Prologue

A Long Story for Our Short Lives

It was late Summer—or early Autumn, whatever you like—and a new school year would begin soon. The sun was still shining brightly even it was long after noontime. Cold breezes could be felt every now and then. Fields were filled with so many colorful flowers.

At one particular field (which only filled with purple and blue flowers and sometimes, white cogon grass), two boys lied underneath their tree (they claimed it was theirs because they got their names carved on it), exhausted after playing and running around the field. No words were coming from their mouth except their ragged breath. After some time, the taller one sat up and stared at the smaller yet older one. ”Ryeonggu, I heard that if you’re thinking about someone and then you unconsciously started to smile and you can’t live without each other and you both want to be with each other forever, that’s when you know you are soulmates.”

“Really?” The smaller sat up too, facing the other. “Forever seems like a very long time. But I think it nice to have your friend by your side, right Kyukyu? And I can’t bear a day at school without you.” The smaller smiled.

“Yeah, I’d rather skip school if you’re not attend it.”

They both seemed in a deep thinking, and once again, they fell into very much comfortable silence.

 

The silence broke when a slightly-high pitched voice uttered his thoughts. “Then, do you think we’re soulmates, Kyuhyun-ah?”

Kyuhyun thought for a moment. “I’m not really sure, but I hope that we are. It always feels great when I’m with you.” The taller kissed his cheeks and then pulled his best friend into a hug. He pulled back after awhile and held the latter’s shoulder. His face and voice turned into a serious one. “Ryeonggu, if we’re really soulmates, would you promise me that you will be with me forever? Promise me that you will be there for me, and I promise that I will be there for you, Wook-ah.”

“K-kyuhyun-ah…” The smaller was so touched. He could feel tears trying to escape his eyes.

The taller was shocked, not expecting the latter would be crying. He knew that Ryeowook’s a crybaby, but he thought that the latter would be ecstatic. “Ryeong, w-why are you crying? Did I ask you too much? If you d-don’t want to, it’s o-okay…” He could feel his eyes sting, and apparently, his heart too, thinking that his best friend didn’t want to be with him.

“N-no! I-it isn’t like that! I was so happy that you want to be my soulmate, Kyu-ah, so happy that I cried!” The smaller giggled while he’s still crying.

“R-really? It’s not because you don’t want me?” The taller asked, and smiled when the smaller nodded. “I… I promise that I will make you smile every day, Wook-ah! A-and you don’t have to make me smile because I will smile every time I see or think about you!” The taller held his hand and stared deeply into his eyes. “So, Wook-ah would you like spending your eternity with me?”

The smaller smiled, then leaned closer and whispered something into his ear. But before he spoke two-three words, their mothers suddenly shouting both of their names, asking them to come back because the sun will be setting anytime soon. Afraid of their mothers, they both stood up and ran back to the house.

 

At the age of 9 and 10, they made a promise and the sun witnessed it all.

 

 

 

 

---

Hi all! I'm so sorry because I've just updated now...

Last week was so hectic because of the exams and stuffs... I'll try to add new chapter on Thursday, but I can not promise anything :(

Please do subscribe, and comments are warmly welcomed :D

Once again, sorry for this delayed chapter!!!

Thank you!!!