Chapter 36

Then You Came

"Now, what most people are curious about is your relationship with the famous bachelor... Jiyong Kwon." The host of the show asked. "The documentary about you made everyone asking... even I was curious about it." The host smiled.

Kiko chuckled. "There's nothing to be curious about, Sung-joo... We're just friends."

"Really?... That's not how everyone feels about it... Pictures of Jiyong in the bar when he aggressively approached Taecyeon are resurfacing."

"Well, Jiyong was just being random that night... He had a rough day and had too much of alcohol... He wasn't himself."

The host nodded but didn't have a look that he was satisfied with her response. "If your friends with the Jiyong Kwon, you'll know about this girl he's been seen with lately, too." He pointed at the picture on the huge monitor.

Kiko smiled sweetly. "Is this an interview about me or an interrogation about Jiyong's life?"

The host shrugged. "You're here... might as well we ask... I promise this will be the last."

Kiko stared at the picture and remembered her conversation with Jiyong over the phone.

"Dara didn't want to be introduced as my girlfriend."

"So, what's your plan?... I'll have an interview next week... They'll surely raise a question about you."

"I don't know... Tell them we're not together... I'll entrust the explanation to you."

"Any explanation?"

"As long as it would seem normal and Dara's name won't be a topic any more."

"She works for Jiyong... She's not his partner, I can tell you that. They're just really close because she's close with his niece and nephew."

"I see... She looks young and pretty... Just to comment on that picture... Anything that has a connection with this Bachelor really makes us want to know more, I suppose." He chuckled.

"He loves to play mysterious... That's why we keep wanting more news about him." She commented.

"Does he love playing mysterious with you, too?" He teased.

She laughed. "Wait 'til you see him smile and give you that stare in person. That smile that melts women's hearts."

"You sound excited when you talk about him."

"Do I?" She asked.

"Why?"

"Why what?" She sounded innocent.

"Oh, you know what I mean."

"I know you're trying to put words into my mouth... You tricky Sung-joo. We're friends."

"I thought I'll be able to make you admit." He snapped a finger.

She chuckled and smiled sweetly. "You're so playful... We're really just friends."

"For now."

She raised her shoulders slightly.

The interview went on talking about Kiko's modelling career and her plans in the entertainment industry.

************

...Dara...

"Excuse me for a few minutes... You can continue the presentation." Jiyong stepped out of the board room. "Hey, Love." He answered the call.

"Busy?" She asked.

"Actually, yes... I'm in the middle of a meeting."

"Oh, I'm sorry... I forgot about that."

"It's okay. Is it something urgent?"

"I just want to tell you something... But your meeting's more important... I'll just see you here at home."

"You sure you don't want to talk about it now?"

"It can wait... Go back to you're meeting. Sorry if I disturbed you."

"I'll come home early and bring Kim, Tim and your favorite."

"Yum... We'll expect that." She giggled.

"See you later. Love you."

"I love you, too. Bye."

Jiyong smiled after the line got disconnected. He went back to the board room to finish the meeting.

************

He wrapped his arms around her waist from behind and kissed her temple. "How's my Dara?"

Dara smiled, placed Tim's pajama over the bed, turned around and wrapped her arm around his neck. "I'm doing good... Have you eaten dinner?"

"Yes... I went on a date with Seungri. He was very persistent... You know that guy."

She chuckled. "Is he doing okay with the position you gave him?"

"He's getting used to it."

"Kin and Tim are in their playroom."

Jiyong nodded. "I went there to bring what I brought home."

"Egg tart?"

He smiled.

"Yum." She giggled which made him chuckle.

He kissed her temple one more time and gave her a tight hug. "They're already munching on it before I left to look for you."

"They really can't resist sweets." She unwrapped her arms that's on his neck, slid it on his shoulders and gently pulled out of his hug. "Now... before they can get overly excited with those tarts, let me finish getting their pajamas first so they can get ready for bed."

Jiyong sat on Kim's bed and watched Dara while she went to the twins' closet to prepare their sleeping clothes. "You were about to tell me something earlier, right?"

Dara peeped from the closet room to look at him. She gave him her cutest smile.

"What does that suppose to mean?" He chortled. "That look... I'm worried."

She went back to being busy with the twins' clothes. "I got really excited after getting that email so I called you earlier."

"What email?" He walked towards the closet room and stood in front of her, his hands placed in his pockets.

"Remember the art fair in Tokyo that I showed you before?" Dara look up to see his face.

"Oh, the one that showcases different artworks?"

Dara nodded, looking excited.

"Soo...? The email's about that?"

She grinned.

"You've been invited?" Jiyong asked, looking as if a light bulb has above his head.

She nodded with excitement.

"That's good news... You get to see other artists." He smiled and ruffled her hair. "When is it gonna be?"

"They said I have to be there next week. Preparation's gonna be for a month and they need to have my confirmation."

"Next week? And you'll be away for a month?"

"I think it's more than a month... It's a week-long fair." She stood up, placed Kim's clothes on her shoulder and smiled at him. "I haven't said YES to it... I just got excited with the thought that I was one of the selected artists among many of us... I didn't even know my friend has submitted an entry for me."

She walked past Jiyong and placed the clothes that were on her shoulder beside Tim's.

Jiyong held her by her wrist and made her face him.

"Why not say YES to it? It's your chance for your works to be recognized."

"How about the kids?"

"Dara, don't worry about Tim and Kim. I'll be here... and the 2 nannies are also there to take care of them."

She crinkled her nose but didn't reply.

He touched the tip of her nose with his forefinger and smiled. "I suggest you say YES to it. Have fun and do what you love to do."

"I'm still conflicted... I want to say YES to the offer but the other side of me says I just want to stay with you guys."

"Aren't you excited to see the other artists that's gonna be in the fair?"

"I am."

"Then don't hesitate. We'll be fine... Don't worry about us."

"But I'm afraid I'm gonna miss you and the twins... and the kids in the orphanage... Dae and Minzy... Mother Cecilia... Chaerin and Seungri..."

He chuckled as he slid his hand on hers, intertwining their fingers together. "There you go again with your word marathon... You're nervous."

She sat on the bed and sighed. "I am."

He sat beside her and rubbed the back of her hand with his thumb. "What are you nervous about?"

She chortled then placed her head on his shoulder. "I don't know... Being away, maybe... and I feel like my works are not good enough to be in that fair."

"You won't be chosen if you're not good."

"You think so?"

He chuckled. "Of course."

"You're not just saying that because I'm your girlfriend, are you?"

"Of course not... I'm telling the truth."

"So you think I should accept it?"

"I think you should." He shrugged.

She pulled her head up and looked at him while pouting. "But I'm not gonna see you for more than a month... again."

He cupped her cheeks with his hand and pinched them. "We can do video chat and call each other everyday... Just like what we did when I was in the US."

She took a deep breath and heaved another sigh. "You're right... I think I should do it. It's not always that I get this kind of offer."

"You have to talk to Kim and Tim about it, though... They're too clingy when it comes to you."

"I will... Now speaking of the twins, I have to check on them in the other room. It's getting late and they still have class tomorrow."

"Mind if I join you?"

She smiled widely. "Not at all."

They both stood up and headed towards the door. While on their way, Dara jumped right at Jiyong's back for a piggyback ride.

They were both laughing when they reached the twins' playroom.

"Mama, why are you riding Papa's back?" Kim asked after they got inside.

"I want to ride, too." Tim said.

"Me, too... I want to ride Papa's back." Kim seconded.

Dara hopped down Jiyong's back and stood in front of the kids with her hands on her waist. "It's time for you to get ready for bed."

"But..." Kim frowned.

"Mama's right... You still have school tomorrow." Jiyong spoke.

"Just one ride... Please, Mama." Tim pleaded.

Dara smiled at the two and replied, "Okay... But only until we reach your room, alright?"

"Yes... Yey..." The twins rejoiced.

While chuckling, Dara spoke to the two Nannies. "We'll take it from here, Lily and Anne... Sorry if I took so long. You can both rest now."

Both bowed to her and Jiyong before leaving the room.

"So, let's go?" Jiyong said. "Before Mama changes her mind." He whispered to the twins.

The two kids excitedly jumped on the couch and hopped on Dara and Jiyong's back.

"Oh my... Our princess has gained weight." Dara said after securing her on her back.

She giggled. "We ate the Tart that Papa brought."

"We reserved 2 Tarts for you, Mama... We know it's also your favorite." Tim said while wrapping his small arms around Jiyong's neck.

"Thank you." Dara smiled and pinched his cheek.

"I'll bring this box of tart so we won't go back here for this." Jiyong volunteered, reaching for the box with his free hand while the other one was securing Tim's weight on his back.

"Is everyone set?" Dara asked.

"Yes!" The twins replied.

"Let's go Captain Jiyong." Dara said and marched forward.

Jiyong followed behind, laughing.

***********

"Tim, sit here beside Mama." Dara asked after they've finished preparing the twins for bed.

Kim was already sitting on her lap.

"Mama's gonna tell you something." Jiyong said while seated on Kim's bed adjacent to where Dara was seated.

"What is it Mama?" Tim got curious about it, he immediately obliged and sat next to his Mama.

"Mama's not gonna be here next week." Dara started.

"Aren't we allowed to go with you?" Kim asked, touching Dara's cheek.

"I'll be flying to Japan and Mama can't bring you with me."

"Japan?... That's far from here, right?" Tim asked.

"Yes... That's why you have to stay here with Papa." Jiyong replied.

"How long will you stay there, Mama?" It was Kim.

"More than a month."

Tim's forehead creased while pouted, as if thinking of something. "How long is a month Papa?"

"Almost the same as when I left, baby."

"That long?" Kim frowned. "But I don't want Mama to leave." She rested her head on Dara's chest.

"We still can see each other just like what we did when Papa was away." Dara hugged Kim and tapped her thigh.

"And your Nannies are here to take care of you... Papa's gonna be here, too." Jiyong tried to console them.

"What are you gonna do there?" Tim was looking down.

Dara smiled and pulled him closer, gently tapping his cheek. "Mama's going to show people my artwork... And I'm gonna make new ones for the exhibit... That's why I will be away for a little while."

"Why don't we just send it there... You can make it here... Timmy and I will help you, Mama." Kim suggested.

"But baby, Mama has to be there so that people will know who created the artwork." Jiyong tried to reason out.

"Papa's right, Kim." Tim spoke with slumped shoulders.

"Why the sad face?" Dara asked, pinching his cheek.

"Because we're going to miss you." Tim looked at her.

"You still can talk to me everyday... We'll videochat, too."

"You'll never notice that Mama's away." Jiyong said.

The twins didn't reply.

"I have an idea." He tried to catch their attention.

The twins and even Dara looked at him with anticipation.

"We'll go with Mama... but we can only stay there for two days during your time off at school."

"Really, Papa?" Kim's face brightened up.

"Uh huh." He nodded while smiling.

"I don't think that's a good idea." Dara disagreed.

"Why Mama?" Tim asked.

"Papa and I will talk about it, okay?... Now, you both have to go to sleep. You still have class to attend to tomorrow."

"Mama, please agree to what Papa said... We want to go with you even if it's just for two days." Kim held Dara's face with her little hands.

Dara kissed the tip of her nose. "We'll see... Now, lie down on your bed and sleep."

Tim moved and climbed up his bed and lay his body on it while Dara carried Kim and lay her down on the bed next to her brother's.

"Goodnight." Dara told Kim and kissed her on the cheek. She moved to Tim and did the same.

"Goodnight babies." Jiyong followed and kissed both the twins' cheeks consecutively.

"Goodnight." The twins replied.