Chapter 1

Beyond Facades

Chatter disrupted the silence that once filled the field as Do Yeon and her classmates came pouring in, clad in their sports attire. They scattered about the bleachers and upon settling down, their coach announced that there were going to be two soccer matches - one among the boys and another among the girls. After briefly going through the rules, the coach told the boys to divide themselves into two teams before the coach proceeded to assign different roles to each of them. Do Yeon hadn't been paying that much attention and was too preoccupied with her stretching. It wasn't until the mention of a familiar name resonated in her ears that her focus on stretching got mildly interrupted. Only then did she remember his existence. With him not sharing the same classes as her the day before, his presence was a little vague to her and she had little expectations of him somehow ending up in the same gym class as her.

Following the direction of the voice, she deserted her stretching to find the reason behind the sudden mention of the fellow's name. It turned out that he had been assigned the role of a striker. Wonho acknowledged his position with a curt nod, his expression remaining still. Acting on their own, Do Yeon's eyes scanned his side profile from head to toe. Unlike the formal image he had portrayed with his outfit - a white button down top with its sleeves pulled up midway along with a pair of black straight cut jeans - during his first day of school, he seemed more toned down with a plain black dri-fit top to go with a pair of runner shorts. Do Yeon tilted her head slightly, making a mental note of how nice his looked. She was fortunate Ri Na did not share the same gym class as her or she would have been given a hard slap on the shoulder followed by a dreadful lecture.

The shrill sound of a whistle pierced the air, waking Do Yeon from her trail of thoughts. Realising that the match had begun, she tried to give it her full attention since she was after all, a fan of the sport but her main focus kept wavering as she threw glances his way. Wonho looked so light in his strides, effortlessly running about the field in chase of the ball. Upon receiving possession of it, Wonho left no room for hesitation as he darted towards the goal.

Do Yeon felt a surge of excitement growing within her as her gaze followed him closely. Wonho combed his fingers through his hair, brushing away whatever loose strands that were sticking onto his forehead. Drops of sweat trickled down his face and trailed down his neck before disappearing underneath his tee. Even then, the man still looked attractive, making Do Yeon question how that was even possible. After what seemed like forever, Wonho finally neared the goal. He drew in his leg and was prepared to strike but was obstructed by a tackle that came from a blind spot. Getting caught off guard, Wonho's momentum was lost and that threw him off balance as he plummeted to the ground. Subconsciously, Do Yeon jolted from her seat with her eyes wide open. A short groan of pain escaped his lips as he sat up and examined his scraped knee. Do Yeon managed to catch a hint of blood glistening from the freshly made wound before his knee got removed from her sight with a shift in his position. The whistle was blown once more, halting the game. The chatter died down and all eyes were on the two.

"Hey, sorry about that, man, I got a tad bit excited there. Are you okay?" One of the players from the opposing team, Su Ha, asked as he offered his hand to help Wonho up. Fixing his attire, Wonho lightly brushed his knee. Upon seeing his knee once more, Do Yeon's brows knitted together.

Where is the wound? She asked herself.

"Yeah, don't worry about it. I'm good," Wonho replied, a smile tugging at his lips as he patted the other's shoulder for assurance. The match went on as though that whole incident didn't happen but Do Yeon was still left scratching her head. She kept a close eye on Wonho, her gaze constantly falling onto his knee to check if the wound was actually there but in a different spot. She saw nothing, absolutely nothing. Maybe I was hallucinating.

Brushing off the matter, Do Yeon gave the match her focus once more and she was almost absorbed in it - almost. From the corner of her eyes, she noticed Wonho slowing down to a halt and looking far into the distance. He had his eye on something...or someone. She followed his gaze only to discover that he was looking at Su Ha who had possession of the ball. Chills ran down her spine as she observed the look in Wonho's eyes. It hadn't been past three seconds since she had looked at him yet her chest was growing heavy. She rolled her shoulders, thinking that her body was merely tensing out for no apparent reason yet she still felt the same contracting feeling within her. Before she could ponder over what thoughts roamed his mind or why he had stopped chasing after the ball, a loud cry of pain came from the other end of the field.

Her attention was snatched and so was everyone else's. Su Ha had fallen onto the ground and was clutching his knee. Blood trickled down his calf, leaving him a groaning mess. Do Yeon studied the other players, wondering what on earth had just happened and who had caused the guy's injury only to see all of them looking as confused as she was None of them was of close proximity and had no capability to tackle him in a way he would suffer that big of a wound. Do Yeon felt a sudden urge to look at Wonho once more and that was when she saw it - the smirk slowly creeping onto his face. As soon as it appeared, it was gone. Do Yeon watched as the guy jogged towards the Su Ha. Offering his hand, Wonho helped him up and almost immediately slung Su Ha's arm around his shoulder.

"Coach, I'm taking him to the nurse's office," Wonho informed without waiting for the latter's response. Everyone was still in the state of confusion as Wonho brought out the limping guy. No one knew what had happened despite Su Ha being in their line of vision. It was as though they were robbed of their vision for a moment long enough for the whole accident to take place. Do Yeaon looked fixedly as Wonho's figure disappeared from her sight. Questions lingered in her head. The look he shot at Su Ha before the former fell kept flashing in her mind. The intensity of his gaze, the prolonged halt in his chase for the ball, the darkness radiating from him as a whole - Do Yeon couldn't stop thinking about that one scene. Digging into her bag for her phone, she dialed a number and without even letting three rings pass, the person from the other end had picked up her call.

"Hey, can you do a background check on someone for me?"


 

A/N: Anddd, there goes Chapter 1 of this story. How's it so far? I hope I've held your interest. Shoutout to my current subscribers, ya'll are my source of motivation. Hope to see more comments. Let me know what you think of it so far :D xx