Ep. 1: The first meeting

Wedded!
Please log in to read the full chapter

Ep. 1: The first meeting

Jinyoung’s rubbing his hands together, trying to get some warmth in his frozen fingers. It doesn’t really work, so he hops a few times, regretting not bringing heat packs earlier. It’s been 15 minutes already. 15 minutes during which his pretend husband is supposed to turn up, but hasn’t. It wasn’t like he had been looking forward to the first filming day to begin with, but this really just made it worse. He swallows his sigh, aware of the crew filming him, and attempts a couple of jumping jacks to bring up his body temperature.

 

 

“Do I really have to do this?” Jinyoung splutters. It’s unrefined, but that’s just how shocked he is, having heard what job his manager has just accepted.

“Yes,” his manager says with a sigh. “I know it’s pretty ridiculous, but you’ve not been getting any jobs lately, not even small acting roles, and this is the only thing we have. Hell, you might even rise in popularity if things go well.”

“Rub it in my face, why don’t you,” Jinyoung mumbles. “Fine. I’ll do it. It’s only for 10 episodes right?”

Flipping through the contract, his manager says, “Well, the contract is for 10 episodes, but you can renew it if both of you agree to it.”

It’s such a ridiculous suggestion – even more ridiculous than the job itself – that Jinyoung snorts. “Like hell that’ll happen.”

 

 

It’s been 20 minutes, and nothing he’s done so far has managed to stave off the cold. Whoever his pretend husband is, Jinyoung will have to dig deep into his heart for patience to appear warm and welcoming for the cameras. Then again, his face has been chilled to the point where he can hardly move, so maybe it won’t show his annoyance anyway. He paces around some more, futile as it is, just for something to do. It’s probably on his twentieth round about the same bare tree that Jinyoung hears the crunch of boots on snow, and he halts. The PD has already explained to him earlier that he’s not supposed to just turn around and greet his pretend husband. This is a variety show after all, and they need to create suspense. So Jinyoung keeps his back turned to the new arrival, fidgeting slightly as he slides his hands out from his pockets so he won’t appear rude.

“Who do you think I am?”

The question is asked in an artificially high pitched voice and Jinyoung has to resist the urge to roll his eyes. The guy, his fake husband, whoever, has probably watched too much We Got Married (not that Jinyoung isn’t guilty of that himself, as an actor who has a lot of free time). Whatever. He can play along.

“I don’t know, you have a very… interesting voice. Are you perhaps… a singer?”

“Wow, how’d you guess?” This is said in a normal voice, like the speaker had forgotten that he had been using the high-pitched girly voice earlier because he’s genuinely surprised. Honestly, Jinyoung had just randomly guessed. He hadn’t expected to get it right on the first try. Rubbing his hands together again, he says, “Can I turn around now? I got the answer right.”

“Hmm,” his pretend husband says, “I wanted to play this game longer, but you look really cold. Turn around then, if you want to.”

Jinyoung numbly moves his feet, dragging out the moment until he sets eyes onto his pretend husband for the next 10 episodes. It’s not entirely intentional; he has a legitimate excuse of being cold to his bones. Either way, it seems to please the camera director, who gives a thumbs up and Jinyoung continues his movement, keeping his eyes on the ground until he’s fully facing the other guy. The first thing he notices is how shiny the guy’s boots are. The second is that it’s a brand that easily costs 800,000won (he’s not envious, of course not). Jinyoung takes a deep breath before he raises his head. When he finally sees the man in front of him, his heart nearly skips a beat.

“Kim Yugyeom-ssi?”

“Hi, nice to meet you, I’m Yugyeom. You don’t have to address me so formally, Jinyoung-ssi. We’re getting married, aren’t we?” Yugyeom’s smiling at him after the first bow, face entirely pleasant. Jinyoung reminds himself that the cameras are still rolling, that this is a show, and even if they don’t have strict scripts, he’s an actor. He can do this.

“Hi, nice to meet you too, I’m Jinyoung. I didn’t know who I’ll be getting for my husband, but… wow.”

There, he sounds appropriately surprised, instead of just rudely shocked. If only they knew how much acting Park Jinyoung can do, he thinks, slightly bitter that this is where he’s putting his acting skills to use.

“I didn’t know who they’ll pair me up with either,” Yugyeom laughs in response to his surprised exclamation. “It’s a pleasant surprise that I’ll be on this show with you!”

Jinyoung gives a small smile before saying, “Sorry to say this so suddenly, but I’m really really cold, can we move our conversation someplace warmer?”

“Ah yes, of course! Shall we find a café?”

 

 

Jinyoung’s sipping his warm latte when Yugyeom says, “Your hands look really cold. Do you want a heat pack?”

He’s already been holding his mug, waiting for the coffee’s heat to seep in, but 25 minutes in the outdoors waiting really took a toll on his hands. Jinyoung nods slightly. He expects Yugyeom to hand him a white rectang

Please log in to read the full chapter