Ep. 3: Meeting HOT5 (PART 1)

Wedded!
Please log in to read the full chapter

Ep. 3: Meeting HOT5 (PART 1)

After the previous filming session, Jinyoung’s not particularly looking forward to today’s one. He doesn’t know if Yugyeom would pretend the outburst at the diner didn’t happen for the show, or whether he’ll want to talk about it. Then again, maybe that’s the least of his worries, considering who they have as guests for today’s episode.

Jinyoung sighs, only hoping things will go well with the filming today, fidgeting in the car as his manager pulls into a building he hasn’t been to in for a while.

 

 

“They want to what?” Jinyoung asks, trying to keep his voice calm although he can feel the volume rising.

His manager sighs from the other side of the phone, then says, “I know it’s short notice, but the producers think it’s time for you guys to meet each other’s close friends, get to know each other better and all. You need to find someone to bring. Maybe Jackson? He’s pretty popular lately, even if he produces more than he sings.”

Jinyoung rubs his eyes, mumbling some sounds of agreement, although that’s not the main worry on his mind at the moment. No, he can probably call someone even if it’s short notice – someone being most likely Jackson, because honestly Jinyoung doesn’t have that many close friends, let alone close friends who are celebrities – but the problem lies in the earlier bit of what his manager had said.

“Is Yugyeom-ssi bringing s?”

His manager clearly doesn’t think this is what Jinyoung had gotten hung up on, because he replies dismissively, “Of course he is. The viewers will expect him to; not to mention the production team is pretty much telling him to bring s for this episode. HOT5’s going to boost the ratings! It’ll be good for you –“

At some point in his manager’s well-meaning speech about how Yugyeom and HOT5 can help him gather publicity, Jinyoung tunes out.

 

 

They’re in the parking lot of JYP building, his manager stepping out once he kills the engine. “Come on, let’s go,” his manager urges, hurrying him through the door where there are already fans eagerly waiting outside even though it’s still early in the morning. Jinyoung ducks his head, trying to ignore the flashes of light indicating that he’s getting photos taken and the fact that the fans are probably only interested in him because he’s fake-married to Yugyeom and would scarcely have paid him any heed if that wasn’t the case. He hurries into the building.

The inside of JYP building is still relatively how he remembers it from his trainee days, and if Jinyoung’s manager notices that he’s moving around the place without much difficulty, he doesn’t mention it (or maybe his manager is just glad that he doesn’t have to be the one to figure out how to navigate this new place because Jinyoung can already find his way around). The PD and crew are already in one of the bigger practice rooms, cameras set up and ready, and Jinyoung quickly walks in.

“Good morning,” Jinyoung greets politely, and is about to ask what they’re doing for today when Yugyeom enters. Yugyeom greets everyone, which isn’t surprising, but he only gives Jinyoung a quick, somewhat terse nod before he’s out of the room. It puzzles Jinyoung, but then the PD is telling him what they will be filming today, and he doesn’t have time to ponder.

 

 

Jinyoung’s asked to sit in the middle of the room where there’s seven chairs set up. He picks the one in the middle, just to keep the frame balanced more than because he wants the attention. A while later, the cameras start rolling, and Yugyeom walks in, a smile on his face, much brighter than the one he had on earlier.

“Morning, Jinyoung!”

“Good morning, Yugyeom,” Jinyoung replies, then wonders if he sounds too stilted. He gives a smile to make up for it, and waits for Yugyeom to sit. “So, why did you ask me to come here today?” Jinyoung asks, trying to make his starting line sound natural even though it’s one the PD had asked him to say. While Wedded! is a variety show, there’s still some rough script (or at least guidelines) to follow, and there’s more of that today because of the guests they’re having. This, the scripted lines with chairs set up and all, is probably the opening for that, Jinyoung thinks, except he has to do it in a way that makes it seem natural. (Oh, how his acting skills are being utilized…)

“Ah yeah,” Yugyeom answers like they’re having a normal conversation instead of repeating lines they’ve been told, “I thought it’s a good idea for us to meet each other’s friends. You know, get to know each other better and all. And since I’m really close to my members, I thought it’ll be good if you can meet them. I just hope they don’t embarrass me and make me regret doing this…”

Yugyeom had gone a little off-script at the end, but Jinyoung doesn’t mind. It makes Yugyeom sound more like himself instead of whoever had written their lines. The PD doesn’t say anything about it either, which is good, because Jinyoung takes that to mean he can go off-script too, as long as it still gets the job of introducing their guests today done.

“Ahh, I see,” Jinyoung drags out. The next line in the script was to say something about HOT5, but it seems a bit awkward to do that now when he hasn’t been introduced to the members yet, so he looks around the familiar practice room, wondering how to continue the conversation. In a bid of nostalgia, Jinyoung finds himself absently mumbling the first thing that comes to his mind.

“I haven’t been in the JYP building for a while.”

That wasn’t what he meant to say at all, and Yugyeom looks at him with a slight tilt of his head, like he’s wondering what Jinyoung’s doing. Jinyoung’s wondering the same thing himself – he had expected his trainee history with JYP to come up today at some point – it’s inevitable with where they’re at, and who he’s going to meet later – but he hadn’t expected himself to be the one to let the information slip.

“Hmm, since your trainee days huh?” Yugyeom eventually replies lightly, like he isn’t sure if he should say it. Though, to be honest, given how they would be meeting HOT5 today, Jinyoung has already resigned himself to the fact that this bit of his history would be revealed (well, not by his own slip-up, but what’s done is done). His only question now is how much would be revealed in today’s filming.

From the corner of his eyes, Jinyoung see the PD frown slightly, like this is news for him. It probably is. Jinyoung doesn’t publicize the fact that he used to be a JYP trainee and very few people know about it, although he’s sure that if the production team had dug harder, they would have learnt the fact for themselves. Jinyoung’s saved from having to say anything though, because there’s suddenly a knock on the door.

“Gyeomie, we’re here!”

“Hey!” Yugyeom greets as he stands up to get the door, letting in four guys, three of whom look like they’re about as happy to be here as Jinyoung (which is not much), and one of them bouncing off the walls.

“Is this your new husband?” the energetic one says, and Jinyoung’s about to tell him – tell Bambam – to stop, but Yugyeom’s already holding his shoulders, pulling him back from his exaggerated movements.

“Yes,” Yugyeom answers, the same time Jinyoung says, “You say it like Yugyeom has had other husbands before me.”

He meant it as a lighthearted joke, but Bambam pouts, whining. “Hyung, you know what I mean!”

Bambam’s response is met with a light smack on his head from one of the quieter members – Mark, the one who had publicly announced that he’s gay, which had been a big piece of news a while back – and Jinyoung has to stifle his laughter at Bambam being kept in line.

“Bambam, don’t make Jinyoung-ssi feel uncomfortable. Why are you calling him hyung? Have some manners, even if he’s Yugyeom’s husband,” Mark chides without harshness, but Bambam just puffs out his lower lip.

“But I’m not making him uncomfortable,” Bambam answers, throwing a look in Jinyoung’s direction, making everyone turn his way.

With so many pairs of eyes suddenly on him – Yugyeom, the HOT5 members, the production team – Jinyoung suddenly feels pressured. Raising his hands in a defensive stance, he gets out, “I-I’m f

Please log in to read the full chapter