Prologue

My Best Friend's Brother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two small figures, a young boy and girl, could be seen playing in the sandbox of a park late in the afternoon as three figures watched them from a distance.

 

“Mom, what was the point of letting Jihyun meet the neighbor’s son when we’re leaving for England tomorrow?” his mother, who was sitting on his right, smiled, while the the other woman, who was sitting to his left, gasped. “You’re leaving for England Jaehyun ah?” he looked up between his mother and their neighbor. What he didn’t understand though was that his mother’s reply to the question was a chuckle and a shake of her head. “Oh no, it’s just my husband and my son.” she said, which her son blinked to. “My husband’s business wanted him to move to England, and he asked me if I wanted to come, I decided not to since I wanted to stay here as we just moved here to Busan.” she looked up at her daughter and her new playmate at the sandbox. “And Jihyun just made a friend, I wouldn’t really want them to part now.” the other lady smiled. “I wouldn’t want Jungkookie to be sad either when he just met a good friend.”

 

Jihyun’s mother nodded. “Yeah, and so we decided for him to take our son instead because,” she started chuckling. “Well, my husband gets lonely easy, and he loves doting on our kids, so we decided to let our son go with him to England.”

 

“What?” was her son’s reply to the explanation to the sudden trip to England. His mom laughed. “Oh, you’ll love it honey.” she said as she his head. “Your father and I went there for our honeymoon you know, and it’s a lovely place, but I just want to stay here in Korea.”

 

“But…”

 

“No buts dear,” his mother smiled, placing a finger on his lips to make him close his mouth. “You’re going with your father tomorrow, and that’s final.” He couldn’t help but simply sigh. “Fine.” his mother smiled at his reply and his hair. “You’ll really love it, honey.”

 

He looked up at his mother and held her hands with his smaller ones. “You have to make sure to take care of Jihyun and yourself, okay, eomma?” he starts, surprising his mother. “Appa and I won’t be here to protect you guys.” his mother, being young at heart squealed and cuddled her son. “Of course, my love!” a kiss on his hair.

 

“We’ll make sure that Jungkookie will play with Jihyun all the time, so don’t worry about your younger sister.” the neighbor said with a smile.

 

“OPPPPAAAA!” all three heads turned towards the sandbox to see the little waving. “I’m going to Jihyunnie and Jungkook.” with that, the young boy left to join his younger sister and her new friend.

 

The two mothers were left as they watched the young boy run to the two younger figures.

 

“He’s cute.” Jungkook’s mother mutters, making Jihyun’s mother laugh. “I know right Yaerin ah. I’m so glad he took after me.”

 

Jeon Yaerin laughed at that. “But of course, Jaehyun ah.” she turned to her friend, then back at the kids. “At first, just by looking at their face, they look like twins.” Park Jaehyun nodded. “I hope he’ll do well in England though.” she started, all of a sudden worrying about her and her husband’s decision. “My little prince is rather delicate, I wonder how he’s going to grow up without a woman’s touch as he grows up.”

 

Yaerin paused. “How long are they going to stay in England, if I may ask?” Jaehyun shrugged. “My husband is rather doting and clingy,” she laughed at the thought of her husband a few days ago. “He even rejected the proposal to move to England in his company at first. But it was such a huge opportunity that I said I’d divorce him if he threw such a chance away.”

 

“Oh my!” Yaerin laughed at that. Her new neighbor and her husband were a rather cute couple.

 

“And so I trust him to take care of my baby without me there.” the latter continued with a smile, her eyes falling on her son’s figure. “Jihyun is rather clingy with her brother, and so I want her to learn to fend for herself. And so, my husband and I came to a conclusion of them staying there for around...ten to thirteen years?”

 

That made Yaerin stare. “Thirteen years?!” she exclaimed, a hand coming up to cover . “Isn’t that a rather long time?” Jaehyun smiled and looked up at the sky. “Hwangmin and I are childhood sweethearts. I know how much he loves me, and he knows how much I love him.” a pause. “We’ve been together for so long that we came up with this idea of sort of...experiencing a long distance relationship.” Jaehyun chuckled. “Hwangmin was close to tears when I came up with this idea, but we talked about it. Our love is strong, and we know we’ll still love each other at the end of the thirteen years that-”

 

Jaehyun was surprised when her hands were engulfed in a warm heat. She looked down at her hands, which were clasped in between Yaerin’s hands. “I’ll make sure to help you and little Jihyun with your years apart as a family.” the former blinked, clearly surprised, but then she smiled. “Thank you very much Yaerin ah!”

 

They both looked at the children again. “And I’m sure Kookie will always be by Jihyun’s side...like a brother, since well...her real brother wouldn’t really be beside her.” Jaehyun chuckled. “I’m sure Jihyun would like that.”

 

Yaerin and Jaehyun let go of each other’s hands and stayed like that for a few more hours, until it was time to go home, as Jaehyun’s son and her husband still had to prepare some more for tomorrow’s flight.

 

“My family and I would like to go with you when you drop your husband and son off at the airport tomorrow, if that’s okay with you?” Yaerin calls out before both families entered their respective houses. Jaehyun smiled. “I would love that very much!” she looked at Jihyun, who was waving her chubby hand at the boy on the opposite side, who in turn was doing the same thing. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter