Chapter 1

Baby steps

"Photogenic since the womb, I see. My God, you would even dare pose with a face smeared with ice cream? No, no, no, go back!" HyunSeung had burst in laugh, reaching his hand out to turn the page of the photo book reversely, but Hyuna had anticipated his childishness, immediately closing it in a loud smack.

 

"You're really a plague, do you know that?" The young girl had pushed him away, feeling more upset than it probably made sense to be, but the past week had been too frustrating between them for her to pretend that she had already forgotten everything. Your regular couple fight, but adding to it the more than substantial fact that the two protagonists of these fights were named Jang HyunSeung and Kim Hyuna, two of the most stubborn human beings on earth.

 

"Anyways, I have to go back home to get ready for my flight tomorrow." Hyuna had put her photo book in her bag, meeting her lover's dark eyes when she had turned around.

 

 

"What?"

 

"I'm just messing around." He had quietly reasoned, his classic confused expression whenever Hyuna would react in an incomprehensible way to him, plastered on his baby face. Peering at him silently, Hyuna had tried to understand his point for a few instants, before she had spoken up, far to exceeded to be willing to be compassionate.

 

 

"Don't you dare to try the puppy eyes trick while-"

 

"Last year we spent Chuseok on Jeju Island. The best three days of my life. This year, we're fighting an entire week after the reason why started to." HyunSeung had interrupted her, cracking his neck nonchalantly, a sign of tension or frustration she knew well.

 

"And?"

 

Should she really have stated the obvious?

One shouldn't cancel his plans with his girlfriend at the last minute.

One shouldn't get mad at his girlfriend while they are in the wrong.

One shouldn't think everything becomes ok with an "I'm sorry." Let alone when your girlfriend is called Kim Hyuna.

 

That being said, the truth was, HyunSeung being passive always had something alarming to Hyuna. While she hated for him to front his mistakes, what could him not doing so possibly mean, else than him feeling like he had no obligations to explain himself? And in this case, it could only mean that he considered her just like some of the many people who sleeked validation towards the young man. But she wasn't. She wasn't "some of the many people". She was his girlfriend. He had to care for proving her wrong, for reassuring her that he meant his apologies, his explanations, his words. So if he didn't, couldn't it only mean one thing?

 

 

Suddenly, the young man had raised his hand up, caressing Hyuna's cheek with the back of his hand for a good fifteen seconds during which his irises had met hers, however absently.

 

"Go back home and prepare. I wanted to show you some of my baby pictures, but it will be for a next time,, I guess. Go." He had finally interrupted his motion, resting both of his palms on his knees, seemingly waiting for her to get off his couch and leave. But the young girl had stayed still, her teeth unconsciously digging in her lower lip as she had observed him for what had felt like an eternity.

 

"Hello?"

 

"It won't cost me anything to laugh at your face." She had forced herself out of her thoughts, suddenly more willing to bear her boyfriend's annoyance than to muse on the matter a second longer. 

 

"You were going to leave not even four minutes ago…"

 

"I know, time really goes by fast, doesn't it?" Hyuna had ignored, feeling internally bad for having sounded this much mean. In the end, not only she had been angry at him due to a week old reason, right at this instant, but she had also been the one suddenly panicking over things that were mostly her insecurities climbing to the surface. The fact that she hadn't been certain to be all wrong, had surely a part of the reason for her behavior, however she couldn't resolve herself to admit to HyunSeung that she was terrified to lose him, lately. That she had felt like it could happen anytime. Ever since the young man had appeared on Hit the stage, which had made him suddenly open himself to new friendships more than he ever had. Including friendships with women. And while she trusted for sure that he wasn't the kind to commit adultery, she wasn't sure it was the case for any of these female. And it killed her. Silently. But it did.

 

"Ok. I will only show you three." HyunSeung had precise. Necessary or the result of his quirk of his to always announce what he would be about to do, either way, her lover had seemed to wait for an approbation or a disapprobation from her, which Hyuna had only answered to by spreading her hands. 

 

"That's how much you showed me, with the speed you flipped the pages…"

 

"Because if I had paused every time you had started to laugh, I would have shown you more?" Hyuna had mumbled, narrowing his eyes at him.

 

"Alright, alright." The young man had raised his hands in an "I surrender" manner. He better had.

 

"The first one…" HyunSeung had passed his hand under his living room's lower table, grabbing a dusty photobook, far smaller than hers.

 

"Hating pictures since the womb, I see. Are you sure there are even three pictures in this?"

 

"Even if there were more…" HyunSeung had flipped through the photo book quickly, holding it so close to him and nearly closed, that Hyuna hadn't managed to see anything but a scroll of faded colors, mostly brown, white, green, red.

 

 

"Was this your graduation picture? Oh my, God, let me s-"

 

 

"Aish!" HyunSeung had closed the book vehemently, jolting on the left of the couch looking at her with the most obfuscated of expression.

 

"I said I would show you three of my choice, why are you lurking over my shoulder?!"

 

"Are you embarrassed right now?" Hyuna had snorted, immediately putting her hand on when the young man shot her venomous glare. Well, she would still swear on her life that starting to sweat and becoming red, were signs of embarrassment.

 

 

"Emb- That's how much eager to see my baby face you are? To the point of subtly calling me ugly? Fine. Here!" The young man had practically slammed the photo book on the table open, making Hyuna jump as several pictures had appeared before her, revealing a chubby baby, slightly darker skin toned than he was now, but there had been no doubt that this had been her boyfriend during his younger days.

 

Leaning downwards to get a better view, Hyuna had taken the time to look at every picture carefully, glancing a few times at her boyfriend, marveled by how he had barely changed. His doe eyes, his crooked teeth, his pointing cheekbones, his smile. The only differences were that he was holding a car, posing joyfully for the camera, or brushing his teeth, while nowadays, the only way to get him on a picture was to beg him. The young girl's not so discreet looks had also allowed her to confirm her "insult". HyunSeung had been embarrassed and to the point of furiously blushing, his eyes avoiding the young girl's dear life. After a while during which silence had reigned in the room, she had eventually broken it, as her fingers had slipped under the next page. 

 

 

"What is the next one, then, if you don't want me to look on my own?"

 

 

HyunSeung had slowly turned her head towards Hyuna, inquisition detectable in his eyes, probably from the surprise that she hadn't done as she had pleased and ran away with the photo book already. Uncrossing his arms that he had tightly wrapped around his upper body as if he meant to use them as a shield for his self-esteem, the young man had approached himself from her, passing his right arm behind her to rest his hand by her side, using his left one to flip through the book.

 

 

"You know them by heart?"

 

 

"Yeah. Here."

 

Disposed in a linear way, the pictures before the young girl's eyes had shown HyunSeung from primary school until College. She had recognized his looks from what she'd to be his "dark days", during which he had sported long black and blonde hair, a chin and nose piercings, a bit before he had auditioned for YG Entertainment. 

 

"Honestly, how did your parents allow you to do this?" Hyuna had commented, very seriously. To this day, the young girl had yet to comprehend how anyone had found him to look good, let alone himself, considering how caring of his looks he was today.

 

"Hey, we all had a rebellious period." HyunSeung had crumpled his nose at her, the shadow of a smile tugging at the corner of his lips, a sight that had made Hyuna feel butterflies in her stomach, to her own surprise. Practically unbeknownst to her own self, the young girl had stared at him again, plunging into his undecipherable eyes, almost getting drown down, until he had pulled her back.

 

 

"Yes?" The young man’s voice had sounded distant to her ears as if they had been lost in the fog of her mind. It had only reached to her when she had felt her lover's palm rest on her thigh, however, the many of the dispatched words in her mind had still formed a sentence of their own.

 

"You grew extremely fine." Hyuna had blurted, feeling suddenly nervous, like every time she'd know she opened a breach in which her lover wouldn't hesitate to slither in and make her regret it later.

 

 

"Not the first time I hear it. You didn't grow bad either." The young man had conceded, but the usual smugness he had tried to make come through had been betrayed by the glow in his irises. A glow she knew all too well. Piercing, intense, but clouded by lust.

 

If there was one feeling he seemed to be unable to control, it was this one.

 

"You're so full of it, Jang HyunSeung." Hyuna had unconsciously leaned forward to her lover's face, as if he had been a magnet, mercilessly making her powerless against the law of physics.

 

 

"I know." He had said. His body had tensed, prompting his hand to grip slightly more firmly on her thigh. And the strangeness of it all had drawn her to him definitively. Hyuna's eyes had closed briefly when she had leaned in to peck his lips, feeling his purse slightly, almost as if he had wanted to keep them closed, a self-control that was unlike him. And she would have been flattered, at any moment else. Elated that her boyfriend would forbid himself to obtain something he hadn't deserved, instead of just taking it. But she had craved him. Purely and simply. Craved his yearning touch, his loving words, his utmost attention. Towards her and her only. By any means. Right there and then. Without hesitating, or giving herself a chance to overthink and talk herself out of it, she had molded her lips to his, tilting her head to give herself more access as she had slipped her tongue in his mouth. Flicking her tongue against his roughly and fast, trying to trigger the takeover of his concupiscence. Caught in a trance of hers, she had to pull away, desperate for air, her eyelashes fluttering as she looked up at him, slightly confused by his lack of reaction.

 

 

"I just figure you'll need to be rested for tomorrow. And you sure as hell won't get any if…" HyunSeung had bitten on his lower lip, the efforts he had made to not yield to his animalistic instinct, hardening his traits that had been relaxed, until this moment.

 

"Yeah. Not the best idea right now. Thanks." Hyuna had rested her forehead on his, as she had tried to get her composure back, not without difficulty, but so ever grateful for her lover’s consideration. “Last page?”

 

 

“Such a curious girl.” HyunSeung had skipped about ten pages that formed a block between his index and thumb, and the young girl had promised to run away with the photo book the next time she would step a foot in his house. This time, the man on the photography's had been her lover's progenitor. Sporting the exact same pointing cheek bones and crooked teeth, the only differences had been the glasses and the man's eyes, that were in contrary to his son's, shaped oval instead of round. 

 

Hyuna and his father had actually only met two times. The first time being purely formal back in 2009 when 4Minute and Beast had been set to debut and the second time had been in 2011, as all of Beast's fathers had recorded a variety show. Then she had never got to see him again before his unfortunate passing. And to think HyunSeung hadn't got to meet him much more because of his idol life, had made Hyuna's heart clench painfully, only allowing her to quietly say.

 

 

"He'd be really proud of you."

 

 

"Or ashamed. Like mom."

 

 

"Don't say this. She is not ashamed. She is just…" The young girl had paused, not knowing what words she should have used.

 

 

"They're your parents, HyunSeung. They love you. Just like I do, even more than I do."

 

"It's a possibility like another. It would kill me. But it's ok. I've done the things the persons who raised me never did. It's only normal that they'd wonder where they failed. Just like you sometimes why you bear me. Often. It's ok.” HyunSeung had smiled faintly, intertwining his fingers with hers. The young girl had known that he wouldn't insist for her to tell him he was wrong, and that he'd be grateful for it, rather than upset. Some things were worth trying to reassure him, some others would just hurt him. His family's opinion about was one of these things, because they were the only people alive to whom looking good mattered, and he considered that he was the only one who could judge whether he did enough for them or not.

 

 

"I want the last page of this photobook to be our page." HyunSeung had suddenly said, taking her completely aback.

 

"What…what do you mean?"

 

"The last page of my life, for that matter. I want it to be I don't want any of this aspect of my life anymore. Of this fear of seeing a chapter of my life get taken away from me, torn, ripped to shreds..." The bitterness visible in HyunSeung's eyes had felt like needles piercing through her, a painful reminder that she wasn't the only one who could feel insecure in their relationship. And as selfish as it sounded, it reassured her. Because it meant that as long as he'd feel the same, she wouldn't have to open up about her fears. She could just stomach them until he'd show her that he cared for their love.

 

"I would never to this to you." Hyuna had taken his face between her hands, traveling her thumbs up and down of his jaw.

 

"I know." He had kissed her wrist. "I just want to be sure that…it's what you want, too."

 

"Of course." Hyuna had nodded, a small smile on her lips. "My anti-hero."

 

"I like this nickname." HyunSeung had laughed, a loud whistle eventually replacing it, which the young girl had understood to be the result of him having glanced at his watch.

 

"Rest in peace, Kim Hyuna." She sighed, noting that it had now been past midnight.

 

"I can get you there in no time. Do you want me to drive you back?" The young had proposed, offering her his hand to get off from the couch.

 

 

"I have my car, baby."

 

 

"I know."

 

 

"You would play drivers with my car and go back to your house in a train?" Hyuna had put her jacket on, shaking her head at his lover's ridiculousness.

 

 

“In addition of all the many other things I would do for you, yes.”

 

 

"Well, I don't need this from you." The young girl had walked towards him, passing her arms behind his neck, tiptoeing to reach his lips. "Have a good night."

 

 

"I will dream of you, then."

 

 

"Oh, shut up." Hyuna had giggled, feeling her cheeks burn. "Don't say things like this to me."

 

"Why? It drives you crazy? That's exactly why I will keep saying things like this to you." HyunSeung had chuckled, as he had opened the door for her.

 

"Wait. One more." The young man had held onto her arm, flushing her against him, only leaving her the option of aiming for his mouth properly.

 

 

"One more."

 

 

"Jang HyunSeung."

 

"Alright, alright. One last. Please, please?" The young man had pouted, stomping at his place like a three years old kid would when crying for candies to his mom, and Hyuna would just have to give in, simply because was too adorable when he'd like this.

It'd feel like the start of their relationship when everything was simple when all they had to worry was to lock doors behind them for their secret to remain theirs. Sighing at the thought of these memories, Hyuna had titled her head coyly, before she had peppered kisses all over her lover’s face, making the last one linger on his mouth just a bit longer, slowly pulling away just to mess with him. But it had seemed it hadn't worked, as an actual content smile had illuminated HyunSeung's beautiful face, and he had uttered the words she could never get enough of, to which she had proudly answered.

 

“Not the first time I hear it.”

 

 

A/N: Hello guys! How have you been? I have been pretty great and so I am posting this new story today ^^ I'm sorry it is only a one shot, matter and fact I truthfully have no ideas for a real sotry so far, but I have one shots in mind and I could surely try to put some together to make it small stories, hopefully I will figure that out soon enough! I wish you pleasant reading and see you again ~