Last Dance

Last Dance

 

 

    Jihyo was tired of the night already. Although the Winter Formal had only started two hours ago, meaning there was at least one hour left, she felt that she had all the fun needed for the night already. From talking and laughing to all of her friends, to dancing and eating everything necessary, her night was practically over. Her date was her friend Youngjae, a family friend that was older than her who could’ve been at work instead of socializing with his friends. She was thankful for him to be there, although he was more of an accessory to her than anything else as she spent most of her time around her friends.

 

  The two were finally alone as they sat down to take a break, and Jihyo was about to ask him about how his night was going when he got back up from the chair. He mentioned the bathroom and she sat back in her chair, secretly releasing her feet from the prison of the terribly uncomfortable shoes beneath. Jihyo scanned about the room, her eyes examining the way people’s bodies moved and the language of dance. Although a bit odd, the activity was relaxing to her.

 

    A particular girl, named Momo, was spectacular at dancing. The way her body moved along with the beat as if they were the same being, and her facial expressions of pure bliss and determination. Jihyo found herself gaping just admiring the talented dancer. Although Jihyo knew who Momo was, she wasn’t positive that Momo knew who she was. They had classes together, yes, but they only talked a total of thrice and every topic related to school.

 

    As the music began to slow down, Momo elegantly made her way to the snack table  to grab a glass of what looked like iced tea before she surprisingly began toward where Jihyo sat. Jihyo wasn’t sure how much time had passed since Youngjae and left and assumed he went back to his friends after returning from the bathroom. She didn’t worry though, if he was having fun without her, then she decided everything would be better if she didn’t try to include herself in everything. Momo stopped just in front of Jihyo, a smile on her face.

 

    “Hi Jihyo!” Momo enthusiastically started, taking another gulp of her drink. She was clearly still excited from her last dance and willing to share that feeling with anybody. “I know we don’t talk much, but I thought since I saw you here I might as well get to know you better.”

 

    Jihyo was shocked. Someone like Momo was curious about her? Momo wasn’t exactly the most approachable person, giving off an aura of extraordinary talent and wonder. She had friends, of course, but they never coincided with Jihyo’s friend circle. She smiled back, “Hey Momo, that’s sweet of you to say that, I didn’t really expect this to happen.”

 

Jihyo began to slip her feet back into her heels when Momo surprisingly stopped her, “No! No! You don’t have to put those back on! I don’t see any reason for you to put them back on.”

 

“Oh…” Jihyo nodded, adding, “How’s your night going so far?” She was prepared for the usual small talk, although she felt unusually comfortable while talking to Momo.

 

“It’s been pretty swell! How about you?” Momo of course was still happy, but genuinely curious, and not just courteous. Jihyo liked that.

 

Jihyo shrugged, “My night’s been going alright, although I’m about finished with it by now. I already had all the fun I could’ve had tonight.” She didn’t need to lie to Momo, there was nothing positive that could come out of that.

 

Momo nodded in understanding but suddenly stood back up before replying, “I know what one last thing could make you night fully complete! Stand up!” Momo reached for Jihyo’s hands and Jihyo grasped them back, still in shock. When Jihyo was fully standing up alongside the passionate brunette, Momo smiled, “Dance with me.”

 

Jihyo gasped, Dance with Momo? “But it’s a slow song right now and my date is somewhere else and my shoes are back there and-”

 

“None of that matters when there’s music, and me and you.” Momo guided Jihyo straight into the dance floor and settled her arms closely on Jihyo’s shoulders. She carefully led Jihyo’s hands onto her sides and chuckled softly down at Jihyo.

 

Suddenly all Jihyo could see was Momo. The rest of the people, her nonexistent shoes, Youngjae, time, they were gone. All she knew was music and Momo. The feeling overwhelmed her as well as surprised her, as that was the first time she ever experienced that. Momo’s eyes were a sea, her body an earth, her soul a world. Jihyo wanted to know it all.

 

Momo was gentle. Shy. She didn’t want to scare Jihyo, she wanted to comfort her. A good last dance was needed for everybody. “You’re a good dancer, you know?” Momo whispered.

 

“You’re amazing,” Jihyo replied breathlessly. Momo made her breathless. She had only talked to Momo four times, but the moment was persuading her to try for a kiss. She decided it was better not to, they weren’t in some cliche drama. Momo was real.

 

Momo shrugged, “Thanks.” One word. As soon as it started, their dance ended. Fast pace music began and the world was all around Jihyo once again. Momo released her hands off of Jihyo’s neck and disconnected Jihyo’s hands from her hips. She guided Jihyo off the dance floor back to her seat quietly. “Thanks for the dance.”

 

Jihyo steadied herself onto the chair, Momo was real? Attempting to form a coherent sentence while her mind still tried to find words, she responded, “T-thank you too. Really.”

 

“See you in Physics!” And Momo was gone, dissolving into the dance floor. Jihyo was back in the normal world. She took a deep breath, closing her eyes. Momo was real. Jihyo glanced at the time on her phone, wishing for the night to go by faster. Time couldn’t be slower when she was excited for first period Physics on Monday.