9. Suffocating

the smile that ruined mine

'Let's not-' however before he managed to finish his sentence, he was interrupted by what I guessed was the door opening.

'Speaking of the devil here he is....'

 

I felt a sweep of cold wind enter the room - I couldn't tell whether it was from the atmosphere or from the weather, it was as if my blindness has blocked all my other senses.

I hated it. 

I hated this feeling. 

I hated everything....including whoever drove that car into me.

I heard a shuffle of feet. There was more than one person.

I shrugged my shoulders - my body felt tense. 

Who was this person? 

 

'I am deeply sorry.'

 

I turned my head in direction of the person - it was a female and she sounded slightly elderly. 

Instantly the chill in my heart disappeared. I mean....naturally you wouldn't be as upset if they were older right?

I was going to tell her how it was okay however the lady continued speaking: 

'I apologize on behalf of my son here.' 

And then my heart faltered.

 

Then I heard whispering between the lady and someone else. 

'I'll get something for you from the cafe downstairs,' Myungsoo said after a while. There was no sound for a few seconds except for shuffling feet and Myungsoo pulling the sliding door close. 

'I'm sorry,' the lady repeated. 'My son was driving the car, and I was the one mentoring him. The lights had just turned green and he was about to move the car when he saw you running arcross the street, however even if he didn't go ahead with full speed, his bumper made a huge impact.' 

I honestly didn't know what to feel. I wondered how the son looked like.

'I completely understand if as the victim would like to take this to court.'

 

I stopped shifting awkwardly, I wasn't sure what I was meant to do. 

'No it's okay-' 

Sudeenly I heard the doors open and in walked someone else - it definitely was not Myungsoo as the person's steps were heavy and seemed to carry the weight of the world. 

'Darling, you mustn't even ask. Poor people like them need our help.'

 

Instantly the atmosphere went from chilly to freezing cold.

'Poor People'.

I shivered slightly as the man's voice repeated itself in my head.

I felt as if there were a million insects crawling all over my body. 

My jaw clenched and so did my hands. If I can't hit him then I may as well at least show him that what he said was offensive. 

 

Obviously he didn't seem to care as he started rambling about all these support groups and medical costs that he would cover. 

'Anything to make you feel better.' 

He said that with such a negative tone I nearly vomited on the very spot. 

My stomach churned. 

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. 

 

Suddenly the door opened again and in walked Myungsoo whose voice echoed sharply in the room as he said: 'No thank you.'

I inwardly chuckle at the rare moment at my best friend's sohw of courage and resistance. He wasn't normally like that.

'I'll-'

I raised my hand in the air....stupid I know as I didn't even know where he stood exactly.

'Could you....' my voice faltered again as my mind considered then reconsidered what the man had said. 'Could you let me think about it?'

I heard an frustrated groan from Myungspoo who hated this suggestion, but I guesss he still respected my decision.

 

There was a moment of silence, however the man agreed.

'Contact me when you made up your mind.'

I heard a soft thud of paper that landed near my hand and suspected that he let his business card drop wherever. The red alarms loudly in head however my condition was not suitable at this moment to be pulling out hair, tearing jackets and scareming my head off. 

My body was tired.

My mind was tired.

I didn't want to deal with any more drama.

There was already enough. 

 

I muttered a thank you as I literally blindedly touched around for the card. I heard the couple walk out the door, mutterring in low voices.

I grasped the card tightly in my hand, tempted to scrunch it however maybe they weren't bluffing about their wealth. The card weighed a few grams - as if it was made of gold.

 

I was about to head to sleep when I heard another pair of footsteps.

Right, I forgot that the young driver who nearly got me killed, hadn't left yet. 

'I'm...' he stopped as I guess that he wasn't the type to apologize - his voice was stiff and uncomfortable. 

'I'm really sorry for the mess.....buddy.' 

 

Then it hit me. 

It was him.

That guy. 

That stupid guy.

That wretched partner. 

That despicable human being. 

 

I threw the blankets over my head though that was a stupid thing to do. Everywhere I walked to would be as dark as night. 

'Hey...you okay?'

I nearly snorted at the sound of my best friend's voice.

How could I be? I wanted to say. 

 

'I'm tired,' I say quietly. I uncovered the blanket around my head as I found it difficult to breath. 

'Oh...' He clearly was expecting that. 

'Well I'll see you tomorrow then.'

'How about the day after.....' *Or maybe not at all* 'I need rest after all this.'

I heard him shuffle his feet, unsure how to respond. 'Okay...but please call me at some point okay? Rest well.' 

He patted me on the head gently before quietly exiting. 

 

I start sniffing. 

A tear.

Then another.

Guess I was suffocating with or without those blankets. 

I was suffocating this whole time.

Not allowing myself to breath. 

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTES: 

4 months. 

Well I guess no matter how well-planned I try to be, I am more impulsive than anything else. But in my defense, life has been throwing alot at me. I 'm all bruised. #LOLZ

Well I now that the plot seems to be taking a completely new turn, and I do agree that it it seems quite dramatic but....yeah actually I am not 100% sure too. :)

Till next time as usual....and oh goodness me, I nearly forgot: THANK YOU to all my readers, subscribers, commentators and others! Without your support it would hard for me to continue the way that I have :)

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!