three

sink into her darkness

 

Tiffany doesn't smile at Yoona the next time they meet.

 

Yoona finds herself in an enclosed white-walled room, full of the scent of disinfectant and a sense of heaviness and it's starting to make her feel claustrophobic. Her fingers get cold. She begins to feel her stomach churning, skin prickling underneath uncomfortably. She doesn't know if it's the anxiety she's feeling on the inside or the cold tone in Tiffany's voice or perhaps the freezing low temperature in the room that's making her shiver, and she decides it's the latter. 

 

"Why am I here?" 

 

"We have discovered a large amount of Zaleplon inside the body of Sehun," she says, "and I had found bottles of such sleeping pills at your place on the day I took your statement."

 

"I have no idea why he took those pills, he could have been too stressed out from work lately," her eyes are red-rimmed now, "you know, I should have checked on him earlier and all these wouldn't have happened. I'm so-" 

 

Lies are toxic, but they flow so easily out of and Yoona starts to believe them as truths. 

 

"According to your last statement, you claimed that you were with Dr Lee, whom you would like to call him as Onew," she continues calmly, "but he had given his statement that you weren't at his clinic that day."  

 

How could that be? Why is Onew lying? Where is he now when i need him the most? 

 

"I have tracked your phone and you have never spoken to him before. We also went through your treatment records and the last time you saw him was during the first treatment session and you had not returned ever since."

 

"You are suffering from a delusional disorder, it's a side effect from the sleeping pills you have been overdosing."

 

Yoona looks stunned, refusing to believe the brutal lies that are spilling forth through her tainted pink lips. 

 

"Sehun was killed by you. He drove into the water because you overdosed him that night. You're the real murderer, Im Yoona." 

 

"No!" Yoona yelled, almost too loudly.

 

The words are so blunt and it’s the straightforwardness that makes it sound harsh. But despite the way the sentence makes her cringe, they’re full of nothing but truth. And perhaps Yoona knows that – deep, deep inside her heart, of course – but just can’t bring himself to admit it. 

 

She bites her lip for a moment before releasing the breath that she hasn’t even realized she has been holding. 

 

"You are lying." 

 

"No, Yoona, you are lying."

 

In a moment, Yoona sees the faded memories of what could only be her nightmare. It's as if Sehun is back alive and she's looking at him with teary eyes. He's staring back too, a spark of sadness glowing across his expression. Her heart clenches in an unfathomable violence and her jaw tenses when she says to him, “You want me to be a tragic backdrop so you can appear to be illuminated, so that people can say ‘wow, isn’t he so terribly brave to love a girl who is so obviously sad?’ You think I’ll be the dark sky so you can be the star? I’ll swallow you whole.” 

 

Her face now flushed red, shoulders shaking uncontrollably, and her thin body curved, trembling as if she’s about to break. She knows what happened, what exactly happened, what happened in between all this jumbled mess, this frantic disarray; she killed him.

 

“This is a dream,” she clenches her hand with as much as she could manage and tells herself repeatedly, “This is a dream. A bad, bad dream, just a horrific nightmare, and I need to wake up now.” 

 

The tears come fairly slow, running down her cheeks and she doesn’t bother to even wipe them because nothing matters anymore. 

 

What Yoona never know is that Sehun is willing to stay with her even when everything crashes and burns.

 

She wonders if she's getting dizzy, if she's going to pass out soon, because everything looks strangely blurred. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Yoona," she eunciates clearly, "this is the Institute of Mental Health."