The revelation of a lonely soul

Man of Letters

The little postmen felt that it’s odd that this man did not answer the bell when he rang it especially when he know how eager the man is to receive those letter. He told himself that maybe the man is busy or he went for grocery shopping. So, he put the letter in the letter post and go on with day.

The postmen went on duty the next day and found that there is no letter for the man and he find it extremely odd that there is no letter at all. He told himself that maybe the man’s pen pal is busy and the letter will come soon tomorrow.

The third day came and yet there is still no letter for him. The postmen find it odd and decided to stop by the man’s house to see if there’s anything amiss from his usual routine that everyone know so well. He remember he left the letter he delivered two days ago in the letter box and decided to check the letter box. To his surprise, the letter is still inside the box. The postmen felt extremely odd and decided to call the police to check on the poor man because he knew that he would never miss the letter.

The policemen came and search the house, but only to find the corpse of a gentleman. The other thing that surprise the policemen is the amount of letter that fills the room. The police knew immediately that it was a suicide as there was no sign of forced entry. However, they took those letter to see if there is any proof that would suggest otherwise.

All the letter just show an intimate exchange between two individuals. One would confess their deepest and darkest thoughts while the other would try their best to comfort and encourage them to live a better life. They finally understand why the man is always this eager and happy to receive this letter because those letter represent the little hope he needed to get through his day.

The police try to find the receiver as they need to investigate the relationship he or she had with the deceased, however it was unfruitful. The police enlist the help of the postmen who deliver the letter to the deceased on a daily basis but it’s still hopeless. The postmen re-told the policemen everything he knew and felt the day he call the policemen, but he failed to mention the last letter he delivered to the deceased that is still inside the letter box.

The postmen only realize the missing piece in this puzzle when he walk past an old letter box. He phoned the policemen to inform him the last letter he delivered to the deceased. The policemen found the last letter sitting patiently in the letter box, just waiting to be discovered. He read the letter and weep.

That letter was the last missing piece to this puzzle and the revelation of this gentleman’s life. The letter reveals that this gentleman has been suffering from depression which explain his early retirement. It also confessed that he had plans to kill himself and that this letter was the evidences of all that he has done in his life time. What is penned inside this letter is a detail description of how he felt all his life and how he crafted this other person who cares so much for him.

There was no one who wrote to him. He was writing to himself. He felt extremely lonely and it hurts him to carry all this weight on his shoulder. He thought that creating another persona would help him fill the loneliness in his heart which propel him to write to himself.

There is where he started the rituals of him confessing all his thoughts on pen and delivering it to himself while the other persona take turn to comfort him. He would write his feelings and put the letter in the big letter box outside of the post office in the middle of the nights so that he can receive it the next day and the cycle repeats itself again and again.

It seems to work at first and it’s therapeutic even, but he knew that those words of comfort is just another fabricated lie that he told himself with another persona. He felt lonelier than ever after that realization and it’s safe to say that he broke his own spell.

Suicide has always been on his mind. He just didn’t found the motivation or guts to do it. He finally found it when he broke his own safe haven. He decided to write this confession because he’s sick of lying and acting like he’s fine when he is breaking from the inside out. He is just so tired of living this lie that he feels he can finally be free. He can finally be liberated from living and acting. He can finally be himself. But sadly, being himself meant being dead forever.