction. “You might start thinking so, though.”

Hyung!”

The latter put up his hands as a sign of surrender. “Alright, alright. Not gonna talk about that,” Jimin said in a mischievous way. “Let’s just talk about other things. How’s your song going?”

“It’s … fine, I guess, but not good either,” Jungkook replied.

Although the topic had changed, Jungkook thought about what Jimin had said.

He didn’t like her, that’s for sure. At least, not yet. Sure, she was interesting enough. But, he didn’t feel anything than a mere interest; for her talent and her in person.

And he didn’t want to date just because of a mere interest. He wanted it to be his first and last relationship. He wanted a serious one, not just for playing around.

Jimin had called him no fun, but he insisted that romantic relationship was a serious thing for him.

“Hey, Kook.”

Jimin called, crashing all the thought that was on his head.

“Huh?”

“Your girl’s coming here.”

-----

Reina tried to find any idea in her head, but the thrumming on her head pained her. She was definitely distracted by the headache she had. The feeling of ache on her whole body didn’t make anything better, too. She closed her eyes for a second, which was a bad choice because now she felt the whole world was spinning.

“It must be because of the rain yesterday,” she murmured to herself. She opened her eyes and plastered a smile. “Well, yesterday was fun, though.”

However, that meant her plan to finish her painting wouldn’t be accomplished.

Reina fished out her phone and dialled a phone number. There was a constant beep sound when she waited for the other to pick up her call. She grabbed her painting and walked out of the room; phone was still on her hand.

Ay, Reirei. Wassup?

She chuckled as she heard the cheerful, yet deep voice. As always, Taehyung always talked in a carefree tone that made her feel a little better even when she was on her worst day.

“Tae, are you free?” she asked, but stopped when she heard Taehyung.

(“Yes, sir. One black coffee and a slice of tiramisu. Oh, would you like another cake? We have this really yummy cake named–” and was cut by a grunt of a man. She heard a man said in a slurred and rough voice, “for ’s sake, no.”)

Reina squinted her eyes even though she knew Taehyung couldn’t see it. “Are you working and calling me at the same time, Kim Tae?”

Taehyung replied with a cheerful, “yeap!

“Ha! Another blackmail material!” she exclaimed, but regretted it after as she felt was hurting. She let out a cough and said, “I’ll tell Seokjin-oppa.”

No worries. He already knew you called me. It’s rare for you to do that, so he thought it’s urgent and allowed me to pick your call up,” he said, a little too fast for Reina’s liking.

“That’s because you constantly call me to the point my ears are hurting.”

Taehyung let out a laugh. “Yeah, right. Anyway, what’s up? You sound sick.

Reina was about to ask him to pick her up when she realized that Taehyung was busy.

“Nothing, Tae. Just wanted to make sure you’re still alive. Seokjin-oppa could be quite scary when you messed up,” she said.

Then came Seokjin’s voice. “I heard you, Reina!

“Do you put this call on speaker, Tae?”

Uh, yes?

Reina laughed. “Oh, wow, great, Tae. Now I’m not going to be Seokjin-oppa’s favourite dongsaeng anymore.”

Well, you still have me! I’m glad to tell you that you’re my bestest partner-in-crime to ruin Seokjin-hyung’s life and–ouch, hyung! You don’t need to pull my ear!

Reina was sure Taehyung’s going to get a really boring and long scolding later.

The voice changed to Seokjin’s and Reina had to put a smile. She hadn’t heard his voice or met him for a while now. Their schedules always clashed–Reina was busy with college, Seokjin with his cute patients.

(Reina was sure Seokjin made to be a really handsome vet, proven by the amount of patients he got even though his clinic wasn’t that big. Most of the girls were trying to flirt with him, and Seokjin’s kindness made them feel that they had a chance to make him fall for them.

What they didn’t know was that Seokjin was falling in love with their pet instead.)

Long time no talk, Reina,” the older male said.

Reina squealed as she couldn’t keep her happiness to herself. “I missed you, oppa!”

(She could hear Taehyung shrieked. “No fair! You don’t call me oppa!”)

And Reina just had to laugh at that.

Yeah, yeah. I know you missed me, but I’m not going to let you go without an hour of lecture of how calling Taehyung for too long wasn’t good for my business,” he said sternly.

“I thought that worked.” Reina grinned sheepishly. “Are you that busy?”

Seokjin hummed. “A little bit, but you can still see me if you come here before eight.

“I’m not sure I’ll make it,” she said, a bit disappointed that she might not meet the latter, “but I’ll try, though.”

The older chuckled. “Okay. And I’m going back to work. It seems that Taehyung is messing with one of my regular customer again.

“Okay, oppa! And tell Taehyung that I’ll call him later.”

She could hear a distant shout from Taehyung. “No! will call you!

Hear that, Rei?

“Clearly,” she said as she nodded. “Bye, oppa. See you later–that is if I could make it on time.”

’Kay. See you, girl.”

The phone call ended there. Reina then stared at her red converse in pity.

I guess I’ll have to walk, then.

When she was about to walk away from the room, her eyes caught a doe-eyed boy with another boy. She tilted her head in confusion as she realized that she knew one of them.

“Isn’t that Jungkook-sunbae? Why would he be here?” she asked herself, then facepalmed as she realized something. “Oh, right. Art room is in the middle of the campus.”

It was still an amusement to see him, though.

So, she decided to ran to him and tap his shoulder with a grin. Jungkook was startled when she did that, but not as shocked as the other boy whose jaw now dropped and almost touched the floor.

Jungkook turned into a stuttering mess when he talked.

“W-why are you–I-I mean, why … ?”

Reina chuckled at his antic. “Wouldn’t it be rude if I don’t greet a sunbae I know? Moreover, I’m your fan!”

Jungkook opened his mouth to speak, but couldn’t let any word out. He glanced nervously at his friend, only to be stared back with a shocked expression.

Reina’s eyes made its way to Jungkook’s friend.

If she didn’t know better, she was sure she would’ve thought that the boy was younger than her. He had plump lips and nice eyes that would disappear when he smiled–a really sweet appearance, Reina would say. However, the sharp line of his jaw and his perfectly shaped bicep–Reina could see it because he wore a sleeveless shirt–screamed the opposite.

She wondered how a person could have such a contradicting appearance, but still managed to look amazing. And, really, Reina appreciated anything beautiful.

(She met one with contradicting appearance and personality before, but Taehyung didn’t count.)

“Holy ,” the boy murmured under his breath. “It is real. Jungkook did talk to a girl.”

Reina raised her eyebrows questioningly.

“Is it such a weird thing that he talked to a girl?” Reina asked; her gaze was directed to Jungkook. “Don’t tell me you have a phobia to girls.”

“Not weird,” the boy answered. “Just absolutely alien.”

Jungkook rubbed his nape awkwardly. “I’m just … you know–”

“–really awkward, especially to girls.” His friend finished the sentence. The boy gave her a sweet smile. “Anyway, I’m Park Jimin from Dance Major, a senior.”

Reina smiled back at him. “Reina Kim from Art Major here.”

The older boy chuckled on that. “Yeah. Definitely can see that from the painting you’re holding.”

She glanced down and only realized that she had been carrying her painting. She grinned sheepishly and took a look at her watch.

“I think I should go,” she told them, then murmured. “Otherwise, I won’t see Seokjin-oppa.”

Jungkook’s ears perked up at that.

“Oh. Where?”

And he head the urge to slap himself after he said that. Now, she would think he was nosy and considered him as a creepy sunbae.

However, she didn’t look creeped out or disturbed. She just glanced at him and smiled.

“Eunoia, the café, of course,” she said that as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. “Wanna come, sunbae?”

Jungkook choked on his own saliva when she asked that. He did know that the girl was friendly, but not this friendly. The stare Jimin gave didn’t help either. It just made him put on a dumbfounded expression.

The older gave him a look–one Jungkook knew would be a sign that he would bug him to no end about this.

“Sure … ?” he answered, but his tone sounded like he was asking himself. He cleared his throat and repeated, “sure. I have things to take care of, though. But I guess it won’t be long.”

Reina nodded. “Okay. I’ll wait at the bust station. See you there, Jungkook-sunbae. And nice to meet you, Jimin-sunbae.”

The girl bowed at the two boys and left, leaving an excited boy and an extremely embarrassed other.

Despite the smile on his lips, Jimin slapped Jungkook’s arm, hard. “You said you’ve only met her yesterday! Liar!”

Jungkook groaned in pain. “I did,” he said as he rubbed his hurting arm, “but I didn’t know she’s this … friendly.”

Jimin had a dumb look on his face–wide grin and wriggled eyebrows–and Jungkook knew the teasing would take forever to be gone.

Hyung,” he whined, covering his face with the back of his hand. “Now, if you excuse me, I’m going to submit my project’s progress and go to the bus station.”

The older still wore that silly expression. Jungkook walked away from him, already embarrassed that people had looked at them due to Jimin’s high-pitched voice.

“Good luck on your date, Kookie!”

Jimin’s voice resonated through the whole building.

And Jungkook couldn’t get any more embarrassed than that.

-----

Oppa!”

Reina ran at the older as soon as she saw him. Seokjin chuckled, ruffled Reina’s hair when the latter hugged him tight. She gasped when she remembered something.

“Where’s Mochi?” she asked. Her eyes roamed around the room, only to found nothing she’s searching for.

Seokjin shook his head. “Left her at the pet shop. Yoonguk and Namjoon took care of her.”

“You left her with him?” she asked in disbelief.

Of course, she would be terrified if Seokjin left her cute cat–technically, theirs–with that klutz.

Yongguk and Namjoon were Seokjin’s friends. The two had such intimidating features, but she found out they’re fluffy by hearts. She had no problem letting Yongguk to take care of Mochi–the man loved cats and kitten–but Namjoon?

No offense, although Namjoon loved cats as much as Yongguk, but how could she trust her lovely friend on the hand of a person who almost set Eunoia on fire?

(Happened once when he tried to cook. It was a relief that the customers had gone home and no one got hurt.)

“Don’t worry, Rei. There’s Yongguk,” he assured.

His eyes then travelled to a clueless boy who stood not far from them. He wore a mix of confusion and embarrassment expression on his face.

Seokjin raised his eyebrows on Reina.

“Oh, that’s my … friend, I guess? A sunbae in campus, actually,” she explained. “Decided to take him here. And–oh! He had such a great voice that enchanted me and I’m sure you’ll love him too!”

Seokjin stared at him suspiciously and whispered on Reina’s ear, “Not your boyfriend, right?”

The girl laughed. “No, but I’m sure he’ll get all red when you say that. He’s kind of cute, though. And shy.”

Seokjin wouldn’t be surprised when Reina said that. The girl had been such a straight-forward person for all he knew. The first time they met, she also said some compliments to him that would make other people think she’s in love with Seokjin.

Jungkook smiled awkwardly when he saw the older male.

“Hello, sir. My name is Jeon Jungkook.”

He shrinked under Seokjin’s gaze and seek help by glancing at Reina. It felt like he was trying to tell him to off.

“Don’t worry, sunbae,” she said to Jungkook. “He was like that too when I introduced him to Taehyung. You know, the waiter boy.”

Seokjin scoffed. “No, you didn’t. You left him so he could ruin my café.”

Reina grinned mischievously at that. “Past is in the past, big bro. Let it go.”

“Did you just quote Frozen on me?”

Reina laughed at Seokjin’s disgusted expression. “Technically, it’s the song. And yes, I did. Don’t put up that kind of expression, oppa. I know you secretly watched Frozen in your room.”

“That was a one-time thing!”

Reina snorted. “Yeah, sure.”

Jungkook watched the whole interaction in amusement. He felt out of the place, but still, he was entertained by the two’s interaction.

(The boy concluded that they were siblings, but he could be wrong.)

Jungkook smiled gently. They were really close, weren’t they?

“Oh, right! Jungkook-sunbae, I want to show you something really cool!” She grabbed his wrist, making him turned red. “Since I’ve already heard your song and blown away by that, why not try to impress you too?”

Behind him, Seokjin was glaring and had the I’m-watching-you look while Jungkook gulped in fear.

Reina noticed Seokjin’s look, and reassured the latter.

“Don’t be scared. He’s a total fluff once you know him.”

Yeah, right.

 

“What … is this?”

Jungkook held in his breath when he saw the wall. Reina had taken him to the café’s backyard–Jungkook didn’t even know it had one–to show him something cool.

She said she wanted to impress him, didn’t she?

Well, that worked.

Right now, Jungkook gaped in awe with what was in front of him.

It was a wall, sure. But it was the drawing that made him gaped–a big tree with random pictures on each branches. It wasn’t complete. Not yet, at least. And he guessed that the girl added the picture one by one.

He stared one of the branches and found fairies on it. They were fairies, raising their hands and controlling waves as it swallowed everything else–houses, trees.

Jungkook shuddered at that. Without him noticing, he touched the wall, awed by how real the tree looked. He wondered how she made it to be this beautiful. He was enchanted; enticed by her skill to bring out something from fantasy.

The random drawings shouldn’t match the tree at all, but surprisingly, it blended so well that he thought that the girl was a genius.

“This is my wall of fame.” The girl grinned at him. “More like a wall of shame. I know what a mess this is, but I don’t want to degrade my own drawing.”

“No.” Jungkook was breathless when he said that. “This is … amazing.”

Reina hummed when she heard that. “Glad to know that.”

Jungkook noticed the different feelings he felt when he stared at the different branches. There were anger, sorrow, happiness, and … hatred.

He widened his eyes when he realized what this was.

“Don’t tell me this is … your way to express emotion?” asked Jungkook.

Reina grinned at that. “You got that right. I drew this when I felt these feelings were too overwhelming,” she answered, then looked right at his eyes. “Doesn’t that apply to you too, sunbae? You sing when you’re happy, tired, sad, angry. You sing to express things you can’t express in real life.”

Jungkook stared at her. A flash of memories played on his head. He started remembering things he didn’t want to, but this time, he was glad.

He was glad Reina wasn’t the same as her.

I don’t know what you sing for, Jung. I don’t know why you had to give up on the constructed path your parents already built. I’m sick of pretending to know you when in fact, I don’t.

You’re just a coward dreamer that can’t accept reality.”

Jungkook looked solemn when he remembered the things she had said. She was the person Jungkook trusted most. When he thought she would give him the support he needed, turned out it was all fake.

No one talked. Reina realized she couldn't–at least, not when Jungkook had that look on his face. The look she knew too well.

The silence was broken by her sneeze, though. She sneezed, snapping Jungkook out of his thought and made him stare at her.

Reina grinned sheepishly as she wiped her nose with her sleeve.

“I think,”–she sniffed–“I might have caught a cold.”

 



 

A/N: I'm on fire, really. Literally wrote half of the fiction on my exam paper lolol Anyway, I'm trying to update as fast as I can, so stay tune for more update!

And, how was this two chapters? Let me know what you think of it!