Time, the greatest thief

Right Beside You [ON HOLD]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 2: Time, the greatest thief

         

May 1964

 

There was darkness in everywhere his eyes set upon. Song Minho, secret NASA astronaut, is finally in the uncertainty of space, traveling through unknown expanse, looking at the gaping universe that swallowed him whole.

When he was a kid he always dreamed about being in this exact space, a smile on his face making his jaw numb, excited hands waving in the air.

But now all he has is a heavy heart.

But of course he'll start to receive signals and instructions as to where he could observe the star that's about to collapse that will, God forbid, form the black hole. It's uncanny though, he should have heard something that asks if he's still alive right after the deployment but nothing came through the speaker inside the craft. Minho was starting to get nervous, anxious even as he remembered Kang’s hurried voice, what if something did go wrong?

Every time the thought crosses his mind, he found himself thinking of Taehyun's last message:

"I love you Minho."

Taehyun was never close to a mouthy person. He's more honest through his body language rather than the language coming from his own mouth. And to say that he loves him with so many people around… and with their being together was not yet accepted by the community…

"Taehyun…" Minho couldn't help but feel his heart tightening again, like it was about to cut off his breath at any given moment. He misses Taehyun already, although it had only been one day… if the digital clock inside the capsule was correct, then he had left Earth for almost a day now. But still, nothing came from his planet, not even a static.

Is it broken? Perhaps they can't find my capsule's signal?

In the very beginning Minho was aware that he had to risk all that he have. This mission was secretly done and was held behind the public eye to avoid penetration of the privacies of the delicate matter. Once news of the developing black hole spread through the media, the public might begin their own movement since they are not well-educated yet with how things develop in outer space. In their recent research, it might take the star to develop into a black hole in a matter of five to seven hundred Earth years, depending on the star's life cycle, but news are always distorted in any way when they go through any medium, and often made for attention – which the project tries to deviate from. It is sufficient to say that if news of the possible apocalypse start, the public will trigger panic, and affect everything from political to religious and economic views and trades.

The whole world would stop and the apocalypse will start even before the star touches Earth.

That's one of the gravest threats NASA has to face. Since they are still a newly-established branch of the government, they are yet to prove their sense to everybody, from President John Kennedy to every citizens of the Earth. They need to prove them that the budget allocated for their agency is not a waste of the national fund.

They need to build the image of NASA.

And Song Minho is the one who will determine this agency's future.

Minho didn't wait for the signals after the twenty-fourth hour. He could bother with them the moment they finally arrived, every second spent in this craft could equate to a day, so he better start locating the star himself. He didn't become an astronaut just for show. He had undergone special training and lessons just to be prepared for this epic observation.

The future of the Earth rests on his shoulders as well.

Now that he's thought of this, it's actually quite stressing. The pressure, it keeps on hanging around him every time because he just had two results to choose from – success of NASA, or its downfall.

" May 28, 1994

Maybe they have already deployed Saturn I sometime before or after this, I really can't tell since I'm playing with time. I am having difficulties on how to locate that special star that could be my planet's apocalypse but I won't be able to bear to land on Earth without anything with me.

I made my promise to Roberta, that I will be an astronaut and help Seung in his conquest.

And, I can't afford to lose now. Because when I get back, I will ask for Taehyun to be with me forever. We’ll get married somehow. I’ll find a way, perhaps even ask President Kennedy for his blessing. (This might be close to impossible but I’m doing something I thought was once impossible anyway too so never say die yeah?)

I don't know how he will answer. Even if it's against God, or society, or my role as an astronaut or even if the universe itself is against us.

I just know that I can't bear a life without him.

Wait for Song Minho, Nam Taehyun.

I will be with you forever after this.

Minho. "

Minho decided that after he accomplished his one true promise to Roberta, he will quit being an astronaut so he can finally be with his beloved Taehyun. Be it selfish. He will be selfish for once. After all, he had already devoted himself to the world for too long; it wouldn't hurt to finally devote himself to one person, right?

"May 29 1964

There are still no signals whatsoever from the base to my capsule, but I managed to observe the star and it's still on its early cycle. And at a safe distance from the Earth's gravitational field. The worst case that could happen is that it can pull in the Earth's satellite – Luna.

After the circumstances, it wouldn't be a problem for humankind until it reaches the mature stage at around four hundred years from now.

I can firmly say that the Earth is still safe and no black hole will gulp it down.

Now I can return to my beloved Taehyun.

I hope they could find my capsule at the soonest time possible.

Minho. "

This mission had gone from whole NASA to one man mission. Minho managed to control his craft to a safe distance where the star in the reports was, but he was still clueless as to how he'll be able to get back down to Earth. It was not a problem to float around in nothingness and just go on as asteroids waltz around his craft, but Minho couldn't help to think that this was not a part of the plan anymore. His eyes were nailed on his digital clock and after a few minutes, he will reach the third day of his voyage.

"I wonder what Taehyun is doing now."

A familiar screech of sound snatched Minho's attention, "NASA 52 to Capella 4. Is anybody there?"

Is there anybody? What kind of question is that? "Capella 4 to 52, Song Minho reporting, the star is in its earliest stage, and at a safe distance from the Earth. Based on observations and documents, the star will turn into a bolide or black hole at approximately four to seven hundred years time."

"Uhm…well done, Mister Song. This is Kang speaking, we are having difficulties reaching your unit."

"S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter