The gentleman we known

Man of Letters

This is the story of a man who is known as the man of letter. The story of this man of letter comes from the endless letter he keeps in his home. The postmen would deliver the letter to this man while he would write back on a daily basis without fail. The dear little postmen who dutifully deliver those letter did try to ask him who those letter were from, but all did this man did is just to thank the postmen with a smile and a day of hard work.

Everyone who knew him know he live alone without any relative or love ones. This made them curious as to who is writing this letter to him on a daily basis, but they knew it was someone who is dear to him as the smile he bore when he receive those letter were brighter than the sun on a summer afternoon.

He is a simple man who had enter into an early retirement. Exhaustion is written all over his action, but his eyes and smiles assured everyone around that he is indeed ok. No one truly know how old is he as all he did is just smile whenever anyone try to seek the answer. But you could tell that those eyes filled with kindness have seen the world and all it ugliness.

There are times where it felt as if he was not mentally present in conversations, but everyone dismissed it by saying that the poor man is probably had a poor night of sleep. Being the nice neighbour he is, he assured his neighbour that he’s just a little tired from the daily actives and that there it’s nothing to worry about.

He leads a very peaceful life compare to his neighbour who worry about the rush hours and their children’s future. All he did was tend to the garden he had, had those 3 meals and wait for the postmen to deliver the letter. Come to think of it, it was quite odd that they never seen this men send his letter to the post office, but they only see him receive them.

Some of his neighbour did advise him to send short message in Facebook or maybe emails instead of sending letter to that friend of his as it reduces the cost and also the time, but he insist on writing letter as he felt that there is something intimate about writing it instead of typing it out and that it show effort which is greatly appreciated by both parties. He did add that he just love the beauty of writing the letter, sending it and waiting for a reply.

To many, he seem to be someone who had it all. A man who has the freedom to do whatever he wants without a single care or worry about the world. Someone who is happy and content with the little things he had in life with him right now. A lovely gentleman that is welcomed by everyone around him. It’s almost like God has blessed this man with everything that is right.

But many didn’t know the struggle that hide behind those kind eyes. No one knew how lonely he felt when there is no one around him when darkness comes. No one knew that he is suffering from depression which leads him to his early retirement. No one knew that he is so lonely that he write to himself every day to feel like he is living. Most importantly, no one knew is about to end his life right here and right now.