001

Wing Theory

Sehun’s wings fluttered dejectedly as he passed the university gates as usual, already bored of his daily routine even though it had only been three weeks since the fall term started.

Although, he supposed, 3 weeks was quite the record. As a junior at Seoul National, he had suffered through many years of memorization, formulas, and GPA’s throughout his lifetime, and as such, felt he was entitled to his world-weary attitude.

Said attitude frequently caused him to grow bored of his classes extremely early on in the year; this year, however, was particularly quick, due mostly to the fact that his lack of credits for basic class requirements had finally caught up with him.

As a freshman at SNU, Sehun had opted to take more difficult courses and prerequisite courses in order to secure his seat in even more challenging courses for sophomore year. However, in doing so he had disregarded the basic credits that he needed to acquire in order to graduate – for example, Fine Arts, Music, and, of course, the most dreaded: Wing Theory.

Despite its innocent sounding name, students across campus had denounced Wing Theory as the most dull, monotonous class on campus. Sehun had heard from his dorm manager that even the most enthusiastic freshman at SNU, Do Kyung-something, had nearly fainted from boredom in Wing Theory.

Sehun, too, had soon discovered why – he had yet to learn anything, either from the textbook or the teacher. After three weeks of basically free periods, Sehun was sure that the syllabus, if it even existed, was a piece of information he would never see.

Still, as an aerosafety major, the broad-winged junior had plenty of work to do and was grateful for the time Wing Theory provided in order to finish it.

At the same time, he wished that for once, he would actually learn something in a college class. Sehun had entered the college with dreams of success and hopes that his droll life would be turned upside down the moment he set foot in the classroom – clearly, that was NOT the case.

Sehun shook his head in disappointment for the way his life had turned out as he stepped into the classroom. He greeted the professor with a simple “hello” as usual when he passed by the shorter man’s desk before walking down the narrow aisle and taking his seat in the furthest row. He pulled out his notebook, pen, and laptop to start his Aerodynamics homework as the other students began to filter in.

None of them greeted him. Sehun scoffed softly under his breath. It’s not like I’m invisible or something.

That was just another reason he wanted to end this “fun,” “time of his life” college experience – not a single person in the whole college acknowledged him, save for his dorm manager, Luhan. However, the older boy was quite popular for his beautiful hazel wings, matching eyes, and bubbly personality, and as such, spent close to no time with Sehun outside of the routine dorm checks.

Giving up on his homework, Sehun slammed his notebook shut with a huff and plopped his head on top of the stack of books. As he began to ponder life and its meaning – the daily thoughts of a young adult – he failed to notice the looks he was getting from around the room.

Just as he began to lean back in his chair, the back of Sehun’s outer feathers prickled with the odd feeling he got whenever someone was looking at him. Slowly lifting his head up to face the front of the classroom, he was shocked by what he saw. His heart skipped a beat when he noticed that everyone, even the professor, was staring straight at him.

What. The. Hell, Sehun thought to himself. He ruffled his dark brown hair awkwardly, simultaneously praying for them to stop staring and wondering why exactly they were doing so in the first place.

Confused, he started thinking of an explanation for their sudden, odd behavior.

Maybe I have something on my face. He quickly lifted his hands up, hiding his face with one and wiping his mouth free of stray particles with the other. As occupied as he was with his actions, he once again was oblivious to the actions of the classroom’s other occupants.

Sehun looked up, startled, when he heard a flurry of whispers in the otherwise silent room.

! The normally blank faced boy’s face displayed his shock, eyes wide and jaw on the floor. The professor, who had never before moved an inch from his desk, was standing right in front of him, his expression mirroring Sehun’s own.

Just as Sehun regained control over his brain and was about to make his confusion known, the professor began to speak.

“Y-you…Who are you?” the middle aged man asked fearfully.

Sehun’s dark brows furrowed in confusion. What is he talking about? He decided to voice his thoughts.

“Sir, I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m one of your students.”

The professor shook his head in disagreement before replying.

“No, you’re not. I have never seen you in this class before.” Suddenly, his voice took on a knowing tone and he tilted his head slightly. “Ah, I know. You must have wandered into the wrong class – here, let me get you a pass for your teacher.”

Sehun had never been so baffled in his life. What the hell is going on? Am I going crazy? Well, it wouldn’t be too shocking, he thought offhandedly as the professor rushed back to his desk, who wouldn’t go crazy after years of my monotonous life?

Shaking his head slightly to bring himself out of his thoughts as the professor returned, Sehun cleared his throat and began to speak.

“Apologies for my blunt tone, sir, but I am not in the wrong class.” Seeing the roster in the professor’s hands, he continued. “I’m a junior named Oh Sehun, if that helps.”

The professor looked up with a horrified expression on his face.

“D-did you just say, O-oh Sehun?”

Sehun scoffed in derision for what seemed like the nth time today. Is this idiot of a professor deaf? “Yes, sir. My name is Oh Sehun. O-H S-E-H-

The professor cut him off with a wave of his hand and when he spoke again, curiosity was mixed into the still fearful tone of his voice.

“I know your name– everyone does, in fact.”

 Sehun’s brows knit themselves even closer together. Everyone? But I have no friends…how is this possible?

After a few moments of gawking at the professor, Sehun finally decided to ask what the professor was talking about.

“This might sound like a stupid question, sir, but could you possibly explain exactly how everyone knows me?”

Seeing the hesitation on the professor’s face as he opened his mouth to speak, Sehun’s heart began to pound, anxiety flooding through his body.

“Well, young man, everyone knows you because…oh, I don’t know how to say this.”

Sehun’s knuckles turned white where he was gripping onto the edge of his t-shirt. Spit it out!

“Go on, sir. What is it?”

When the man in front of him spoke again, only curiosity – and, for whatever reason, wonder – remained in his tone.

“Everyone knows you because you’re…well, you’re dead.”

Sehun’s thudding heart stopped.