Heart Beat Beat-Beep Beep pt. 2

Double Soulmates

This can't be happening.

No. It must be a lie.

 

...


"Eomma, can I go play outside?" Seulgi was looking out through the window again.

It wasn't the first time that she did not notice how her parents looked at each other hesitantly, with her mother biting her bottom lip.

"But it's too hot outside, Seulbear." Her father tried reasoning out.

 

Little Seulgi blinked twice, unconsciously rubbing her timer meekly. "But they look like they're having fun even though it's too hot." Her voice was laced with envy.

The couple stared at one another with knowing looks before sighing. "All right, Seulgi. But please be back before 1:30 okay?"

 

"Okay!"

 

 

Seulgi looked back to make sure that she ran as far away as possible from the coffee shop where she met Wendy Son, her supposed soulmate. All these years, Seulgi was hoping that she did have a soulmate, but when the time finally came and her wish was granted, she can't believe it. She just can't. How could she when she was so used to being alone for 16 years or more? Her heart pounded loudly in her chest, her coughing and panting was the only thing her ears heard.

The orange-haired girl didn't know if she was frustrated or annoyed by the fact that she was standing in front of another restaurant.

Her stomach rumbled and she flushed red, from both embarrassment and exhaustion. She didn't get to eat her cake because of the shock she experienced. Did she bring her wallet? She check the back pockets of her denim jeans but found no brown, worn-out wallet, but she did find some bills which was more than enough to pay for food and a ride back home.

So she entered what seems to be a 'chicken' restaurant.

Hunger mader her forget what happened, at least, temporarily as she lined up on the counter, with four people ahead of her. Right now, all Seulgi could think about is enjoying her food without any distractions(like a while ago[that must've been a mistake]) and she then hears the heavenly words, 'Next!' Immediately, she shuffled towards the counter with sparkling eyes, already knowing what to order. Spice braised chicken would be nice. 

The female employee placed in Seulgi's order and smiled at her, "That would be $9.95." Nodding her head, the monolid-eyed girl searched for her pocket for the coins, not knowing where she put her bills. "Ah!" She exclaimed when she took out the coins but a penny unfortunately fell and rolled away. Seulgi shot the woman an apologetic look before muttering a sorry and chasing after the coin she needed to complete her payment. Five steps before she finally caught it and went back to the counter and paid. The employee just nodded before calling after the next customer.

Confusion was written all over her face. "Wait, where's my order?" She questioned. The employee raised her brow before pointing behind Seulgi. "A tall girl said that she was your friend and took the tray to the table there." What? What friend? Seulgi definitely didn't have friends who took her food somewhere first. That would be an enemy! Seulgi thanked the employee before looking around with scrunched brows and her eyes then landed on a table close to the glass window, where a woman with yellow hair that catches everyone's attention sat. In front of the blonde stranger, was, There! I sweat that's it! spicy braised chicken. She immediately approached the stranger with a frown on her face, upset and hungry.

"Excuse me," She started. The blonde looked up and realization dawned on her face. "Yes?" She answered calmly. Seulgi pointed at the spicy braised chicken, "That's mine. I'm hungry." She said politely. "Well, I'm hungry too. Thank you for paying by the way." The blonde smirked before turning back to the food Seulgi technically paid for. Seulgi gaped at her, disbelief written all over her face. "Hey! Seriously though, why would you take someone else's food?!"

"Free food." She answered simply.

Seulgi gritted her teeth before clenching her fists. No, she was not going to give up. She wasn't able to eat her food the first time, heck no will she let someone else eat the second one. She sat down on the chair in front of the stranger before quickly pulling the plate to her side of the table. "Hey!" The blonde protested before Seulgi raised her hand. "I'm not a bad person..." She started. "So if you're hungry, we can at least share what ordered and paide for." She emphasized. The blonde stayed silent before sighing. "Okay." Seulgi clasped her hands together before standing up, leaving the blonde confused. "What? Where are you going?"

"To get us chopsticks, duh." Seulgi answered.

"Aren't you afraid that I'd eat all of these while you're gone?" She stared at Seulgi suspiciously.

"We had an agreement. I'm pretty sure you won't break that."

Then you must be too innocent to believe that.

Seulgi retreated to ask for chopsticks at the counter, leaving the blonde who was tempted to touch the food but couldn't.

...

7-year-old Sooyoung was sitting on the bottom of the yellow slide, hugging her legs to her chest, frowning at the other kids who were in a circle, laughing and having fun. They were too scared to ask her to play with them, because she was glaring at everyone who tried approaching so they backed off. In all honesty, it was just how she was. She pouted, ready to cry because she was lonely when she sees a shadow and looks up. 

"Hello!" In front of her was a beautiful girl whose ebony hair was tied into a high ponytail. She was smiling at Sooyoung so brightly that it almost blinded her. "...Hi." Sooyoung bit her lower lip, feeling strange because of the enthusiastic greeting which she returned monotonously. The unnie sat besides her, eyes blinking a lot as she stared at the kids having fun. "Why are you not joining them?" She asked Sooyoung.

"..."

"You look younger than me!"

"..."

"What's your name?"

"..."

The pony-tailed girl frowned and tilted her head at Sooyoung who answered none of her questions. "Wow, you're quiet. Well, my name is Seulgi!" She puffed out her chest and grinned. "I'm 10-years old! This is my first time going outside and talking with someone...Well, maybe I'm just the one talking." Seulgi laughed awkwardly. Sooyoung looked up and stared at her with raised brows. "First time going outside? Why?"

"Oh, so you can talk!"

"..."
 

"...Sorry. Well, kind of. My timer went 0:00 a month ago and since then my parents didn't allow me to go outside."

Sooyoung frowned at that. She looked at the timer on her wrist, and also found it 0:00. She didn't know when, but maybe it was the same time as Seulgi's as she remembered crying and trying to find her mother in the house because of a searing pain in her wrist. It was also a week after that did she finally decide to start going outside, thinking that she probably missed her soulmate, which, for her, would be a good thing.

 

"I see..." She went back to looking down at the ground, while Seulgi hummed. They sat in silence for awhile but Sooyoung thought it was comforting. No one has ever joined her in sitting away from the others before. Sooyoung was thankful but at the same time guilty because she treated Seulgi bad.

"Do you like the ground?"

"No...?"

"Oh, I thought you liked it since you keep staring at it."

Sooyoung didn't know whether to be annoyed by that or think that this unnie was an idiot. She was wrong to think that the silence would last. Seulgi just gave her a cheeky smile, "Won't you please answer my questions?"

"...Sooyoung..."

"Huh?"

Sooyoung looked at her with a blank stare before continuing, "My name...My name is Sooyoung. I...I'm 7-years old and also..I...don't think they want me to join in." The last part was quietly said. Seulgi shooked her head, stood up and dusted herself, which surprised the younger. "Nonsense! C'mon let's go play with them!"

"What? No!"

"But I thought you wanted to play?"

"I-I do b-but..."

Seulgi scrunched her brows before crossing her arms and nodding, "Ah." She sat back down without a word which confused Sooyoung even more. "W-What?" Seulgi just shrugged before showing her a toothy grin, "If you want to stay here and watch, I'm fine with that too. If you want, we can play with just the two of us, Sooyoung!" Sooyoung winced at the unfamiliar voice as a shiver run through out her whole body. Seulgi noticed this and asked, "What? Did I do something wrong?"

"N-No...it's just...I don't like my name."

"Oh."

Seulgi pouted before looking in deep thought. Sooyoung thought that Seulgi was thinking of weird things about her but then Seulgi's brown eyes lit up and she squealed. "Ah! I know what to call you!"

"Eh?"

"A nickname! Let me call you by a nickname!" She was shaking from excitement which made Sooyoung's eyes go wide. Shouldn't people just call each other by a nickname if they were close?

But Sooyoung and Seulgi are strangers...

And yet,

"S-Sure."

She found herself replying in anticipation.

"I'll call you.."

...

"Oh, wow! You really didn't touch it!" When Seulgi came back to their table, she was surprised to see the blonde staring at her boredly while tapping on the table with her fingers but not touching the food. "Well, I keep promises." She showed off proudly. Seulgi just chuckled before sitting down and both of them started eating when Seulgi hands the blonde the chopsticks. It was peaceful almost through out until only one piece of the spicy braised chicken was left. It was too small to be shared and both of the girls were hungry.

"Hey, I bought the chicken so at least let me have the last piece."

"But I'm hungry." The blonde whined.

"I'm hungry too." Seulgi argued.

The stranger shook her head and sighs before rolling her eyes, "Okay, okay! Have the chicken, but I'm only letting you have it because you paid for it!"

Seulgi let out a giggle before taking the last piece, the stranger stared at her accusingly and with envy as she chewed on her lower lip which Seulgi found amusing. After she swallowed, the stranger finally let out a sigh of relief, before muttering words that sounded like, "Finally over..." After a chuckle, Seulgi took the time to observe the stranger in front of her. She was really pretty. But Seulgi finds a lot of people pretty. Her hair was dyed into a bright, yellowish blonde color except her roots showed that she had indeed, black hair once. Her bangs were choppy and her white skin goes well with her straight her that contrasted from Seulgi's dark orange and wavy hair. Her eyes were a bit big for a Korean and Seulgi finds them very pretty and attractive. Her cheeks were rosy red and a bit chubby which in fact, she was actually skinny. Her lips were really red and looked soft. Overall, Seulgi found her very pretty. Even her voice color was really nice to listen to. Very relaxing.

But Seulgi was curious about one thing.

"Why did you took my order?" Seulgi blurted out.

It seemed that the stranger expected the question because she answered almost as soon as Seulgi asked, "My wallet was stolen while I was on my way here. I was really hungry, but I'm sorry for lying to you. I'll pay you back when I finish college."

"Wait, what? How old are you exactly?"

"20."

"So you're a freshman?! But that means I have to wait until you graduate!"

"Exactly."

"Wait, wait, wait, it's only $9.95, why can't you pay me back when your parents send you allowance?"

"..."

"...?"

"I...My wallet...My parents sent me the money for my tuition fee that I was going to pay for but it got stolen."

"...So I have to wait for how long again?"

"A month. I work as a part-timer so not long. But for my whole allowance, I have to wait for 3 months, so thank you for the last, delicious meal that I will have for now."

"Oh, that's fine."

The stranger looked at her strangely. "Can't you just let me go this once? Don't you feel sad for me?"

"Am I supposed to? I mean, I am sad for you but my friend would kill me if she finds out that I paid for food and you stole it."

"We shared it, don't lie."

"Psh, okay, okay, anyways, I have to know your name. You haven't told me yet."

"You haven't told me yet either, unnie." 

"But a dongsaeng should introduce herself first!"

This person sure is funny. The blonde concluded. She was pretty attractive, but of course, not as attractive as her. She had monolid eyes, which she didn't see often, she also had wavy orange hair and from the eyes of another person, they might have been mistaken for idols. For some reason, the unnie's eyes looked undoubtedly familiar. But she shook her head thinking it was impossible. Her shoulders jolted slightly when she felt her wrist heating up.

She glanced down before looking back at the waiting girl. Impossible. 

"I think you need to be more happy and confident of yourself." Seulgi smiled comfortingly at Sooyoung who looked at her expectantly. "Huh?" "When the time comes, I'll call you Sooyoung when you finally decided to love your name, okay? For the mean time, I'll call you by this nickname."

At that moment, Sooyoung didn't understand what Seulgi meant when she said, 'When you finally decided to love your name."

"Joy. I'll call you Joy."

 

"Joy. My name is Park Joy."

 

Immediately as she introduced herself, she bumped her hand on the table and shouted an 'Ouch!' when her wrist suddenly heated up that it hurt. Seulgi looked shocked before grabbing her wrist so tightly that it went pale. Seulgi looked at Joy before fear made her body shook. This.

 

This is impossible.

Seulgi and Joy looked at each other with wide eyes and open mouths.

Suddenly, Seulgi remembered what happened this morning.

Wendy.

Joy.

This is...

What is this?

...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Joohyun unnie..."

"What is it, my dear Ddeulgi?" Joohyun, or Irene's image was projected on the screen of Seulgi's laptop.

"I...I don't know what to feel right now."

"Oh? Did something happen?"

"I...met my soulmate."

"What?! Isn't that a good thing?"

"Unnie...." Seulgi's voice was quivering, just a little more and she's going cry.

 

"I met two of them."

"Eh?"

 

 

 

A/N: I am so very very very super sorry for making you wait for this long just for a chapter like this D:

The good news is, I'm doing very well in my class, and at the same time, finally Red Velvet fans will have a name!