Change of ways

Secret of the Eastern Sky 동쪽 하늘 의 비밀

Upon entering the room, there was already a tense atmosphere surrounding them. Kyungsoo keeps in a heavy breath and lock eyes with the floor. He wished there were a pillow so he can plunge his head on it, just so he doesn’t have to face the angry prince wanting to tackle him.

 

“That is the maid! The one that offended both Joohyuk and I. Her reckless actions made me feel insulted as a prince.”

 

“Baekhyun, she already knows she was wrong. There are more important things than you staring my maid down and holding a grudge. Let’s make amends.”

 

Meeting Baekhyun isn’t exactly what Chanyeol wanted to do, but since Baekhyun and Joohyuk had tons of experience by sneaking out of the palace all the time, Chanyeol figured they would be helpful.

 

Without a moment of hesitation Baekhyun gets up from his chair, “Hyungnim, this is coming off as a surprise to me. First off, you’re visiting my quarters and even asking me for help, just so you can take this maid outside, which also happens that this maid was the one who offended both Joohyuk and I. You’re acting a bit careless as the crown prince.”

 

Chanyeol pause to think about it for a brief second, with a small grunt Chanyeol folds his arms across his chest, “She has saved me when someone tried to assassinate me. I wanted to do something because I felt indebted towards her.”

 

“She’s a maid. Her sole duty is to protect you.”

 

“If you are going to be stubborn about this I won’t bother asking you. But I will also remind you, you shouldn’t have been sneaking off in the first place, so what my maid did was not wrong.”

 

Baekhyun was about to say something in response to that, but Joohyuk interrupted, “Hyungnim, I can help you. I want to leave the palace today anyways. Let’s go together.”

 

“That’s my little brother.” Chanyeol softly smiles.

 

Hearing the familiar term of endearment makes Baekhyun’s expression turn sour, a combination of bitter and exasperation. “Don’t be so reckless Joohyuk. I’ll lead the way. You will just get them into trouble.”

 

Chanyeol smiles briefly and shakes his head. Baekhyun might be a bit hot tempered and stubborn, but he will push it all aside just so he could have fun.

 

-----

 

“This way hyung, the gatekeeper is distracted” Joohyuk whispers.

 

Kyungsoo could feel Baekhyun’s gaze on him the whole time they used a different gate to escape. They all wore commoner clothing to travel in discretion. Baekhyun waits for Chanyeol and Joohyuk to walk ahead as he trails behind with Kyungsoo and locks eyes with him. Kyungsoo shakes in fear as he tries to avoid Baekhyun’s deep stare.

 

“I-I sincerely apologize again, your highness. I truly did not know you were a prince at the time. You were dressed in common clothes and-”

 

“Even if I was dressed like that, how could you not recognize a face of royalty?”

 

The expression of Baekhyun was quite difficult to read and makes Kyungsoo feel tense. “I have no doubt that you somehow gained my brother’s favor, but you won’t gain my favor that easily. I know everything around the palace and nothing escapes my ears.”

 

Instead of finding the prince more intimidating, he just seems like he knows how to brag about himself. He seems a bit bipolar as well. Suddenly he breaks into a small smile, “Truth be told you were the first maid that has ever talked to me in such matter. It was interesting and it made me remember you.”

 

“I deserve death for speaking to you that way…”

 

Baekhyun scoffs, “How about this? Since I cannot forgive easily, you owe me a favor?”

 

“A-A favor?”

 

“Yes. I can’t think of one right now but when I do, you will have to follow through with it. How about that?”

 

Perhaps it was the way that the prince is in more power than him that he couldn’t reject such an absurd statement. Kyungsoo agrees and Baekhyun lets out a toothy smile.

 

-----

 

While Joohyuk and Baekhyun were in the market (probably causing a commotion), Chanyeol follows Kyungsoo into his home in the village. There, Chanyeol finds and old commoner and a girl probably four years younger than Kyungsoo feeding her sick father.

 

Before any questions could be ask, the young girl gets up from her seat and wraps her arms around Kyungsoo. The hug was suffocating because it’s been a long time since they have last seen each other.  

 

“Kyunghee, what is wrong with father?”

 

“He’s been ill for days from overworking.” Tears falls from Kyunghee’s eyes.

 

As Kyungsoo leans down to look at his sick father, a pang of longing hit his heart, making his smile shift in sadness. He could still recall everything about his father, knowing the man is passionate and gentle by nature. The old man slowly opens his eyes and touches Kyungsoo’s cheeks.

 

Chanyeol knows they probably have a lot to talk about so he steps outside to wait. Seeing him leaving, Kyunghee moves closer to Kyungsoo.

 

“W-Who is that man?”

 

“He’s the crown prince.” Kyungsoo could see the changes in his father’s eyes as he holds his father’s hands. “Don’t worry father, he isn’t here to hurt you. He is actually helping me see you, he’s a very kind man.”

 

Knowing they probably have a lot of questions, Kyungsoo fills them in on everything that could be said. Of course there were things he is forbidden to talk about.  

 

-----

 

Chanyeol walks around the area, seeing old commoners using different necessities as a mean to survive. The children were working, to help their parents, and everyone is wearing ripped article of clothing. Even a small amount of potato makes their eyes light up in happiness.  

 

Comparing this to the way they are treated in the palace is different. This is how Soo used to live? Not like the palace is any different, but the atmosphere here did feel more like family. They do not have a lot, but they have each other. While the palace, Chanyeol calls for anything and the item will be there within a minute, but it still feels empty.

 

No one is honest and trustworthy.

 

He has his mother, but their relationship isn’t like this. He is filial to her, but he cannot feel a sense of entity of devotion from her. She brags about him only because she is always competitive with Empress Kim. But never have he heard her express signs of actually loving him, the throne is what she loves and place great importance to.

 

Its no wonder, even though someone might look like they have everything, they are the ones that are most empty.

 

“Your highness”

 

Chanyeol turns around to see a pair of wide eyes looking at him. For some reason his heart is blossoming again.

 

-----

 

“This village is old but there’s a sense of bond. At night I used to lay here and listen to the sounds of insects, and distantly hear the sound of life on the wind. I enjoyed running around, feeling the wind in my hair and stare at the stars twinkling in the skies. My mother passed away when I was 10, those hard tumultuous years were difficult. My vibrant mother was taken away because of her illness left me utterly destroyed. But that’s when I looked up at the sky and realized there was a new star, shining brightly in heaven. Then everyday my sister and I would prepare food so my father could sell it at the market. Making a living was tough because some lower officials would give us a hard time, but at the end of the day, we had each other.”

 

Chanyeol looks at Kyungsoo and sees the strongest person beside him. She is brave because of the hardships she’s been through. He’s never felt connection towards a maid before because they just listen to orders, never sitting down besides him and talk about themselves.

 

“You’ve been through a lot. I’m sure the palace isn’t treating you any better either…”

 

Kyungsoo smiles and shakes his head. “Truth be told your highness, I used to be very scared of the royal family. I think it’s because of the belief that one word they say, I could easily be sentenced to death. There were so many stories in the village about how small ones life is in the palace. I used to think it was true and that everyone was cruel, but then I met you. You went out of your way to help me reunite with my father and sister and for that, I owe you my deepest gratitude. My father’s illness was bad but when he saw me, it seems like he has gotten better. So thank you for your kindness, your highness.”

 

“Chanyeol”

 

“P-Pardon?”

 

“When we aren’t around any one, I rather you call me by my real name.”

 

“I-I cannot do that your high-”

 

“That’s my order Soo.”

 

Chanyeol’s lips curves up and Kyungsoo finds himself smiling as well. He doesn’t know if he was crossing the line but he was curious about Chanyeol.

 

“Then your high- I mean Chanyeol, how does it feel to be the crown prince?”

 

“To my mother it is an achievement, to me, it is stressful. I know my brothers are envious and it puts me in a difficult position because now I feel like a stranger to some of them. You see before me there was a previous crown prince, the 1st prince, who was poisoned by someone. It is believed to be a royal family member and it got us all suspicious of each other. There is no sense of love in the royal family when we are always at each other’s throats. I don’t trust anyone, my father, my mother, my brothers, or the royal officials. Everyone wants power and the way to be on top is by using mental reasoning. I have everyone at my feet when I order them around but I don’t feel any happiness.”

 

Kyungsoo listens and understands the crown prince’s struggle. From outside it seems like he has everything, but he lives a lonely life. Not being able to do anything he wants because he’s always put on constant watch, not wanting to let anyone down.

 

“Don’t feel sad because of my story” Chanyeol runs his finger through Kyungsoo’s long hair. “I’m just glad I have someone to share this with.”

 

Kyungsoo looks into Chanyeol’s eyes and feels the urge to tell Chanyeol the truth about his gender. They were already being honest to each other, but then in the back of his mind he remembers the 4th prince words.

 

I must warn you though, do not let the crown prince find out about this, figuratively speaking, he would be the person that is most likely to condemn your death because you have lied to him.

 

“Come on, we should head back.” Chanyeol gets up first and lends out a hand. Kyungsoo slowly lets Chanyeol hold his hand as Chanyeol helps him up.

 

“Your highness, I’m still a maid. Please don’t be so kind to me.” Kyungsoo is afraid if anyone were to see this they would misunderstand. It would get him in trouble, but also get the crown prince in trouble. That’s the last thing he wanted.

 

“I can’t help it when there’s a force that makes me want to get closer to you. Anyways, did you say your goodbyes?”

 

“I did. My father thank you and wished he could bow down to you.”

 

“Why did you tell him I’m the crown prince?”

 

“W-What did you want me to call you then?” Kyungsoo stutters, afraid he’s making the crown prince upset for his carelessness.

 

“I don’t know, a general who happens to be your boyfriend? I wanted to see if he would’ve approved me for his daughter.” Chanyeol is teasing this time but it cause Kyungsoo to blush. His face gets red and he has to look away to avoid embarrassment.

 

Chanyeol smiles to himself. Cute.

 

-----

 

When they meet up with Joohyuk and Baekhyun, Baekhyun is suspicious at the grin on Chanyeol’s face. The whole way back, he just looked overly happy. Baekhyun smiles and walks closer to his brother, in preparation for the story to come.

 

“The outside life is nice right? This is why Joohyuk and I always sneak out.”

 

“It is nice, and beautiful.” Chanyeol answers while looking at Kyungsoo.

 

“Will you come with us next time hyungnim?” Joohyuk grabs Chanyeol’s arm. “We are waiting for the lantern festival to sneak out. It’s apparently very beautiful and everyone makes their wishes on floating lanterns!”

 

“That sounds interesting. Would you like to join Soo?” Chanyeol looks at Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo’s eyes widen.

 

He bows, “If you allow me to come your highness.”

 

Joohyuk smiles at the two but Baekhyun eyes them suspiciously.

 

-----

 

Kyungsoo softly smiles in his bed while looking out his window. His mother’s star is shining brightly today. “Mother, you know what happened today right? I know this is crazy and that I’m clearly nothing when compared to him, but my heart is beating for him. I have never felt this way before.” Kyungsoo touches his rapidly increasing heart and smiles to himself when he sees Chanyeol’s face. “I know I’m being foolish but the feeling feels so great. He’s so charming and when I’m with him, I feel happy.”

 

A knock on the door makes Kyungsoo jump from his thoughts. He turns around to see a maid standing there. “Empress Park orders to see you.”

 

-----

 

Kyungsoo was pushed on the floor when he enters the Empress’s residence. His arms were shaking and his head was down.

 

“Today, I visited the east palace and did not see my son. I was told from the eunuch that he took you out of the palace. Thankfully this news didn’t spread to anyone because I was quick witted. Do you have any idea what type of trouble my son would’ve been in?” she grabs ahold of Kyungsoo’s long locks and pulls his hair back, making him whimper in pain.

 

“You caused my son so much trouble. He even had to carry you out during the ceremony and risk getting hurt by those assassins when you are merely just a maid.”

 

Her grip tightens and Kyungsoo could feel his some of his hair strands falling off.

 

“I apologize your royal highness” Kyungsoo tries to gain his composure. “I deserve punishment.”

 

“Very well.” She lets go of Kyungsoo’s hair and looks at her maid standing there with a wicked smile. She instructs her maid, “Slap that lowly maid, I don’t want you to stop until her face is red.”

 

The maid approaches Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo holds his breath. He closes his eyes when he feels the maid striking his left and right cheeks. His face falls to the side and his lips cracks when her nails made contact. Tears were falling out of his eyes when he feels the maid grab his hair so his face will lift up, and strike him again.

 

“Stop that this instant!” Chanyeol pushes through the door.

 

The maid trembles in fear and takes a step back. Chanyeol’s hands form into a fist as he looks at Kyungsoo’s cut lips bleeding and red face. His mother is just standing there with a frown upon her face.

 

“This is absurd. I’ve been telling you to visit me and you will not. The time when your maid gets hurt, you barge right in.”

 

“Mother, do you have any idea what you’re doing?! She is still wounded from taking the blade for me and now you’re hurting her.”

 

The anger was evident in Chanyeol’s eyes and it makes Empress Park pause. She eagerly steps closer to Kyungsoo and before she could lay a hand on the maid, Chanyeol grabs her arm, stopping her movements. “If you lay a hand on my maid without my permission, I will consider it the fact that you don’t care about me either.”

 

“She is a maid Chanyeol. A worthless maid that you took out of the palace, something you have never done before. You are not Baekhyun or Joohyuk. You are the crown prince! You have responsibility to uphold and do you wish to anger the emperor?”

 

“I don’t wish to anger the emperor. I also wish you don’t anger me.” Chanyeol leans down and helps Kyungsoo up. “It is getting late mother. Good night and please rest well.”

 

“W-What? What are you saying Park Chanyeol? Where are you going?”

 

-----

 

“Y-You didn’t have to do that for me. That would make your relationship with Empress Park turn rocky, your highness.”

 

“Quit talking or else your lips will crack more.”

 

Kyungsoo silence and looks at the crown prince moving closer to him. His eyes widen when he sees the cream on the prince’s fingers. “Your highness, I can apply it myself. You don’t have to-”

 

Kyungsoo becomes quiet when Chanyeol runs his finger across Kyungsoo’s lips. This has to be a dream. The crown prince is taking care of him! Who on earth would believe such a thing? He’s just a maid.

 

Chanyeol’s finger softens when he feels the plump lips. It’s wrong but he wants to kiss the maid in front of him so much. He shakes his head away from the thoughts and softly smiles. “Take care of yourself ok? Apply medications and rest well.”

 

“Thank you, your highness.”

 

It was then, when Kyungsoo makes eye contact with Chanyeol, he knows he has fallen for the crown prince even more.

 

-----

 

In the midst of the discussion in the council hall, Chanyeol doesn’t seem to focus. His mind is elsewhere and the government official tries to get his attention by clearing his throat. “There are more resources we need to cut off because the people are living just fine.”

 

The sentence captures Chanyeol’s attention as he harshly slams the table. “The people are not living fine. We just think that way because we are living in luxury. We should also look to end nepotism and focus in bringing in smart scholars who can help the palace grow.”

 

The blunt statement makes the government and high officials face turn into anger. Chanyeol is also surprised with his blunt statement, he usually thinks before he speaks and doesn’t run his mouth that freely. He wasn’t sure if it was because he has actually seen life outside the palace, or he was in the mood to make his father angry because the look the emperor was giving him was not a proud look.