Chapter 2

Obliviate

Needles to say, I stayed in my room that night. I was too freaked out by the strange events that had taken place all in a matter of hours since my arrival. I had been too freaked out to go out and explore my supposed new home, so instead I spent my night tossing and turning as my mind tormented me with thoughts about the weird boy who sat at the top of the stairs, and the blood curling screams that came from the brown haired boy. 

I couldn’t help but feel like there was something seriously weird about them. But what kind of people did I expect to find in an insane asylum? I didn’t belong here like they did. I was regretting my decision to accept the offer, but there was one thing that was making me power through all this. The harsh realization that I had nowhere to go, so the free temporary roof over my head helped me convince myself to stay. 

As minutes turned to hours, I eventually was able to fall asleep and when sleep consumed me and my eyes shut. It felt like minutes had gone by before a strong blinding light came smacking me in the face. 

With my eyes feeling like sand, I struggled to get them to open. Sneaking a glance over at the alarm clock on the beside table, I shot up in a hurry when my fuzzy vision settled in and revealed that it was 7:45 am. Realizing that it was fifteen minutes before breakfast was done being served, I quickly jumped out of bed and made a dash for the bathroom to get ready.

Not even five minutes went by when I came stumbling out of my door, trying to adjust my shoes. The hallway greeted me with silence as I quickly scanned the area to make sure no freaky people were hanging around. Especially that boy who did nothing but stare. The thought of him sent the heebie jeebies through me. Even though he hadn’t spoken a word to me, he made me feel uncomfortable. 

I find my way into the dinning area that resembles my room a little too much.  The same repetitive colour scheme they had going on in this place was beginning to give me a headache. I figured it probably contributed to people losing their minds. 

“Might want to help yourself before there’s no more food left” The same nurse that helped me to my room, smiled as she entered the room. 

There was something different about her though, she seemed to be in a good mood compared to yesterday. I returned the smile, nervously my arm as I nodded. 

“I will” I answered. 

I took a step forward before she called out after me. Causing me to turn around to see that her smile was still plastered on her ruby lips. 

“By the way, you have an appointment with Dr. Yoo at three” She announced. 

“Dr. Yoo?” I asked cocking an eyebrow. 

“Yes, the psychologist. You will continue your sessions while you’re here” She added.

I swallowed nervously as I gave her yet another nod. After she seemed to be somewhat pleased with herself she turned her heels and marched out of the door she had come from. Wasting no more time, I quickly made my way towards the buffet line and filled my plate with left overs.

After finishing up my plate, I had decided that it was the perfect time to explore. It was still too early until my appointment with Dr. Yoo, and since there seemed to be no strange people hanging around, I let my curious legs take me where they wanted to go. After several and I mean several hallways, I found myself standing in front of a large wooden doors with mosaic windows. The sunlight painting beautiful rainbow flares against the white floor. 

Pushing the doors wide open i’m greeted by a breeze of salty air. Lavish green grass welcomes me. Stepping out into the windy fields, I feel my worries lift from me. I was here to focus on getting better, to get rid of the behavioural issues Dr. Kwon, my previous psychologist had insisted I had. This was a new beginning to my life, so I could get my life together and start living a normal life.

I must have walked for quite a while before the realization hit me that I had no idea where I was going. Looking back towards the way I had originally came from, I notice that I had gone off the beaten path and I didn’t know where I was.  Masses of thick woods cover my vision and I can no longer hear the waves crashing against the jagged cliffs. I figure I must be more inland than I had originally thought. 

Minutes turn into what feels like an hour and i begin to feel my legs starting to give out. I was tired from all the walking, and I still hadn’t found an exit. I started to worry thinking I had really gotten lost. What if I couldn’t find a way out? With my anxiety levels going into overdrive, I try to calm myself, but the tightness in my chest keeps on getting worse by the second. 

Feeling my way around, I sit myself on a damp and mossy log. Slowly reminding myself to breathe in and out slowly, an exercise Dr. Kwon had shown me in the past. I begin to feel my airway slowly opening up again. I feel immediate relief knowing I wouldn’t pass out from lack of oxygen. I begin laughing to myself, at how ridiculous I was being. However, my laughter is cut short when I hear a sound in the distance. 

With my heart beating fast again, I slowly try to make out what the distant sound i’m hearing is. What sounds to be grunting fils the air and I panic. Was something out there? I become scared at the sudden realization that i’m out in the deep woods and by myself. The possibility of running into a bear or even worse, a wolf was very high.

I nervously swallow as I take a step towards the sound. Unsure if it’s the smartest or most dumbest decision I was going to make. But realizing that I was lost and had no idea where I was, I force myself to follow the sound that is emanating from somewhere deep in the woods. 

“Hello?” I nervously call out into the area, but there is no reply. “Is someone there?” Still no reply. 

I cautiously walk for a few minutes before I find myself peeking through a thin bush to where the sound is coming from. Stopping myself from gasping out loud, my mouth hangs open in surprise when I find a man. But he’s not just an ordinary man, he seemed to be locked in some sort of cage.

I watch from afar as he repeatedly meets his fists against the concrete wall as several grunts escape him. Completely taken back by what I’m seeing, I’m surprised by the sudden bravery that overcomes me as I push my way out of the shadows. This man could be in trouble, there had to be a reason why he was locked in a place like this, and maybe I could help him. 

Cautiously approaching the cage I prepare myself to make my voice not sound so shaky as I’m merely inches from the cage.

“Excuse me, are you okay?” I asked loud enough so he could hear me. 

The man stops punching the wall, dropping his fists to his sides, I notice how the white bandages wrapped around his fists are covered in stains of red. I swallow nervously as he slowly turns around and acknowledges me. 

A cold and expressionless face stares back at me as he furrows his eyebrows at the sight of me for just a split second before he nervously looks around us in search of something or someone before meeting my gaze once again. Getting a better look at him, I realize that he must be in his early twenties and based on the condition of his appearance he must have been out here for quite some time. 

Without receiving an answer, I ask the same question a second time. 

“Are you okay?” 

He studies me for a minute before he firmly nods his head. Slowly turning around he begins punching the wall once again. Stunned by his behaviour, I take a step back. Was this man crazy? How could he still be punching a wall with so much hate when he was bruised like that? Did he not feel pain? 

Worried that something serious is happening, I begin to plan out a way on how to get this man out. This wasn’t something normal, having someone locked up like this was inhumane. I needed to tell someone, I needed to go find help. 

“I’ll go get help” I tell him but he doesn’t answer me. He seems to be in some sort of trance to hear me. 

I take off running, not knowing where I’m headed but knowing that I need to get him out of there. I push my way through debris, getting my arms scratched here and there by several twigs and branches before I can start making view of a large opening and a house in the distance. 

I start calling out for help, hoping that someone will hear me but no one comes out of the house. The closer I get to the house I realize that it’s abandoned, frustrated that I had made this far, I feel my eyes begin to sting as hot tears begin to fall from my eyes. I was lost and now I held the responsibility of someone’s life and freedom in my hands and I couldn’t find a way to help him. 

The poor man needed me to help him, I knew that he had lied to me when he said he was fine. He looked anything but fine and if something happened to him because I couldn’t help him, I would never be able to forgive myself. 

Soft crunching echoes its way to my ears as I freeze. The hair on the back of my neck standing on end as I feel the presence of someone standing behind me. I swallow nervously, momentarily forgetting about the mini break down I was just having. 

A soft but yet deep voice speaks out from behind me.

“What are you doing here?”