Settle Down

Control ALT Delete

I assumed I was only out for a few hours. I hadn't moved but Chittapon was no longer sitting beside me. I couldn't help but feel sad about this new development but it gave me a chance to try and to figure out what had happened with the explosion and how I got here. I still didn't really grasp why I was laying down with my arms out and unable to move but I was smart. I would figure this out, right?

My hearing was a bit better, so clearly I was recovering quickly. I could get a feeling of others were also in the area with me. Not many must have been injured because there was barely any s and groans coming from around me. I could pick up a couple whispering a few beds down from me, and I think I heard a child and there mom walk past my curtain.

I felt a cold breeze hit my back and send a painful shiver down my spine. It caused me to squeeze my eyes tightly and let out a hiss. I clearly was exposed but I could only see up to my shoulder covered in a medical gown. It was an ugly green colour. You know the kind that looked like mushed up old broccoli. I had asked for years on changing the colour, but clearly the counsel was not having it as it wasn't of utmost importance. Fashion is always a necessity according to my partner.

The gown clashed so badly with the smoke-stained curtains surrounding me. They weren't actually caused by smoke but you know when you go into a smoker's house and there is that ugly yellow hue? That is what surrounded each bed. To make it worse, they were made of this weird fabric that wasn't cloth, but wasn't plastic. Chittapon and I laughed about it a lot because the medical ward should be for comfort but we always thought that it felt kind of like a cold hell of bad taste.

My curtain moved and Chittapon stepped in. It's like he knew I was thinking of him.

"Ten." I though I would have choked it out but it escaped my lips with much more ease than I anticipated. Trying my luck a little more, "Did you go for dinner while I napped? Is it any good?"

Ten was what we called Chittapon for short since he joined our fraction. It was much easier. I won't even mention how complicated his last name was, but at least not as bad as some of our other Thailand natives that had joined.

Ten looked at me for a moment with crazy eyes before he smiled and sat down on the chair next to the bed. He reached above my head bringing back a cup with a straw and a little stick that had a sponge attached to it. The sponge was what we used when patients weren't able to drink and needed to stay hydrated.

"Which one do you think you can handle?" He said as he crossed his legs. He was styled in his normal dark clothes. This time he wore a thick shirt that had mesh-like long sleeves that hugged his frame quite nicely. He wasn't a broad man, but he was fit. One of our fastest members in combat; his agility was known throughout the encampment and was looked upon from the new rookies. He paired it with these dark corduroy pants that also fit him to a tee and the standard issued military grade boots we all wore in our division. Somehow he made being a soldier look good.

"The straw. What aren't you telling me?" With each sentence I was finding my voice again. I am known for healing quickly, and that injection from earlier seemed to be helping. I must not have been as injured as Ten made it seem but why was I still tied down then?

"Straw it is!" He happily put the white and red-coloured straw into my cup and brought it up to my mouth. I sipped it carefully, never taking my eyes of him. When I had finished enjoying the refreshingly cold liquid, my eyes shifted to a glare.

"Ten. What are you not telling me?" I put more emphasis into my words this time. I was feeling better by the second as my mind started to go hyperactive with everything that was wrong. Was it him? Did something happen? I hadn't been able to sense him in the last couple hours but I assumed it was from the pain and I wasn't paying attention. Oh my! What time was it? In all the commotion and the unexpected explosion, we were on our way to call his cousin. She has got to be frantic. With our line of work, we always tried to reach out to her often so she knew we were all here and accounted for. She was like our mother, just much younger.

"Ten. What is the body count? Where is he? Have you heard from Emma? Did we lose any rookies? I know I have only been out a few hours but you are starting to make me panic if that much damage has been done in a few hours." I was trying to sit up. I really wanted to shake him.

"Jae. Settle down." He got up quickly and put his arms on my shoulders to hold me still. It was then that a cool wave washed over my body and put my mind at ease. "It hasn't been a few hours..."

"It's been a few weeks." He had entered the curtained area quietly but because of our bond, I sensed him before he even had to say anything. "You need to stop moving or we cannot finish healing you. The fire wasn't a normal explosion and your body isn't healing like it should have."

I was determined to see him. I needed to see his eyes. "Can you at least explain to me what happened. And what do you mean it's been a few weeks? It was literally a moment ago when I felt that shot of fire through my arm and I knocked out. I cannot have been out for a few weeks."

He walked around to me and squatted down. Looking me right in the eye, he didn't have to say a word. I saw everything that had happened since I had been out. The body count was over two hundred and they were still trying to locate everyone. We had lost over fifty rookies and another twenty were paralyzed without their abilities from the fire. Whatever that explosion was, it put particles in the air that affected many ALTs including myself. Thankfully he and Ten weren't affected and we still had many of our soldiers active and helping the other divisions. He had tried to close off some of the memories but I caught that it had been him who was treating me this whole time. Clearly Emma's teachings were paying off.

"Now you are almost healed, but it will be a couple more days. Can you stay still for a little longer? Jinyoung has a concoction prepared that has helped many ALTs get their abilities back to the beginning stages. With training, they should be back to normal soon." He stood back up and proceeded to go out of my line of sight.

It honestly didn't matter that I couldn't see him anymore. Whenever we got within a certain distance, we could sense each other. His cousin too. We had this bond that was fused years ago one during a major car accident when she was visiting us in Korea.

We were so excited to see her and she had come out to see the new wave of rookies graduate to their divisions. After dinner, we were driving down the road and I had seen something run into my lane. I might have panicked for a moment because I thought it was a small child and swerved to avoid hitting them. In the midst of it, I overcompensated and the car went barreling over the guardrail. Emma was screaming and I just remember trying to get the car under control as we flipped a few times before a tree stopped the vehicle.

Emma was ejected out of the car and landed on the hood. The moments following after are such a blur for all but I remember the three of us reaching for one another and then there was a warm ball of energy that passed through our bodies. Since then we have been able to sense one another and and pull memories from each other if we lock eye contact. Its come in handy for the job, but with Emma as a healer in America, we can't always feel her as much and she won't move to Korea yet for reasons unknown.

"Major General Seo Young Ho! Major Chittapon Leechaiyakul!" The Commander General had come in with determination and saluted causing Ten to stand at attention in front of me with a stiff salute back. "We need everyone armed and ready for our next plan of action. Young Ho, get Colonel Jaén Adlez back on his feet immediately. You have 2400 hours." As quickly as he came in, he left.

Ten sank in his chair. "Junior said that it would still take a few days for the medicine to bring him back to one hundred percent." He reached out to hold me hand.

Young Ho moved around as he finished putting something on my back. It felt like aloe after a sunburn but smelled of mint and lavender. "We will just have to give it to him early and hope for the best. Jaén is strong. I know he will be fine."

I laid there as they talked about me like I wasn't the person on the bed. "Hello. I exist here. I kind of want out of this contraption as soon as possible. Give me the meds and I will figure how to get my ability back to full speed. Johnny, go get Junior. Let's do this." I was determined to get back to normal after losing a few weeks.

Johnny turned to Ten, "You heard your Colonel. Go get Doctor Park so we can get him back on his feet."

Ten squeezed my hand and stood up with a smirk. He half-saluted us both and walked quickly out and went to go get the solution for me getting out the bed once and for all.