The way love works ♥

The Way Love Works

 

I do not own Henry or Gackt or Johnny or any other artist mentioned in the story. I only own the plot. This is only for entertainment purposes and I do not mean to tangle any rights of anyone. This story is MY idea, it being like any other story is pure coincidental. Do NOT plagiarize or post elsewhere without my permission.

.

Henry and I first met during my first year of high school. I first went to South Korea with my uncle who was half Korean and half Japanese. He was the manager of the Korean idol boy band, Dong Bang Shin Ki.

My uncle introduced them to me. They were fun and outgoing. I had liked being with them. They introduced me to other SME members, including trainees that were going to debut soon. Like that I met Sooyoung and Sunny unnie. Uncle told me they were going to debut in a group called Girls Generation. Sunny unnie’s voice was so unique and Sooyoung unnie was such an awesome dancer.

I also met Donghae, Kyuhyun, Eunhyuk, Sungmin and Yesung oppa. My uncle told me they were from the idol group Super Junior and had already received much success.

Dong Bang Shin Ki became a lot like my brothers. That was a good thing, especially since I was an only child. They had already debuted in Japan as Tohoshinki, and had gotten many fans. They were first going to debut under father’s, but then, then debuted under AVEX. We were in close touch with AVEX, however. At that time, I didn’t know how close my father was going to make me to AVEX.

I didn’t meet Henry through DBSK. I met Henry when I went to high school. Henry was really good looking and had many girls all over him.

I recall Changmin oppa telling me to be careful, then waving to him after he dropped me off at school. The next moment, my face was few centimeters about the ground, being held up by a strong pair of arms. Even when Henry was only sixteen, he was really strong.

Like any other girl, I blushed at the huge embarrassment I had gotten on my first day, thanked him and quickly went inside.

Since father was not able to take care of me, I had to live with uncle until I was able to stand up on my own two feet. Unlike my uncle, my Korean wasn’t that good as my uncle was the only one who was evenhalf Korean in the family.

Not everyone knew my status in Japan; thankfully, I wasn’t as crowded as I usually was when I went to school in Japan. Though, my looks did attract some boys.

I had no idea why, but I kept seeing Henry every now and then, around the corners. He’d smile at me and then disappear with his friends. I was eager to know why, yet too shy to ask him myself.

After tripping into his arms, I never met him face to face. From distance, we saw each other, but the second time we met each other was on the rooftop, was when I was in my third year of high school. Henry was in his last year. Yes, we had gone through three years without talking, just passing each other smiles.

I had gone there during lunch to get a breath of fresh air. I didn’t think Henry would have been there. Henry was always around with his friends, goofing off and all.

But strangely, he was up there.

“Henry-sshi!” I exclaimed seeing the Canadian on the rooftop.

The Canadian boy’s face almost at once shot towards my direction. He bowed formally into a ninety degree and greeted me. “Anneyonghaseyo, Miyako-sshi!” he greeted me loudly.

I automatically bowed ninety degrees seeing him bow. His greeting made me giggle a little. “Anneyonghaseyo, Henry-sshi.” I giggled and muttered.

Henry motioned for me to come and sit next to him.

“Why aren’t you in the cafeteria, Henry-sshi?” I asked him after a while. He shrugged. “It’s too crowded down there. What about you?” he asked as casually as his voice could get.

“I felt like eating outside. You know…in the fresh air..” I muttered. He chuckled.

“I always bring my own lunch. My mother makes it for me. Would you like to try?” he asked me. His eyes almost glinted for a while, I was taken much aback. But I smiled and accepted, gratefully.

“Dheybaaq!” I exclaimed. Was that how ‘awesome’ was pronounced?

“Daebak? Is that what you’re trying to say?” Henry asked with a strange smile on his face. I blushed and nodded. I had spent almost four years in Korea, yet I wasn’t able to pronounce ‘daebak’ correctly! What an embarrassment…

“I…my Korean isn’t that good.” I admitted, with my head down, in English. Henry chuckled again. “Mine isn’t that good either. If you don’t mind, can I use English around you?” he asked, also in English, not even a bit ashamed.

I nodded my head, frivolously. “I’m Japanese, but my uncle is half Korean-half Japanese and he’s managing DBSK so I’m here with him.” I blurted out, without realizing that I had almost told him that I was—

“Ah. Minhyuk-sunbaenim, isn’t it?” Henry asked. My lips twitched into a confused frown. “Yes, but how do you know him?” I asked him. Henry stole a glance at me and chuckled.

“I also go to SM. I’m a trainee. You know…I’ll be featured in Super Junior’s next song!” he said, in an excited tone. “I’ll be doing a solo violin part in Don’t Don.” He said.

“Ah really? Congratulation!” I exclaimed at once. He laughed at my sudden outburst. “I haven’t met much SME members, just DBSK, Donghae oppa, Eunhyuk oppa, Sungmin oppa, Yesung oppa and Kyuhyun oppa..And of course, Hyoyeon, Taeyeon and Sooyoung unnie…no one else..” I muttered, more to myself than him.

“You call them ‘oppa’?” Henry asked. I subconsciously nodded, my thoughts still on why I couldn’t meet more members. “Call me oppa too!” he said all of a sudden, catching me by much surprise again. He surely knew how to surprise someone!

“What?” I asked. “Call me oppa too. I’m older than you, aren’t I?” he said. I laughed at the expression on his face. “If you want me to. I’m two years younger than you, I guess.” I said. He raised an eyebrow.

“I’m only going to be sixteen this year. I was put in school, earlier than I should have been.” I explained. He let out an ‘oohh’ and then goofily grinned.

“Do you want me to help you with your Korean?” he asked, all of a sudden. Again, surprising me. “You can?” I asked, staring at him with really thankful eyes. He laughed. “In return you can help me with Japanese. In case I go to Japan and all..” he said, trying to hide all the boastfulness in his voice. I still couldn’t help but laugh.

“If I am ever to debut in Japan, I’ll be sure to debut under J&A.” he said. My eyes almost fell out of their sockets. “You..know?” I asked, unsure of what to say.

He laughed. “I’m a fan of many J&A groups.” He grinned. “I think Johnny is really successful. Let me rephrase that, I think your father is really successful.” He complimented. “Thanks..father really tries hard. I’m supposed to take over J&A after him.” I muttered.

“Aren’t you a little young?” Henry asked. I shrugged. “I’m already managing KAT-TUN little by little. As soon as high school ends, I’ll be going back to Japan where I’d have to both manage more than one band and study. I’ve already tried with production process.” I admitted, bitterness hidden in my voice.

“You’ll be able to do it.” Henry said. “Thanks, Henry..oppa.” I smiled at him. The bell rang, indicating that lunch was over. Henry beamed at me.

“Hey, come here tomorrow too. We can eat together again and we can work on your Korean as well as my Japanese!” Henry suggested. “Okay!” I said, almost a little too excited. Henry laughed and helped me up.

He was a lot like an oppa…

That was the second time we met. Henry and I began frequently meeting after that. Other than just teaching each other language (Henry even tried teaching me Chinese which sort of failed), Henry even taught me how to play the violin. At first, it sounded like an animal wailing as if it was about to die, but as Henry coached me, I became better.

I even taught him how to play flute. The flute was the only instrument I could play then, but Henry taught me more, including the violin, piano and all.

We became really close, rumors spread around the school that we were dating. Of course Henry and I denied. But secretly, I myself knew that I was beginning to have feelings more than just friendship, or sibling-like relationship, towards him.

At one point, Henry began coming to pick me up to take me to school from home and walking me home. He’d always say his house wasn’t far, but from what Kyuhyun oppa had told me (I lived really close to the SME building, and the school was also pretty close), Henry’s house was the furthest from the SME building.

“Henry oppa…you know that my father loathes Canadians..” I muttered out of the blue, one night as Henry escorted me home. We had gone to a karaoke with a bunch of friends and we didn’t even realize how late it was. Henry, as usual, offered to walk me home, causing all the girls to start teasing us. We just ignored it.

“He does?” Henry was surprised my sudden topic. I let out a dry laugh. “Mother was killed in a car accident in Canada. Father pressed charges against the driver in the other car, but the he..lost. The other driver…he bribed the judge and won illegally. No one took action. Ever since then…father has been loathing Canada and Canadians.” I muttered.

We walked in silence until we reached my house. As usual, I hugged him and was about to leave, but Henry caught my wrist.

He scratched the back of his head and stared into my eyes. “Uh..how do I say this..” he muttered, his face getting redder by the second. I frowned and stared back.

“I..this is so awkward. But…to tell you the truth, Miyako…remember when you almost fell on your first day to school?” Henry asked. I nodded, recalling the humiliating encounter.

“Ever since then…I thought you were really pretty. You are very pretty. But…after we began meeting up..” he trailed off, his eyes looking away in embarrassment. I smiled. “Feelings changed from friendship to maybe something more, right?” I asked him.

He nodded without looking. I smiled and walked towards him and turned his head towards my own. “And…now it’s going to be really awkward..and your father would probably not even approve of me and..you might not-”

I stopped his stammering my crashing my lips onto his. I had to tiptoe. “Those feelings are mutual, oppa..” I muttered, breaking apart.

“But your father..”

“Father would want me to be happy…”

Henry smiled. Once more, he lips his lips take over mine.

No one knew of our relationship. It was just me and him. We both kept it secret. I knew father would want me to be happy, but he wouldn’t really approve if I started dating someone whom he had no idea about.

Eventually, I introduced him as my boyfriend to my uncle. My uncle was way more let loose, he didn’t mind at all. He knew Henry and all. He was happy for both of us.

As soon as Henry graduated, he began his career as a hallyu idol.

Times we could see each other became rare as he had practice and as my last year of high school, I had to put more effort into my studies.

But then, my uncle got a call from father..

“Promise me you’ll always wear this?” Henry asked, as he helped me put on a special necklace he had gotten for me. It was real silver and had a dragonfly pendant with three little diamonds in the middle. Henry said it embodied how free I was, specially being the daughter of the CEO of a huge company.

He also said the three diamonds was one for him, one for me and one for both of us, being together. It was cheesy but it was adorable.

“I’ll always think of you when I wear it.” I promised him, and pecked his lips. “Sealed with a kiss, huh? Clever.” He grinned and pulled me into one of his loooooooooooooooooooongand addictive kisses.

But it didn’t last long this time, uncle Minhyuk just had to interrupt.

“Miyako..” he muttered, in a pretty serious voice as he stood in the doorway of the practice room Henry and I were in. (Yes, we make out in practice rooms, yet manage to keep our relationship secret. Clever, huh?)

“What is it?” I asked, a frown replacing my smile at the tone of uncle’s voice. Uncle Minhyuk sighed. “I’d tell this to you separately, but I think it would be best if Henry found out now too.” he said and came towards us.

“What’s wrong?” Henry asked, this time. He was also frowning.

“Miyako..your father called. He said he’s arranged you a flight on the night of your graduation. He wants you back as soon as possible. He’s even arranged the university preparations for you.” He sighed. “He’s planning on bringing you into the business field when you return.”

I felt my heart stop for a while.

“I haven’t even told him about Henry…” I muttered. Uncle Minhyuk, lifted my head. “He’s been arranging a lot of things..” he said. Only he didn’t finish the sentence. Maybe because Henry was there. In his eyes I saw what he was trying to say.

‘Including your marriage’

Tears welled up in my eyes and I burst, hugging uncle. “I don’t want to go!” I wailed. Henry must’ve been taken aback. He was quiet for a while.

“Make the most of it. Graduation is only three days away. I can cancel all of Henry’s schedules and practices for the three days. It’s going to be a long time until you can see him again..” my uncle muttered.

I looked up at his through my teary eyes and smiled at him. “You’re the best uncle ever!”

“Anything to keep my only niece happy…”

And those three days…we spent in his house. His parents were very nice and loving. They welcomed me more than delightfully. Oblivious to the fact that my father probably wouldn’t.

Those three days seemed the shortest days in my life. Before I knew it, the day of graduation had come. Most of us were happy to get out of the label ‘high school kids’ but me…I wished I was in high school forever.

Henry saw me off at the airport. I remember his exact last words before our last kiss.

“I promise I’ll work it out! I promise I’ll work out a way for us to be together. Believe in me, alright? I love you!”

I was only barely able to nod.

And that..well, that was the last time I saw him, face to face. Sure, I saw his songs and all. He had become very famous.

But I never saw him after that. I missed him a lot, but I just couldn’t tell father that I had been dating a Canadian before..

“Miyako-chan?”

Gackt’s voice brought me back to reality.

“Yes, sorry, what is it?” I quickly asked him.

He held up a ring. “I asked whether you liked this ring. You’ve been lost in thought for quite a while, Mi-chan.” Gackt frowned. I laughed. “I’m fine.” I said and looked at the ring. There were three diamonds on it.

“One diamond represents you, the other one represents me and the last one represents both of us together and our infinity times incredible love!”

Henry’s cheekily cute voice echoed inside my brain.

I forced myself to smile at Gackt. “It’s perfect!” I said. “Then…I’ll go talk to the cashier?” he asked. I nodded and watched the older leave. Then sighed.

Before Gackt.

I just couldn’t tell him I had been dating Henry before he had arranged my marriage with Gackt.

Father had said that he wanted me to be with someone who was capable of running a business in the music industry and also being part of it. Which of course, Gackt was.

Henry too!

The tiny voice in my head always protests whenever father’s words come to my mind. But I knew it wouldn’t be of any use. Father wanted me to be with Gackt so with Gackt I had to be with.

Father was over eighty, I couldn’t risk defying him.

Just then, my cellphone beeped. A message from Kamenashi.

/MIYAKO-CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! K-pop idols are here! We’re going to meet them. We don’t know much Korean so…I think you should come. TOHOSHINKI IS HERE! They’re asking about you! Come quickly! X3/

I laughed after reading the message. Kame was just so cute. I was twenty, he was twenty four, but it seemed like he was twenty and I was twenty four.

I walked over to Gackt, tapped him on the shoulder and informed him I was leaving and the reason. Gackt just smiled his million dollar smile and told me to go.

Gackt knew about me and Henry. And he didn’t mind. It was not like he also had such feelings for me. He thought of me as a kid sister who was way older than her real age. He’d call Henry ‘that cute Canadian kid’ even when I’d tell him not to call Henry that. He seemingly wanted me to be with Henry. At least, he had indicated that in some ways. And these days…almost as if he was planning something.

I’d always knock my head and tell myself that I was only wishing he was doing such a thing. And…I really did wish. Only…it just couldn’t happen.

That was not how things worked.

Before I knew it, I was standing outside the main door of Johnny & Associates’ building. Kame and Koki came rushing when they saw me.

“Turns out, they’re here for SMTOWN Live in Japan.” Koki explained. “The whole SM family is here?” I asked. Koki nodded.

That meant…

I saw Yunho, Donghae, Changmin and Kyuhyun rushing our way, with a familiar face at their tail.

“MIYAKO-CHAN!” the four shouted. The younger that was chasing the other four froze when he heard his hyungs shout my name. His eyes and mine met after a long two years.

“Miya-chan..”

“Hen..ry..”

 

 

“So…h..how’ve you been doing?” Henry tried to casually ask. Only he stammered.

Kame and Koki had taken the others and ditched us so both of us could be alone. I could have killed both of them at that moment. It was usually Nakamaru whom Koki partnered up with to annoy Kame but now, Kame had taken Nakamaru’s place.

GYAH. KOKI, YOU’RE SPOLING KAME, NOW!

“Miya~?” Henry’s voice brought me back to reality. The reality in which I was alone with Henry. Inside a practice room.

Kami, do you have something against me?!

“Sorry…lost into thought.” I muttered quickly. Henry shot me a small smile. “Things changed, huh?” he muttered. “I wish it didn’t..”

“I…I’m sorry, Ry. I love you, but for father’s and the company’s sake…I have to marry Gackt.” I muttered, still not looking at him.

“Hey. Miya. Look at me.” Henry said and tugged my sleeve. Unwillingly, I let out eyes meet. His eyes were still the same. The same warm brown yet so deep and intoxicating eyes.

“I promised you that I’d find a way for us to be together. And I will.” He said. I sighed and turned around.

“That’s just not how things work, Ry. What if father finds out? He’s over eighty and the shock could…kill him.” I hesitantly admitted.

“I’ll make sure that doesn’t happen, okay? I never break my promises, Mi-chan. And especially to my loved ones.” He said and pulled me towards him, crashing his lips on mine.

Oh, how I missed those lips of his. The inviting taste, the—

I pushed away, even though I didn’t want to with tears filling in my eyes. “I’m sorry, Henry. I love you, but I..I can’t!” I cried before dashing away. But I was slow enough to catch him say one last thing, “I promised!”

 

 

“Just let it be, Kame-kun. What happened, happened. It’s not like you can make father not hate Canadians.” I sighed as Kame tailed me into one of the offices inside the building.

“But we can! Henry said he missed you! He loves you! And it’s going to be like a broken heart-” Kame imitated one with his hands. “-being put back together! Its romantic, can’t we just try it?” Kame pouted.

I sighed and looked at him with hurt eyes. “Kame, I also love him. Do you think I didn’t love him when I came back? NO! I felt like dying when I came back. But if I tell father, he might die! I love Henry, but I love father too!” I said and walked out on him.

“Miyako-chan!” Kame shouted. I turned around. “Before this day ends..” he pointed at once of the clocks in the office.

14.08pm

“Even if alone, I’ll make sure you and Henry are back together. Before Cinderella loses her fairy godmother’s magic.” He said in a determined voice. I smiled at him.

That’s just not how things work, Kame-kun…

 

 

“KAMI, KOKI! Stop stepping on my foot, you idiot!” Jun growled. “I’m older than you, kid! Pay some respects, why don’t you!” Koki shot back at once.

It was almost midnight and KAT-TUN were practicing Rescue with Super Junior to perform a remix with Super Junior’s Don’t Don and it.

Don’t Don…Henry’s violin…

“Where is that Henry? We can’t practice without his violin part!” Eunhyuk growled in Korean.

“Where is that Kamenashi! HE NEEDS TO BE HERE, DAMMIT!” Nakamaru shouted in Japanese.

Everything was havoc.

“ARGH. EVERYONE. SHUT. UP.” I finally shouted. Note: in English. “Everyone knows Japanese, so if you want so say somwthing SAY IT IN JAPANESE!”

Everyone seemed to calm down for a while as they waited me to carry on.

“We’ll call it a day. We’ve been here for the last two hours and you haven’t been able to practice songs without collaboration. Bad.” I frowned and turned to the Super Junior members.

“For Super Junior, we’ll call practice at eight in the morning. I don’t want anyone to be late. You’re going to have to need to format the song for the ten member version. I am not sacrificing my precious time going to Korean military bases to find Kangin or to China to find Hangeng or to movie shooting areas for beg Kibum to come back. And it better not be vague, giving Kangin’s parts to Yesung or giving Kibum’s parts to Donghae. I mean it.” I glared at the ten older Koreans without any mercy in my eyes. Then turned to the older Japanese males.

“As for KAT-TUN, Jun, I’ll need you to drag Jin in here for tomorrow’s practice. He said he’s visiting his parents, I’m giving you excuse so you can go fetch him. I want all the members to be in this, Jin’s no escuse. As for the rest of you, I want you here by six in the morning. Sharp. Whoever finds Kamenashi, I want you to make sure he knows of this. And for kami’s sake, WOULD KOKI STOP STEPPING ON OTHER’S FOOT?!” I screamed. 

Koki, along with the rest of KAT-TUN, jumped at my voice. From the corner of my eyes, I caught Ryeowook whimpering behind Yesung and other muttering, some trembling. *coughKYUFREAKINGHYUNcough*. I sighed. I guess I was that scary.

“Tomorrow better be good else everyone in this room at this moment…you’re wishing you were never born.” I threatened and walked out of the room, closing the door behind me.

Correction : Banging the door behind me.

I sighed again.

I knew I was getting worked up because of Henry. And that Kamenashi..he hadn’t come to my sight after two thirty. It was already eleven thirty now.

Could he really be trying to get me to be with Henry?

I shook my head, trying to get rid of the thought. He couldn’t. It wasn’t possible.

I hadn’t seen Henry around either. Neither he, Gackt or Kame..

It irked me how avoiding they had been.

“Miyako-ch--”

“WHAT NOW?!” I shouted, turning around, taking all the stress in my head on the person who was standing behind me.

It was Gackt. He looked as if he had seen a ghost.

I sighed. “I’m sorry. I’m just stressed with the special performance and all.” I began rambling. “Super Junior really should have done the performance with you. It would have been better. I bet AVEX is much more organized that I am. What a CEO I am going to make…”

It was Gackt’s laughter that stopped me.

“What?” I asked, frowning.

“I met that cute Canadian boy. He was really determined to win you back from me.” he said. Automatically, blood rushed to my face. What had Henry done? Was Gackt going to call off the marriage? What would father think?! He’s practically hate Henry for the rest of his life!

“Don’t worry. He didn’t do anything rash for Johnny to hate him.” Gackt grinned, seeing the pale look on my face. “He said he wanted my help since, according to him, he knew that I was also only doing it for business purposes rather than love and that I loved you merely as a sister and that he loved you so much and I don’t want to go into the details.”

Gackt was grinning and I was blushing as I rolled my eyes.

Kami, that Henry…

He hadn’t changed a bit. Corny and cute as he always was.

“I just talked to Johnny about the marriage and came. At that moment…seems like the kid also had to talk to Johnny.”

Oh…no

 

 

“You called, father?” I muttered as I walked inside father’s office.

There with him, stood Henry and Kame.

Henry met my eyes for a split second and smiled at me. He had hope in his eyes. That was all I could recognize.

I tore my gaze away from him and turned to father, not missing the mischievous grin on Kame’s face.

“Mi-chan…you could have told me about him.” father started. “I didn’t want you to think I was defying you..” I muttered weakly. “Especially after mother..”

“But you love him, don’t you?” Father asked. I just stared at the ground without replying but I felt as if he was stooping low to see my face. I was only able to reply when Henry came and lifted my head, making me directly face him.

Do you love me?” he asked. His eyes…so…deep…

“I…do.” I muttered, my gaze not ripped apart from his eyes, tears forming in my own. He reached for my hand then slipped something on it.

The ring!

It was the ring which Gackt and I had been looking at earlier. The one with three diamonds. He raised his hands and showed me a matching one.

“One for you, one for me and one for both of us.” he muttered and smiled his naturally irresistible smile. “I…how..” I stammered and turned back to him. I heard father and Gackt laugh, heartily.

“Gackt had told me about Henry, Mi-chan. We had planned this for a while.” Father smiled. Tears welled in my eyes; I was unable to stop then from falling.

“If you love him, who am I to stop you?” Father asked with a sincere smile. “Father…thank you!” I choked out, before bursting into tears and hugging him. Father had a weak body, especially with the age, but he was able to catch me in his arms. He was rather healthy compared to another of his age.

“I only held that grudge for a little time, my baby princess. You should have known I’d get over it.” he muttered, patting my back. “I’m sorry I just assumed, father. It was such a devastating topic to just talk about that I…” I trailed off. “It’s okay, Mi-chan..”

After a while, I let go of father and looked at Gackt and Kame who were sharing an identical grin.

They had planned all this. They had all planned all this!

I bowed as low as I could, expressing my gratitude. I wasn’t able to stand up. Kame’s arms helped me. “Thank you…so much!” I gasped and hugged the two who also hugged back without a word.

Finally I turned back to Henry. He smiled. “When do you want to get married?” he asked, humorlessly.

I tackled him into a huge bear hug. “I love you, Henry Lau, whether you’re Canadian or Korean or Japanese or British. I always have and I always will.” I muttered, my tears making his shirt wet.

“I love you more.” He simply muttered and lifted my head so our eyes could meet. “I love you so much, that I don’t care how far we have to me, in South or North Pole, as long as I know that you love me back.” He whispered.

“Since you both are still very young, should I arrange your marriage for after around ten years?” I heard Father ask, but I was once again lost in Henry’s eyes.

“They can’t hear you right now..” I heard Gackt say.

I heard them clearly, but I didn’t want to. All I wanted to be was with Henry, listening to Henry!

“I can’t describe the hell I lived without you.” He whispered, his face closing in dangerously. Normally, I’d have been ashamed to do this in front of father but…

“I love you that much…” he whispered, his lips softly caressing my own lips. His perfume, his lips, his arms, him. We were together now, and I didn’t care.

It’s strange how love works, isn’t it? I had even forgotten that father was there when his lips touched mine. The feeling… it was overwhelming.

“I love you too..”

Ah…the way love works…