Chapter 1

Obliviate

In the short time I had been alive, there was one thing I had learned. Feeling alone and being alone were two completely different things that I often confused but staring at the waiting room in front of me, the realization hit me, hard. I was truly alone for once. 

After years of different foster parents, and physiologists I had been deemed mentally unstable to be left on my own. It had also been my physiologists decision to send me off to a small island in the middle of an immense body of water with no way of escaping for rehabilitation due to my behavioural issues that she claimed I had.

After the two hour ferry ride in what consisted of me boarding a sketchy looking ferry that looked like the last time it went under mechanical observation was during the turn of the century, I found myself on the cold and wet piece of land. It didn’t take me long to locate the building since it was basically staring at me right in the face the moment I stepped off the ferry.

The ancient brick building that resembled what seemed to be an old factory of sorts smelt like wet moss and dust. The dust that had mounted up on the old furniture that held a few tears here and there gave me the impression that they didn’t care much about presentation here. And the few spider webs that adorned the high wooden beams on the ceiling let me know that they didn’t believe in cleanliness either. 

 "Kina?“ A soft voice spoke into the silent room. 

Looking back toward the entrance I notice a younger woman standing before me. With her dark chestnut hair tied up and away from her face, she offers me a warm and friendly smile.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. We’ve been very busy this morning. If you’re ready, I’ll take you to your room" 

I nervously nodded not sure of the overwhelming emotions that were flowing through me. I wasn’t sure if I should be feeling happy or upset that I had let my psychologist come to this conclusion for me. But I felt thankful towards her because my life was a mess and even though I was legally an adult, I had nowhere to go and nowhere to call home. 

I followed behind the nurse, carefully keeping a distance between the two of us as I trailed behind her. 

 The sunlight found its way into the dark corridor and into the main foyer, where it spread its rays out like legs of a spider and illuminating the giant staircase before us. 

The cherry wood held intricate designs that I could only imagine took time to carve by hand. I let my eyes take it in before they landed on something, or better yet someone. 

A boy no older than twenty sits on the top of the staircase, his deep brown eyes burrowing into me as he curiously studies me. I swallowed nervously, slowly allowing a smile to form but the gesture isn’t returned by the boy. Instead he keeps glaring at me with the same cold stare that sent the hair from the back of my neck on end. 

There was something weird about the boy, something about the way he looked at me made my stomach twirl around unpleasantly. 

I try not to think too much into it. He was clearly curious about the newcomer and that was it. 

We pass by him one last time, disappearing down yet another dark corridor before we come to a stop at the last door. I nervously look back to where we had come from as the nurse unlocks the door.

"This is your room. Breakfast is served at seven every morning, lunch at twelve and dinner at six. You can come and go as much as you like but be sure to come back before midnight” the nurse said as she hands me a key that is much too large in my hand.

“Midnight? Why at midnight?” I asked curiously. 

“That’s when we lock the gates. So if you’re outside after midnight, you’ll have to sleep on the street” She replies.

“Got it” I answered. 

Stepping into the white room, I look around. White on white on white stares back at me. The walls are empty, everything in the room is in one colour reminding me way too much of a mental institution. They couldn’t even put the effort into making the place look a little more welcoming. 

“Any questions?” The nurse asks as she fills her board with something. 

I shake my head. Setting down my suitcase on the tile floor. I almost jump back when a loud blood curling scream is heard down the hallway. Not shortly after I hear the sound of footsteps running down the corridor. 

“We need back up” A young man says as he peeks his head in the doorway. 

They don’t hesitate a second longer before they both dash out the door and make their way to where the loud screaming is coming from. 

Curious as to what the hell is going on, I quickly follow behind them, stepping out into the corridor I find a boy with dark brown hair screaming at the top of his lungs. With his hands held out in front of him he waves them in front, blocking the staff from getting to him.

“Don’t come any closer!” He threatens. His dark brown eyes wide in fear as he looks around him to see that he is outnumbered. “I swear that if you come at me with that poison, i will hurt myself!”

Trembling, I leaned myself against the wall. I wasn’t the type of person that liked yelling or being faced with situations like these. If there was anything I remembered from my childhood, before the constant foster homes and frequent visits to the physiologist, it was that I had once faced a similar situation. A similar situation that brought all the bad things back into my mind. 

“No, get away from me!” The screams got louder, hurting my ears as I watched the poor boy take them all on by himself. He swayed his fists into the air but they did nothing. 

I watched as the staff whispered to one another and then one of them walked towards the boy. 

“Listen, you’re putting on quite a show and scaring the other patients” He said as he looked at the boy straight in the eyes. 

He looked around, his eyes focusing on me. 

I swallowed nervously as he took a step forward towards where I was standing before yelling at the top of his lungs once again.

“Good! they need to know the truth! About what you’re doing to us!” He said, never breaking eye contact with me. 

I felt the way my skin curled at the mention of it all. What did he mean I needed to know about the truth? 

He reached his hand towards me, but I hesitate to take it. 

My eyes widen when I see one of the staff members dash towards the boy with a syringe in his hand. I watch in horror when he jabs the needle into his neck, dark blue liquid seeping into his neck, the boy opens his mouth one last time but nothing comes out.

His brown eyes begin to droop and then a smile appears on his thin lips as his body falls limp, like if he’s in some drug induced trip. Not wasting any time the man waves over towards the others.

“Quick!” The man calls out to the others as the boy lays limply in his arms. “Bring the straight jacket!” 

The men carry the boy down the hallway with everyone else following. I stand in shock, trying to process what the hell just happened. The words he said still ringing in my head. I needed to know the truth about what? He seemed desperate for something. 

A small creaking sound catches my attention. Searching for the cause, I feel my heart stop the moment I’m faced with the same cold stare from earlier. The boy who sat on the stairs just moments ago is now peaking out from behind a door, his eyes never leaving me as the door slowly closes behind him with a loud thud.