Our Reason

Can You Return My Heart?

Chapter One: 

Our Reason

With all the stress and pressure that was given to him by his boss, Myungsoo miraculously still looks like an angel in his state right now as he scans through his newest mission. It excites him as his latest assignment involves secret negotations with the drug dealers in their area and who knows that it might involve gun fights.

"Hmm, quite interesting." He muttered to himself while flipping through the pages and a pen dangling in his hand.

Myungsoo got up from his seat as soon as he finished reading the note of his boss for him. He quickly went out of his room, making a bee line to Sunggyu's office.

After the talk he had with Sunggyu, he immediately went out of their station to walk to the bus stop. He didn't forget to change his clothes as he exited the building. His mission starts now and he doesn't want to lose in this game. A change of clothes means more normal to observe an area than in his uniform.

He walks to the bus stop, his eyes never stops looking around. He passed through numerous dark alleys in hope of seeing an ongoing black business but he didn't find any so he went straight to his house after.

As he enters his house, a memory suddenly hit him and stabbed him right in his heart. He misses how his heart do somersaults everytime his boyfriend envelopes him in a tight embrace when he comes home. Now, only dark and silence welcomes his tired soul.

That night, he cries to sleep while saying sorry to Sungyeol.

---
"Good morning hyung! Got a nice sleep?" Sungyeol's little brother, Sungjong, shouted at him as he come out of his room. He gave the younger a nod and quickly went to the couch to resume his sleep but Sungjong doesn't give him peace when the other jumped on him.

"I knew you would do this again, hyung. Yaaahh, Yeollie hyung. Get up right now or else, I will try to call Myungsoo hyung." Sungjong threatens him but it did not faze him. Threatening him with that name won't crack the walls he built after their break-up. It was the most heartbreaking break-up for Sungyeol and until now, he regrets meeting Myungsoo in this lifetime.

Without saying a word, he got up and followed Sungjong in their kitchen. His world stopped as he see his younger brother lying on the cold floor while trying to catch his breath and holding his chest tightly.

"!" He cursed and kneels beside his brother. Panic started to grow in him as the lid of the bottle where Sungjong's medicines are won't open. He tries it again and again and succeeded at the third time. He let his brother swallow the tiny tablet and carries the other to place in the couch.

When Sungjong's state became normal again, Sungyeol went to fetch a glass of water and make Sungjong drink it. The moment his brother gave him back the glass, he hugged him so tight and a tear escaped in his eye.

"Stupid! Have you been taking all your medicines?" Sungyeol asked as he pats his brother's back gently.

"I want you to stop working, hyung. I hate how bad your job is." Sungjong spat without even noticing the faint sadness that crossed Sungyeol's eyes that time. Yes, he knew that his job is bad but what else can he do when his brother's life is on the line. He will do anything to the only family member he has and in order to do that, emotions must be thrown away. 

Sungyeol once loved. He is a spy and a killer who is in a relationship with a policeman but it didn't turn out good when the other discovered his job. His lover threw him aside and Sungyeol thought it maybe because he would taint the police's reputation. He went away and after a month, he send a letter to Myungsoo. Confessing his love for the nth time and asking for forgiveness. He didn't see the man he loved for almost two years already.

It was all a false accusation! He didn't kill anyone! Why did he become the killer in the eyes of others when he did nothing...

He suffered a lot in his job. Going home with multiple bruises covering his pale skin and cuts in his face. He learned how to control his emotions and how to be numb and be rational always. It became an instinct to him. He became a different person.

He felt the weight of his brother and saw that it fell asleep in his embrace. It must be hard not just on him but as well as to his precious brother whom he treasured so much. He carried Sungjong all the way to their bedroom and lay down the younger comfortably in the matress. After covering Sungjong with the thick blanket, he turned to the door and paid no glance to the now crying boy in the bed.

As soon as Sungyeol went out of the room, his phone rang. He sighed, it's been a long time since someone called him. His shock doubled as it registers a familiar name on the screen.

Kim Myungsoo calling...

His heartbeats became faster and he had to press his hands above his chest. Why would Kim Myungsoo call him? 

Why does he still have my number?

Psh, dream on Sungyeol. Why haven't I changed my number...

Thoughts after thoughts and Sungyeol is drowning in the idea of talking to Myungsoo again.

He didn't waste another second and tapped the answer button.

"Hello?" Myungsoo started off. Feeling as awkward as the other on the line, Sungyeol fidgeted and he can seriously dance now as he hears Myungsoo's voice. His Myungsoo is fine and safe and Sungyeol kept on wondering what he's doing these past two years. He wants to ask questions to Myungsoo. To ask him how he is living right no--

"Uhm, hello Sungyeol? Are you there?" His thoughts exploded and his walls crumbled in a single 'hello' from Myungsoo. He hates it.

"Yes, I am here. Why did you call me Myungsoo?" He finally asnwered the other and thankfully, he didn't stutter.

"I need you... Sungyeol." Three words and his name. He wants to escape his hell life already and run to Myungsoo.

"I want you to work with me for my newest assignment, Sungyeol. Please be a spy for me." That's it. His tears fell and his legs seems to have no strength as he crouch in his place like a kid.

Sungyeol is so hurt.
Indeed, Myungsoo will not love him again.
Because he is a killer...

Even though he isn't but in the eyes of others, he is a monster.