The Last Member

The Spider's Thread

I could feel the hostility even from across the room. Raising my eyes, I defiantly met the eyes boring into me.

“Daehyun, stop looking like you want to shoot her.” Youngjae chided. He reached over and gently knocked on the top of the guy’s head. Daehyun merely scowled and looked away. Youngjae shook his head in mock despair.

“Maybe he’s just shy,” Junhong piped up but recoiled slightly at the murderous look that Daehyun gave him.

It has been a week since Daehyun caught me sneaking about (and passing out) in their various lounges. I had been confined to my bed by the orders of the “doctor” Youngjae until he deemed me fit enough to move. Today was the day I was supposed to meet the other three members that I hadn’t officially met.

Of course, I ran into Daehyun once, but he seemed to hate me from sight. Even during my week of confinement, he refused to talk to me when he was told to bring food to my bed and would leave immediately. My eyes slid over to him and sure enough, he was watching me with hostile eyes. I wondered what I had done to make him so mad at me. Was it because I had heard his conversation over the phone?

My train of thoughts was interrupted when there was a knock on the door and Moon Jongup walked in. My heart hitched in my throat and I subconsciously inched back on my seat. His eyes fell on me and he smirked, his lips curling upwards.

“Where’s the rest?” Jongup questioned as he took a seat next to a sulking Daehyun.

Youngjae shrugged. “Yongguk said that he would be late. Himchan should be here by now, though.”

As if on cue, a tall, well-build man dressed in a black suit entered the room. He pulled off his sunglasses and glanced at his expensive silver watch. “Am I late?”

“Yes.” Three voices simultaneously replied, with the exception of Daehyun, who was still scowling. Himchan looked like he was about to retort when he noticed me sitting on the other side of the room. He raised one eyebrow at me and smiled.

“Who’s this pretty lady?” He made his way across the room and took a seat next to me, casually throwing his arm around my shoulders. “Hello there. My name’s Kim Him Chan.” He winked at me, a cheeky smile on his handsome face.

Youngjae rolled his eyes while Junhong stifled a laugh. I nodded politely at Himchan, sharply aware of his arm around my shoulders, and glanced around the room for some help. My eyes fell on Jongup and I did a double-take. He was sitting back, seeming relaxed, but his smoldering eyes were fixed on Himchan. I could sense the rage flickering behind his composed mask. The rest of the room seemed oblivious to it, though, as they laughed and chatted. Jongup’s eyes slowly met mine, dark and angry.

Take your hand off her. She’s mine.

Is he… jealous?

Before I could think more about it, footsteps sounded outside the door. Himchan sat up next to me, keeping his arm around me. “There’s the last member of the gang.”

“Sorry that I’m late. Have you guys started yet?” I only broke my gaze from Jongup when the last member spoke and glanced at him.

My heart seemed to stop. My eyes widened and I almost shot up in my seat but held myself back. I could feel my breath quickening; my chest tightened. It can’t be. It can’t be him. He’s dead. I saw his body, I-

But they look so alike. From the shape of the eyes, the thick lips. The messy tuft of hair. Even the twinkle in the eye when he smiled.

The man looked at me. “You must be the lady Jongup mentioned. It’s nice to meet you.” He held out a hand to me. “My name is Bang Yongguk.”

Bang Yongguk? Bang?

It can’t be. He never said anything about a brother, or not one that looked so similar to him. My eyes dart to Jongup and my chest seemed to tighten even more. Jongup was smiling. The fury had evaporated, and he was smiling in a satisfied manner. 

Jongup. He knew.

They look alike, don’t they?

My heart was thudding so painfully that I think the entire room can hear it.

They were twins, after all. But then again, he never told you about his brother, did he?