Chapter oo1: Reunited

My Best Friend's Brother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“PARK. JI. HYUN. GET YOUR OFF YOUR BED RIGHT NOW!” a booming voice could be heard from right outside a certain room door.

“Good morning, Kookie.” a middle aged woman yawned at the young man in her hallway, coffee mug in one hand.

Jungkook smiled. “Good morning, auntie.” and turned back to the door he was standing in front of. “I swear auntie Jaehyun, your daughter is such a handful every single day.” Jaehyun smiled. “And I’m very thankful you’re still by her side despite everything.” he smiled at her sentimentality. “Of course auntie. Jihyun’s my best friend.” He then pulled something something from his pocket. A key. It was a duplicate key to Jihyun’s room that was given to him by Jihyun’s mother.

To the public, an act of a mother giving a younger man, especially a male best best friend of a daughter, is like technically marrying one’s daughter off to said best friend

In Jungkook’s case, however, Jaehyun didn’t see this as an act of marrying them off together.

She watched Jungkook turn the knob and pull the door with enough force that she felt a weak breeze towards her direction, and said boy entered the room followed by the slamming of a door.

Park Jaehyun smiled. Such intimacy between her daughter and the neighbor’s son was more like…

“Park Jihyun, you slob! Wake the hell up within the next five minutes or I’m leaving you behind! It might be your birthday, but I’m not treating you special!”

Jaehyun chuckled.

...brother and sister.

They’ve been together since they were two, and right now, they’re both fifteen.

“I’m up…and thanks...” Jaehyun heard a sleepy voice mutter, and with that, she let out another yawn and headed back to the dining room to drink the rest of her coffee.

She could hear weak padding on the ceiling, as well as groaning, all from her daughter. That made Jaehyun chuckle. She was so thankful for the young boy who’s taken into account helping her take care of her daughter for the past thirteen years.

Twenty minutes later, Jaehyun heard footsteps heading down and towards her. A young woman, eyes still closed as if she was sleepwalking, and right behind her, an already exhausted Jungkook.

A yawn. “Good morning eomma.” she smiled. “Good morning honey, and happy birthday.” Jihyun smiled and kissed her mother on the cheek before taking a seat. Jaehyun then turned to Jungkook, who was taking his seat right beside Jihyun.“Thanks for helping out every morning Kookie.” he turned to her and smiled. “It’s my pleasure, auntie Jaehyun.”

There was a weak clinking of chains that without a doubt caught Jaehyun’s attention every time the young man was right in front of her. She should have been used to it, but still, it would draw her attention towards the boy’s chest and she is met with a ring chained to a necklace that Jungkook had been wearing after Jihyun’s older brother had given his ring to the very young Jungkook so many years ago.

“Has appa called yet?” Jihyun says in between her chewing, and this made Jungkook frown. “You’re so gross.” he made a disgusted face. “Chew first, then talk.” the former rolled her eyes and quickly chewed and drank some of the juice that was prepared for her.

Jaehyun smiled. “Honey, your dad’s still at work, so he hasn’t had the time to call yet.” her daughter blinked. “What about oppa?” she shook her head. “He sent me a message a yesterday  about something come up, so he wouldn’t be able to call as well.”

Her daughter’s mood shifted for the worse, and it was amusing watching Jihyun’s mood go down. Despite the huge distance between her brother and her, she still had this deep connection to her brother despite the fact that they have been unable to see each other physically for the past thirteen years, and yet, their bond was as close as ever that their relationship could be viewed more as a brother and sister complex.

She remembered the first time her son had called them one time to inform them that he had a girlfriend. Jihyun’s reaction had been so negative she refused to talk to her brother until he broke up with her a week later.

“He hasn’t been calling for the past few weeks…and it’s my birthday today, what are they even doing? Did they forget about me?” she sulked and Jungkook watched his friend’s mood dissipate into the air. He’s been wondering though. He’s known the Park family for over thirteen years, and for some reason, he’s never even seen what Jihyun’s brother looked like. Heck, there wasn’t a picture of him or Jihyun’s father anywhere in the house....well, there probably were photos, but it would most probably be in Jihyun’s mother’s room.

He sighed. “Well, don’t get stumped Jihyun ah.” Jungkook started, patting her on the head. “We still have classes to go to and we don’t want to be late.” there was a pause, and she finally nodded and went back to consuming her food.

Jungkook looked right across him, and Jaehyun smiled and mouthed a ‘Thank you.’ to him, in which he answered with a nod.

With breakfast over and done with, Jihyun headed to bathroom to brush her teeth, and soon, both teenagers were off.

“See you later eomma!”
“See you later aunt Jaehyun!”

They called out as they passed by the dining room, the the elder gave a wave as she was drinking from her mug when they bade goodbye.

“Jihyun, stop sulking.” Jungkook sighed. “It’s ugly.”

His childhood friend made face. “Don’t call me ugly, ugly!” she stuck her tongue out, puffed her cheeks out and turned away from Jungkook. The boy shrugged and muttered a “Whatever. You won’t be able to do anything without my anyway, idiot.”

She turned to him and glared. “What did you just call me?” he sighed. “I didn’t call you anything. I just said happy birthday.” Jihyun huffed. “That’s what I thought.”

Then the two resumed their walk to school, bickering throughout the whole trip.

However, upon entering school grounds, one would be surprised at the huge change.

“OH. MY. GOD! Jihyun ssi!” someone called out from the crowd that formed when they came in. “Happy Birthday!” Jihyun turned to the direction of the voice. “Thank you.” she added a smile.

“Jungkook oppa! Good luck with the game this week!” a girl called out from behind them, in which he replied. “Thanks.”

Park Jihyun and Jeon Jungkook, despite their childish bickering just a few minutes ago, turned into two different people once they reached school. Jihyun was well-known in school as the smartest girl, as well as being part of Miss Busan and winning it since she was ten. Whilst contrasting to her is her childhood friend, who in turn has been Mister Busan for the past six years, and so he’s the school’s most good looking male student. He also happened to be the captain of the school’s Basketball and Archery teams despite just being a sophomore. One more thing that was in their list of perfection was how both of them were part of the Student Council as its Vice President and Secretary respectively, and finally, both were also probably the smartest of the school.

A bouquet was suddenly shoved in front of Jungkook, causing his and Jihyun’s steps to halt.

Two girls, who were probably third years, Jungkook noted, were smiling up at him as they offered the bouquet. “Congratulations on winning Gold for the archery competition yesterday Jungkook!” he smiled and took the bouquet from them. “Why, thank you for this.”

They squealed and ran back within the crowd, and Jungkook could feel Jihyun’s teasing grin right behind him, but it was hidden underneath her school facade, ultimately just making him sigh. He then cleared his throat. “Alright everyone, unless you want to sign papers for tardiness in class, I suggest that each and everyone return to their respective rooms before the bell goes off.”

Despite being the heartthrob of the school, everyone in school didn’t forg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter