Precautions

Control ALT Delete

"Are you awake?"

My head was pounding. I couldn't fully grasp where I was but I wasn't warm anymore. As the fog was lifting from my mind, I could tell I was laying on my stomach with my arms outstretched and it smelled of disinfectant.

"What." I said with a hoarse voice.

"Shhhh... you inhaled a lot of smoke so the doctor said your throat is going to be sore for a few days. We got you." Even draped in dark clothes, Chittaphon radiated when he smiled. It was something I had always taken a comfort in because he was the kind of friend to always find the silver lining and it gave you hope.

He caressed my head gently. Now that I was starting to come to, I slowly moved my head from one side to the next, taking in my surroundings. I was strapped to the table with restraints on my wrists. I wasn't quite sure why I was restricted so I turned my head back to Chittapon.

"Uh", was all I could get out and signaled my wrist as I tried to lift it.

"It's really a precaution. Your back is really bad and we needed to make sure you didn't shift in your sleep and mess up the treatment they are giving you." He explained and reached his hand out to my cheek. His fingers were cold to the touch. "You seem to be still running a fever. Let me get someone." He grabbed the cord above me and a soft ding was heard.

I didn't know if anyone else was around because we were covered by curtains but I could hear slight murmuring and the shuffle of feet. I assumed it was people but my hearing was still a bit muffled from the explosion.

The curtain shifted a little behind Chittapon and I saw him nod to whomever was behind me. In an instance, my arm felt like it was on fire and I let out a yell. Chittapon tried to soothe me as I moved my head as quickly as I could to look at my other arm and what was causing the new pain but I was too slow. The person who had entered was gone just as quickly and nothing was there. I couldn't help but let out a quiet sob before I involuntarily closed my mind and went to sleep with tears pooled in my eyes.