Chapter 08

The Life of a Priestess

Contrary to his promise to let her only have one day of rest after her fight with Yoona, he ended up letting her rest for over a week before he eased her back into training. Something which Hobi and Jimin took great delight in teasing him about. They started with training in the afternoons until she was back to her full strength. They spent countless hours practicing all of her different abilities. Yoongi continued to train her on how to move and manipulate objects with her powers, he had also begun teaching her how to open portals. So far she could only get as far as the opposite end of the garden, but Yoongi assured her that she was doing well.

 

Hobi and Jimin continued to teach her how to physically manifest her powers. She was now able to create and maintain a weapon and her shield for an extended period of time, with much less effort than before. She could also manipulate her energy to take on almost any shape she imagined. Her energy ropes were still her strongest ability, to the point where Jimin and Hobi often struggled to escape, despite their centuries of training.

 

 

 

 

Yoongi and Yubin sat in the garden after one of their training sessions, sweat soaking both their bodies as they let the sun beat down on them. “I don’t know why you won't just take me.” She said with a pout. Yoongi exhaled loudly, “For the millionth time, the demon world is dangerous.” He said, not bothering to open his eyes. This was an argument that had had countless times since he had told her about the demon world. “Not all demons are as nice as I am.” He said making her snort. “Who said you were nice?” she teased before dodging a small ball of Yoongi’s energy that he flicked in her direction.

 

“My answer is no and that’s final.” He said firmly. She crossed her arms over her chest with a pout. “Spoil sport.” Yoongi cracked open one eye to look at her, resisting the urge to flick another ball of energy at her. She stood up and stretched. “Well, I’m going to go shower. Will you be back for dinner?” she asked. He nodded. “I only have to visit the medicine shop in the demon world. They have some ingredients that aren’t easy to find here.” She nodded. “Ok, I’ll see you later then.” She said as she made her way back into the shrine.

 

Yoongi watched her go, knowing that although their argument had ended for today, this wouldn’t be the last time he had to tell her just how dangerous the demon world was. He sighed as he made his way into the shrine to get ready for his trip to the demon world. Once he had showered and changed, he made his way out to the garden to open the portal to the demon world. He hadn’t seen Yubin since their training. He figured she was still sulking that he had refused to take her along. He sighed loudly and opened the portal, stepping through into the demon world.

 

He looked around the familiar market, no one batting an eyelid at his sudden appearance. “Oh my god!” he spun around at the familiar voice, Yubin standing right behind him, her head whipping left and right as she tried to take everything in. “What do you think you’re doing?!” he barked, startling her. She looked at him, a guilty look on her face. “Surprise?” she said with a weak chuckle, the furious expression on Yoongi’s face sending a shiver of fear down her spine.

 

He grabbed her wrist and pulled her down a quiet alley, roughly pushing her against the wall. “I told you it was dangerous here! Why did you follow me through the portal?” he asked harshly as he stood almost too close to her. “It can’t be that dangerous, you come here all the time!” she protested. Yoongi ran his hand through his hair in frustration. “I’m a demon! Of course I come here all the time! You’re a human! Do you know that if you spend too long here you’ll die?”

 

Yubin’s jaw dropped. “W-what?” she stuttered. “That’s right. You may have high spiritual energy but your body cannot handle the atmosphere here. Its poisonous to humans, but it doesn’t affect demons. What if we got separated and you couldn’t get back to the human world? You still can’t make a portal strong enough to take you back. And most of the demons here would kill you before they even considered helping you.” Yubin hung her head in shame. “I’m sorry.”

 

Yoongi exhaled loudly, “I’ll yell at you more later, let’s go.” He grabbed her wrist and started to head out of the alleyway when two large, scaly demons blocked their paths. “I told you I could smell a human.” The larger of the two said to his companion. Yoongi’s grip tightened around her wrist. “This human is mine.” He said, his voice low and dangerous. Yubin figured it was better for her to stay silent, choosing to stay quiet behind Yoongi.

 

The larger scaled demon laughed at Yoongi’s words, “I don’t think there's much you could do if we decided to take her from you.” He said with a leer. Yoongi snorted, white flames burned at the tips of his fingers. “I don’t think you want to mess with me, I’m in a foul mood right now.” He said as he lifted his hand, the flames engulfing his entire hand. The two demons took a step back from the intensity of Yoongi’s glare and the heat from the flames around his hand. “Get lost.” Yoongi growled. The two demons backed out of the alley and disappeared. The flames around Yoongi’s hand disappeared as he turned back around to face Yubin. “Now do you understand why I didn’t want to bring you here?” she nodded, her eyes still wide from fear. Yoongi prayed that it wasn’t him she was afraid of.

 

“Causing trouble again?”

 

Yoongi and Yubin turned around to see an elderly demon, his long white beard almost long enough to be tucked into his belt standing by the doorway behind them. “You know me better than that. Just putting a couple of lower class demons in their place.” Yoongi said coolly. The elderly demon laughed, “I see you brought your priestess with you.” He said, nodding his head in Yubin's direction. “I didn’t bring her. She hitched a ride.” He said giving her a pointed look, while she found the dirt underneath her feet incredibly interesting. The elderly demon laughed again, “I like her already. Why don’t you two come in?” Yoongi sighed. Part of him really just wanted to get Yubin back to the shrine, but he knew that she would be safe by his side.

 

“Come on.” He said as he pulled on her wrist, forcing him to follow him. “Stay beside me.” He said as he pulled her into the shop. They were immediately hit with the smell of all the herbs and medicines that lined the walls and covered every surface of the small shop. Yubin coughed a couple of times, the strong smell catching in . “Ah, the smell must be quite strong if you're not used to it. Apologies my dear, I can barely notice it anymore as I've been working here for so long.” He said giving her a warm smile.

 

She smiled back at him. “It’s ok, it just caught me a little by surprise, that’s all.” The elderly demon smiled back at her before turning back to Yoongi. “I have everything you asked for. Some of it is in the back. I can go get it ready for you.” He said as he shuffled off towards the back of the shop. Yoongi glanced back at Yubin, “I’ll be right back, ok? Don’t move.” He warned. She nodded. Yoongi gave her one last glance before disappearing to the back of the shop.

 

She looked along the shelves, which were packed with jars of flowers, herbs, and several things she did not wish to identify. She moved to the front window, watching the demons all walking around like humans did back home. Some of them had human forms, or almost human forms like Yoongi’s. Some of them looked like characters pulled straight out animes. She saw a small child running full pelt down the road, skidding around the corner, down the alleyway where Yoongi and her had been only moments ago. She heard him crying as he ran past, two grey demons following after him.

 

“.” She mumbled as she completely forgot about Yoongi’s words and tore out of the shop and sprinted down the alley. She stopped when she saw the child, he was crying in the corner of the alleyway after having run into a dead end. The two grey, stone like demons closed in on him. She felt her powers well up from within her. She opened a portal and stepped through, ending up in front of the child who let out a cry of shock as she appeared in front of him. The two stone demons stopped their advance as she used her powers to form a sword. She held it out in front of her body, hoping that she didn’t look as nervous as she felt. “Well, well, looks like those two were telling the truth! There's really is a human here!” one of the demons said with a laugh.

 

“Her spiritual energy is no joke either.” The other said. “If we were to eat her heart, how much power would we gain?” the first one said as he his lips. Yubin had to stop the bile from rising in at the thought. She had no idea if what they said was true or not, but she had no intention of finding out. She gripped onto her sword tighter, wishing that she had shouted for Yoongi before rushing out of the shop. If these demons didn’t kill her, Yoongi definitely would. She turned around to comfort the child behind her but he was gone. “What the hell?” she turned back around and saw the child standing with the two stone demons, a big grin on his face. “We tricked her well, didn’t we?” he said with a snicker in her direction. She cursed loudly, finally realising that she had been deceived.

 

“Look, I’m not looking for a fight but I will fight you if you make me. I think it would be best for you if you just back off now.” She said, hoping that she sounded threatening, but judging from the loud laughs echoing back at her, she didn’t do as well as she had hoped. “This is going to be so much fun.” The demons stepped closer to her and without hesitating, she threw a ball of energy at the tiny demon that had impersonated a child, sending him flying behind his friends.

 

She took the opportunity given to her by their shock at her actions to throw up her shield, sending her ropes out to pin the larger of the two demons in place. He howled as the ropes pulled him to his knees, his companion growled loudly before launching himself at her. She swung her sword at him, the energy not seeming to have an effect on his hard skin. She swore loudly as her back hit the wall behind her. She was used to fighting in the freedom of the garden, not the cramped space of an alleyway.

 

The demon crossed his arm, mimicking her sword position as he pressed his arm against her sword, pushing her back against the wall. “Your energy won't work against me.” He said with a grin.

 

“How about my energy?” Yubin’s face lit up as Yoongi appeared behind the demon, his hand once again engulfed in white flame. He rested his hand against the demon’s shoulder and he let out an ear-piercing scream. The demon stepped back away from the pair as Yoongi moved to stand in front of Yubin, his ears pinned back, his expression furious. “You have five seconds to get out of my sight or I will burn you alive.” Yoongi warned. Yubin quickly dropped the ropes around the demon she had been holding onto as the flames on Yoongi’s hand increased in size. The three demons cursed loudly before running out of the alleyway, knowing that even with the three of them, there was no way they stood a chance against Yoongi and his rage.

 

Yoongi turned to her, the flames still on his hand. Yubin felt true fear flood through her as Yoongi approached her. She screamed as Yoongi raised his fire engulfed hand. His fist slammed into the stone wall behind her, the stone cracking under his touch. Yubin slowly opened her eyes, her hands shaking as she looked into Yoongi’s eyes. His usually warm eyes were cold with fury. “I told you to stay beside me.” He said, his voice dangerously low. “I’m sorry.” She mumbled. Yoongi's fist slammed into the wall again, little shards of stone raining down from the fist sized hole in the wall beside her head. “Don’t you dare apologise again! How hard is it for you to listen to me?” he roared. She flinched away from him, for the first time since she met Yoongi, she felt afraid of him.

 

He sighed loudly as he reached out for her wrist but she flinched away from him. Her gaze remaining stuck to the ground. Yoongi felt an uncomfortable feeling blossom in his chest as he took in her appearance. When the demon had her pinned to the wall, she looked determined, she hadn’t looked afraid but now… because of him… his gaze softened slightly. “Yubin…”

 

“I’m sorry. Let’s go back to the shrine. I promise I’ll never do anything like this again. I’m sorry.” She said so quickly he almost couldn’t make out the individual words. He frowned, “Yubin…” he reached out for her again but she took a step away from him, her hands shaking with fear. His hand dropped to his side as he looked at the young girl in front of him. He sighed and opened a portal. “Let’s go.” She quickly stepped through the portal without looking at him. Yoongi sighed before following her through.

 

When he emerged on the other side, she had already entered the shrine. Hobi and Jimin appeared by his side. “Did something happen?” Hobi asked worriedly. “Yubin looked really upset.” Jimin added. Yoongi didn’t answer, he looked up at the shrine and let out a heavy sigh before brushing past the two spirits and heading towards his room.