LE.1

Loose End
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After getting back from the kitchen, she plops down on the sofa and places her ice cold bottle of soda down. She reaches out for the remote control across the table and turns the tv on. She browses through the channels hoping to find something worthwhile to watch, and settles for the first variety show she could find. It’s a new one probably because they haven’t gone on it yet, she thinks. She places the remote control down and grabs her soda. The moist has already condensed on its sides so she grips it a little harder to be able to open its cap. Once the cap was removed, and the sound of the bubbles as the spirit of the soda escapes, she gulps it down and enjoy the feeling of the cold drink quench her thirst.


She hears a door, probably from their room, open, but she didn’t turn her head to look at it. She allows herself to get engrossed with the show she’s watching until she felt a presence beside her. She sees Nayeon sitting down beside her and she offers her a polite smile.


“Still waiting for Chaeng?” The older one quips as she joins in watching the tv.


The ballerina just smiles again, neither denying nor confirming anything. She just brings the soda near again and drinks it, finishing it in one go. She returns her attention back to the show thinking that the older one is already finished talking.


“Everyone knows, Mina. You shouldn’t be so shy about it.” She hears Nayeon speak up again. This time she decided to pretend like she didn’t hear it.


It is true though, what Nayeon said. Everyone knows that Mina has a certain fondness of their rapper maknae. Even Chaeng knows, yet she still gets awkward when others point it out. It is also true that she is in fact waiting for Chaeng to arrive. It’s already past midnight, and the rapper has classes tomorrow. It’s a good thing she’s with Jeongyeon. It makes her feel a little bit secured that the two would arrive in one piece, and she’s hoping that they’ll get home sooner.


Mina glances at her unnie beside her and she sees Nayeon munching on the popcorn she had prepared earlier. Being the polite girl that she is, it kept on bothering her that she hasn’t said a single word to the older so she musters up the courage to speak up.


“I just can’t sleep.” She says quietly, to which the older one responds by simply nodding her head. It is the truth though, Mina thought, but it probably sounded more like a defence. Once again she looks at Nayeon, and the older one just keeps her eyes glued on the tv, deciding not to pound further on Mina.


At times like this Mina is thankful to Nayeon. Ever since, Nayeon has always been there for Mina, a shoulder to cry on, or simply an unnie that will stay by her side when needed. Just the mere presence of the older one relaxes her, calms her down. Probably because the way Nayeon asks her, shouts concern instead of judgement. The things she just mentioned earlier, she says it as a statement, a fact, and not as an accusation. She talks to Mina, like she’s reassuring her that what the ballerina is feeling and what she’s doing is okay and nothing that she should be ashamed about. Nayeon may be the fake maknae, that’s what everyone calls her, but she certainly takes the responsibility of being the oldest one seriously, taking care of them in her own way like what Mina is witnessing right now.


Once again, the two of them fell into a comfortable silence, letting the so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter