A House Divided

Project V

Ricky walked back towards the living room, a smile still lingering on his face. He knew Minsoo had told him to let Changjo be alone, but he couldn't just leave him in there to be miserable. For the most part Ricky had recovered from his breakdown earlier, but his eyes were still a little red and puffy from crying. The same thing happened almost every time he fed; at the sight of the blood packets, he completely lost himself and became a Virus-powered monster. When he regained control, all he could feel was guilt and horror. He hated it, he hated himself for it, but it was better than the alternatives. He stepped into the living room, which was lit only by the moonlight streaming in from the windows.

"And what do you think you're doing?" someone said, making Ricky jump. Minsoo stepped out of the small hallway that led to his room, the moonlight casting sharp shadows on his face, making him look sinister. Ricky could just make out the faint lines of veins around his mouth, and a few beginning to show under his eyes as well.

"I couldn't let him sit in there miserable and alone. I had to talk to him," Ricky stammered, fidgeting nervously. Minsoo smiled and shook his head.

"Whatever, it doesn't really matter. It's probably good that you get to know him anyway. Niel and I are going out. We'll be back in a few hours," he said, walking towards the door. Niel followed close behind, avoiding looking at Ricky.

"Out where? To do what?" Ricky demanded, his hands curling into tight fists. The two stopped in their tracks. 

"You know where, and you know why," said Niel softly, though he still didn't look at Ricky.

"Fine, but don't you dare bring them back here!" Ricky snapped, trying to keep his as quiet as he could, "You know you don't have to do it like this. There's other ways..."

"No. There's not. I can't steal enough blood for all of us. I know you're a special circumstance, but the rest of us...for the rest of us, this is the only way," Minsoo said sharply, turning back towards the door. 

"Well you're sure as hell not going to--"

"I will do whatever I want, and there's nothing you can say about it. I'm in charge of you, not the other way around. You are my responsibility, but I am not yours," Minsoo growled, wrenching the door open and slamming it shut behind him. Niel stood staring after him in shock.

"Well, go! Go with him! Get out of here!" Ricky said, his clenched hands trembling slightly. Niel shook his head.

"Ricky, I'm sorry..." Niel said, taking a step towards the door.

"Please, just promise me that you won't bring them back with you..." Ricky whispered

"I promise." With that, Niel stepped out the door and took off after Minsoo. Ricky sighed and walked back down the hall, passing his room and going to Chunji and Byunghun's. He knocked softly before turning the handle and stepping into the room. Chunji lay curled up on his mattress on the floor, and Byunghun sat beside him with his back against the wall, absently curling the other boy's blonde hair around his fingers.

"Hey," Byunghun murmured, looking up at Ricky. He patted the floor to his right and Ricky went to sit beside him.

"Can't sleep?" He asked, and Byunghun nodded. "Niel and Minsoo...went out. They'll be back in a while."

"I could hear you guys arguing. Why do you always have to fight with them about it?" Ricky pulled his legs up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them.

"Because. Minsoo acts just like the Project wants him to. He doesn't even try to fight it. I just don't get it...how can he do what they want? How can he hurt people? Kill them?" Ricky said, disgusted.

"He doesn't kill them," Byunghun replied, shaking his head, "he's never killed them."

"Why do you say that?"

"He told me."

"But I saw him once...I saw him drink a girl's blood, all of it! She was dead!"

"She wasn't dead, Ricky."

"How do you know that?"

"Because I do. Don't try to pry too much into his life or the way he does things. Minsoo's...different. He's a C System. That means he was selected, taken to headquarters while he was still a human, kept there, and then changed. I don't know what exactly happens between when they take you and when you're turned but...being a System is different for him. I don't understand him, but I trust him. He told me he didn't kill the humans he drinks from, and so I believe it." Chunji shifted in his sleep, and Byunghun's voice dropped to a whisper, "You should too. All Minsoo's ever done is taken care of us. The least you could do is not call him a murderer." Ricky sighed, and there was a silence for several moments. Byunghun continued to play with Chunji's hair, and Ricky dropped his chin onto his knees. 

"You care about him too much," Ricky said blankly.

"Minsoo?"

"No. Chunji. What...um...what exactly is he to you?" Ricky asked, turning his head to see Byunghun's face.

"You wouldn't understand," he said, smiling softly. Ricky raised his eyebrows. "It's not like that, though. So don't think it is."

"Whatever you say, I guess," Ricky said, raising his arms in surrender. Byunghun laughed and shoved him.

"Don't be such a weirdo! Not everything is just black and white," he explained, looking down at Chunji, who mumbled something unintelligible in his sleep.

"Okay, okay, I get it," Ricky said, standing, "I'm going to bed. See you in the morning." Byunghun nodded and waved at Ricky as he crept quietly out of the room.