Americano

Americano

"One Americano, take away please."

 

Sungyeol fidgeted while she looked him in the eye. "Coming right up! That'll be $3.50 please." She smiled. His fingers failed him when he accidentally scattered his coins all over the ground while trying to take out the exact amount as he let out an exasperated sigh. Luckily there wasn't any one queuing behind him, so he didn't have get all nervous under the pressure of the bystanders and drop his coins again, though he tried to pick them up quickly. "H-Here" he stuttered while he held his palm full of coins out.

 

She reached out and took the money from his hands, with her smile widening when her finger touched his skin. His ears turned red at the skinship, feeling all fluttery inside. "Thank you~" She said with a little giggle at the end. He moved aside and turned around, then waited for his precious Americano to arrive. Hoping to calm his heart that was beating tremedously, he moved his hand up to his chest and puffed up his cheeks. *Aish.. Why does she keep doing this to my heart...?* 

 

"It's Christmas Eve, aren't you spending it with your family or g-girlfriend?" She spoke, startling him a little as he spun around. She was smiling but looked away awkwardly when he didn't say a word. Tongue-tied, all he could do was sound a few uh-s and try to make up a sentence that made sense. He had never said anything to her other than 'One Americano, take away please.', 'Here' and 'Thank You'.

 

His voice became all squeaky when he could finally form a sentence, much to his disappointment. He'd always found his squeaky voice and chubby cheeks to be his complex. "Ah y-yes I'm done celebrating today... With my family I mean" he smiled awkwardly and scratched the back of his neck. Apparently it seemed that he felt that the longer he was around her, the less nervous he'd feel. "I don't have a g-g-girlfriend" He spazzed at the word unintentionally. He felt his cheeks on fire when he really how much of a fool he'd made out of himself. She chuckled and pinched his cheek, "You're adorable."

 

He felt as if he was in Paradise (GET IT MUAHAHA) when he heard that one magical sentence. *Does it means she likes me? Or does she think that I'm adorable only when I stutter and make a fool out of myself.... Aish.. Or maybe she really thinks I'm cute!! Ahhhh what does it mean...* He furrowed his brows as he got lost in his own thought. "Mm." She nudged his drink towards his hand and he looked up, locking his gaze on hers. Time felt like it had stopped, and they felt like they were the only people in the world for that moment.

 

"Minhee!" Someone from the kitchen called, distracting them. "Yes?" She called back as she ran into the kitchen. Yeol blew his bangs and grinned like a fool to himself, as he walked out of the cafe with his Americano in his hand.

 

He took a sip and 'Ahhhh~'ed, taking in its warmth on a cold winter day. "Ya!" He could hear someone faintly calling out but he didn't stop walking since he didn't think that person was calling for him. "Ya!!" The person called a second time, and her voice was definitely louder. In the next second he felt a tug on his coat and he turned around, surprised to see Minhee herself. She panted a little and stood up straight, as she held out her hands, revealing a pink tin of chocolates. She tiptoed a little, cupped with one hand and whispered "Merry Christmas~". At that moment, he was too stunned to do anything. She placed the tin of chocolates in his hand and ran back to the cafe. Turning back one last time, she waved and her figure disappeared into the cafe.

 

He blinked a couple of times and smiled at himself while he looked at the precious tin in his hands. "WAAAAAAAAAAA~" he screamed with one hand holding the tin to his heart and another up in the air, dropping his cup of Americano on the ground at the same time. His Americano was part of daily life for him, but the gift meant so much more.

 

"Tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the day I show you my heart." He mumbled to himself while walking home, feeling extremely blissful at that moment. He turned back to look at the cafe once more, the cafe where he found his first love.