The Woes Of A Parent

Ours

Sunggyu carefully climbed up the stairs, preparing a short speech in his head.

Minji-ah, I don’t know what happened at school today, but you know you can tell me and your Appa anything. We love you very much and I will destroy whoever put these ridiculous ideas in your head.

He paused. Okay, maybe not that last part. But, it was true. Minji was Sunggyu’s precious little princess and there was no way he was going to allow someone to poison her innocent mind with ridiculous lies! When he found out who that waste of precious oxygen was, he would make them pay.

The songwriter finally reached his daughter’s room. He took a few seconds to take in the cute butterfly and flower stickers on the door’s surface and smiled. Minji and Woohyun had bought the stickers last week and decorated the door with them together. Like Sunggyu, Woohyun was practically wrapped around Minji’s little finger; he would do anything for their little girl. Which was why her little declaration that they didn’t love her practically drove his younger (and much more sensitive) husband to tears.

With that thought, he raised his knuckles to the door. “Minji-ah, it’s daddy.”

There was no answer, except for the quiet sobs of his daughter that pierced Sunggyu’s heart. He hated it when the people he loved cried; it made him feel useless.

“Minji-ah, can you open the door? I want to talk to you.”

“No!”

“Please? For me, princess?”

He waited what felt like hours, but were really only seconds when the door opened and out came Minji, still in her school uniform. Her face was red and blotchy with tears and she was hiccupping. Nonetheless, she was still adorable.

Sunggyu kneeled down in front of her and placed his hands on her shoulders. “Minji-ah, please. Just tell me what happened.”

The little girl shook her head, staring at the floor.

“Daddy and Appa are worried about you. We just want our little princess to be happy again. You know we don’t like it when you cry. So, please, tell me what’s wrong? You were so excited for Show and Tell this morning.”

The little girl flinched at that and pursed her lips before looking up at him with a defiant look in her eyes.

“You’re getting a new baby and you don’t love me anymore!”

Sunggyu felt like time just stopped. Hearing it from Woohyun had upset him. But, hearing it directly from Minji broke his heart.

“Minji-ah, that’s not true! We love you so much! Who told you that?!”

“Jinyoung said that when mommies and daddies have a new baby, it’s because they’re tired of the one they already have!”

Sunggyu’s eyes widened in shock. What on earth…

“Who’s Jinyoung? And he’s lying, Minji-ah!”

“My classmate. And he’s not lying! He said it happened to him last month! He got a new baby brother and his mommy and daddy didn’t like him anymore! They like the new baby more!”

Okay, he couldn’t destroy a little kid. But he was definitely having a talk with that boy’s parents.

“Minji-ah-“

“And I’m not really your baby anyway!”

His already wide eyes got even wider.

“Minji!” a new voice joined them.

Sunggyu turned around to see a devastated looking Woohyun behind him. He must have gotten tired of waiting downstairs and followed him. The younger man rushed up to them to kneel next to Sunggyu.

“Minji-ah, of course you’re our baby!” he exclaimed, trying to wrap her in a hug but she stepped away, closer to her open bedroom door.

“No, I’m not!” she yelled, stomping her foot. “I don’t even have a mommy! All kids are supposed to have a mommy! You’re not my real daddies!”

Woohyun gasped. When before Sunggyu felt helpless and upset, now, he was angry.

“Kim Minji!” he growled as he stood up to his full height now. He looked down at his daughter, his little girl, his princess, who had never once made him angry on purpose, who was never this defiant, who had never broken their hearts… until that moment.

“Gyu, don’t…” Woohyun started, but Sunggyu was now in full parent mode.

No more coddling. No more sweet words. It was time to discipline this child.

“You have no right to speak to us that way,” he said, firmly. “We are your parents and right now, you are disrespecting us. Apologize to your appa and me.”

Minji didn’t say a word or move.

“Now, Kim Minji!”

The little girl jumped in fear at his tone, but instead of apologizing, like her father commanded, she grew more defiant, as her face scrunched up in an angry scowl.

“Jinyoung was right! You don’t love me at all!”

Before they could say another word, the 8-year-old fled into her room and slammed the door shut. They heard the lock turn, shutting them out completely.

“Minji-ah!”

“Kim Minji!”

Woohyun, still on his knees on the floor, broke into a sob, his shoulder shaking. Sunggyu stared blankly at the door, still in disbelief over what just happened. How exactly did this happen?

Why did Minji take the words of a classmate who knew nothing about their family over theirs, her own fathers?

True, they weren’t her real fathers. She didn’t share DNA with either of them. But, they raised her, took care of her, and loved her with every fiber of their being. They were there during all of her firsts, picked her up when she fell, and celebrated all her accomplishments in the past 8 years. They showered her with so much love and affection, in hopes that she would never want or need a mother’s love, one that neither of them could provide. They thought that both of their love was enough…

“G-Gyu…”

Sunggyu broke away from his reverie to look down at his husband, still on the floor, crying. Without a word, he joined him on the floor, wrapping his arms around him.

“Our baby… our baby thinks we don’t love her!” Woohyun wailed. “What did I do wrong, Gyu?!”

“Nothing,” he answered, as he slowly helped Woohyun to his feet. He placed his hands on either of his cheeks, wiping away the tears before kissing his forehead. “You did nothing wrong, Hyun. Come on, let’s go downstairs. Let’s give her time to cool off.”

With that, Sunggyu led his younger husband downstairs, hoping in his heart that his daughter would come to her senses and realize how much she was loved.


A/N: Hello! Are you guys still there? Still interested? I hope you are! So, I think I've somewhat figured out how to divide this story. So, the next two chapters will finally be the home videos! I decided to just split them since some got too long and it would be too long of a chapter, I think.

So, my current plan is:

Chapter 3-4: Home Videos

Chapter 5: Conclusion

So, yeah, I hope it stays that way! I just wanted this to be a slice of life kind of story, so I don't want it go on for too long. So, please leave me some comments, some constructive criticism, if you have them!

Thank you, chingus!