[1] The Boy on the Street

Broken Dreamers

Jungkook wasn’t sure whether he made the right choice.

Sure, he had thought about this for a long time. Two years of thinking wasn’t a short time. He even considered all of the possibility that could happen. One of them was disowned by his own parents and kicked out from house.

After all, deciding to take the path his parents hated the most wasn’t that easy.

But Jungkook was so determined at that time. He thought he was ready to face that. He thought he could do that whatever it took.

His parents never liked the idea of him being a musician. They always wanted him to find a stable job so they didn’t need to worry about his life. They always wanted him to sit in those boring office, taking care of whatever was on the paper.

It wasn’t like Jungkook didn’t have the ability to reach his parents’ dream. In fact, he was always on the top of his class. His grades were more than enough to apply to the major his parents always wanted.

But that wasn’t what he wanted.

He always wanted to work with music, to convey his emotions in the songs he sang. He always wanted to compose–wrecking people’s feelings in a good way with his music.

He always wanted to be a musician.

So, Jungkook secretly applied to Music Major’s scholarship in Seoul University.

That night, Jungkook was more than ready to leave the house. He already packed his clothes when he showed them that he was accepted in Seoul University with scholarship. He already saved some money–enough to send him to Seoul.

His parents were indeed happy.

That was before they realized what major their son applied to.

Thinking back about it, why did he make such a choice? Was it because the fact that he was immature at that time?

He didn’t regret anything, but that made him lost so many in exchange of his dream.

So much had happened since he chose his own path. He lost contact with his friends–which he was sure had a comfortable life with their parents’ money. It was also hard to live without knowing whether you can eat or not tomorrow.

Moreover, he lost an important person that kept him running to reach his dream just now.

Jungkook wasn’t the type to blindly fall in love. He wasn’t even the type to believe on it.

It seemed like that girl was an exception. That girl was different. With the most beautiful smile and caring personality, Jungkook couldn’t help but fell.

Their meeting was nothing more than ordinary–no dramatic scene where you bumped into her and reached for her fallen books. He knew her from his friend. That was it.

However, something grew in him. He couldn’t exactly pinpoint what was different, but she made him comfortable. She made him smile on his worst day and laugh with him to perfect his best day.

She was his sun, the best muse he could get.

Things happened and she was gone.

How was it that many things can change within a day?

Jungkook exhaled loudly. His fingers were plucking the guitar strings, humming to a song he didn’t even know existed. Eyes were closed to avoid gazes from people.

His humming stopped when he felt something wetted his face. Looking up, he could see rain was starting to fall. At first, it was just droplets of water, but gradually starting to get him drenched.

“Oh, ,” Jungkook cursed under his breath. “Erza!”

He hurriedly grabbed Erza–yes, that’s his guitar’s name–and stuffed it inside his guitar case. His eyes searched for a shelter. Once he laid his eyes on a café, he ran there.

The smell of warm chocolate hit him immediately as soon as he stepped his foot on the place. It had a heart-warming atmosphere which made him unknowingly relaxed. The café was dominated by brown, but there was a slight touch of light cream. He liked the homy feelings this café gave. There were also shelves that was hung in the wall, full with all kinds of books; from novel to comic.

This is a book café? he thought.

His hand automatically reached for a comic–The Law of Ueki–and searched for a place to sit.

Suddenly, a boy greeted him with a boxy smile and offered him to take a sit at the corner, beside the biggest shelf this café had.

“I’m sorry I was late. You can sit there,” the boy said as he grabbed Jungkook by his elbow, and pulled him excitedly to the place.

Jungkook was slightly surprised by his deep voice, despite his childlike appearance.

(He chose to be surprised by that, than the fact that a stranger was dragging him as if they were best friends since forever.)

He continued with a grin. “Anyway, welcome to Eunoia. Kim Taehyung at your service. What can I help you with, bro? Oh, and please don’t tell my manager that I was late to greet you because he’ll be mad at me and he’s going to fire me, but customers usually love me since I am always so friendly. Ah, it’s a pity Seokjin-hyung doesn’t like my friendly side, but I knew he’s pretending when in fact he loves me like his own little brother and–”

Jungkook cleared his throat. “I’m sorry, but … a hot chocolate would be nice?”

Taehyung stopped for a second, before his eyes lit up and pat Jungkook’s shoulder.

“You’ve made the right choice, buddy,” Taehyung said as he took a note. “You sure you don’t want any waffle? Oh, Eunoia’s chocolate lava cake is one of the best, I assure you. You have to taste that. Oh! Or would you like to try the cheese cake? It’s delish! I am sure you–”

“Er … no, thank you.”

Taehyung’s smile faded. He pouted as he stared at the doe eyed boy. “You sure? Not gonna regret it? Because I’m sure you will–oh! Reirei!”

Jungkook looked back to see who the boy was calling. The bell chimed, a sign that someone had opened the door.

It was a girl, wearing a dark blue jacket and oversized white shirt with ripped jeans which was similar to his. She was wet from head to toe, but her sling bag wasn’t in that bad condition, so Jungkook figured there was something important in it that she wanted to protect from the rain.

“Urgh, I’m all wet,” she grunted. She looked up, saw the waiter boy–Taehyung, and ran to him. “Taetae!”

When the boy was about to hug her, she put her palm on his face to make distance.

“No hugs today. I’m all wet,” the girl said as Taehyung pouted.

She glanced at Jungkook who’s staring at her, dumbfounded. “I guess Taehyung rambled again, didn’t he?”

Jungkook scratched his nape and awkwardly laugh. “Yeah.”

“Hey! I’m still here!” Taehyung protested.

The girl chuckled as she pushed away Taehyung. “Hush, Tae. Go make the things he ordered.”

Taehyung stomped away angrily that made the girl giggled. Jungkook made this as a chance to observe her better.

Apparently, even without the effect of rain drops, her whole appearance was a mess.

Her brown hair was tied into a messy bun, letting strands of hair beside her face. Jungkook could see the dark circles under her eyes, even though it wasn’t that recognizable. She gave him a smile, which reminded him that of a cat’s–that was if a cat could smile. What frightened him the most was her eyes. She had this kind of eyes that eerily similar to a black hole–something that can you into the depth of it and made you drown.

Trying to be polite, Jungkook gave back a smile.

“Sad songs today, huh?” she asked suddenly.

Jungkook blinked a couple of times. “Huh?”

The girl gave him a grin that made him tilted his head in confusion. “I always hear you singing on this street and I love your voice–and songs, if you really wrote the songs you sang–so maybe that makes me a fan?”

“Oh, thank you, I guess?” Jungkook wanted to bury himself out of embarrassment. Jungkook gave off an awkward laugh. “Well, you can’t be happy forever, right?”

“I guess so,” she agreed. She glanced at the chair in front of him and said, “May I sit?”

Jungkook hesitated for a moment, but eventually nodded.

“Thanks,” she replied as she sat beside him.

There were only two chairs, face-to-face, which made Jungkook blush for he was never in this situation with girls. Not even her. So, he tried to mask his embarrassment by reading the comic he picked earlier.

She fished out something from her bag and widened her eyes. “Crap. My sketchbook is freaking wet.”

She flipped open her sketchbook, trying to separate the pages which stuck together. Her eyebrows furrowed, careful not to rip the paper.

Jungkook took a peek out of curiosity and found himself awed by the contents. He gaped in silence, hoping the girl wouldn’t notice that he already invaded her privacy.

But, damn, he thought, those sketches are … brilliant.

Although the book was wet and made the sketches blur, Jungkook still could see the rough sketches the girl made, which made the drawings more … alive. He could feel the feelings she was trying to convey–whether it was a sense of longing or a subtle happiness.

There was a drawing of a cracked glass with a girl’s reflection on it. He knew what she was trying to convey and he felt it, too. The sorrow which was clear on her eyes, the cracked glass that showed him the feeling of hurt.

This was what broken inside felt like.

Jungkook let out a sigh when the girl flipped it to the next page.

That was when he saw it.

He saw a boy along with his guitar, closing his eyes as he sang. Nobody paid attention. It was as if his existence was fading. The colour of black dominated the drawing, which made it looked so dark.

It was him that she drew.

Jungkook was conflicted–to be or not to be angry when he found out the girl had drawn him without his consent.

The girl stopped flipping the pages when she noticed that Jungkook had been staring.

“Oh,” the girl gasped. “You were so engrossed in your own world that I had to draw you.”

Jungkook nodded as he looked away.

“It’s … fine, right?” asked the girl carefully. “I can throw it away if you–”

“N-no! No, that’s fine!” Jungkook exclaimed. “It’s just … nobody has never done that before.”

The girl tilted her head. “Draw you?”

“No.” Jungkook stared right at her eyes. “Notice me.”

It was silent for a few seconds, before the girl turned into a laughing fit.

“Oh, God! I thought you just asked me to notice you!” she said as she wiped the tears on her eyes.

Jungkook turned red. “W-what?”

“I thought it was the same kind as ‘senpai, notice me’ thing, but then I realized–oh, boy!” The girl continued to laugh. “You and your choice of words!”

Jungkook turned even redder, if that was possible. “Excuse you, we didn’t even know each other and you already laughed at me. That was rude.”

The girl stopped as she smiled. “Is it a sign that you want to know me?”

Jungkook looked away to cover his blush. “Whatever floats your boat.”

She chuckled. “Well, the name’s Reina Kim, an Art Major freshman in Seoul University. You?”

Jungkook widened his eyes when he heard the name of the college, but then smiled.

“Well, hoobae, guess you have to respect your sunbae, then,” Jungkook said. “Mine’s Jeon Jungkook, sophomore in Music Major.”

And that was the first time he met her who will be the cause of a memorable life journey.

 



 

A/N: Hey, guys! This is my first time writing a real story. (I've written two before, but it was so cringeworthy that I decided to just erase that.) I hope I can keep this up, because I'm not really into long chaptered stories, but there's no harm in trying again, right?

Since I am on my exam week, I think I won't be able to update frequently. (Or I might be able to because the pleasure of writing stories on your exam's questions paper is real, bruh. Apparently, that's how I came up with the idea, too.)

I'm sorry for any grammar mistake. English is not my first language and writing this is considered as one of my learning method, too, I guess. Tell me if I have any mistake.

So, see you on the next update! Hope you guys enjoy this.