Chapter One

ASHES
chapter one

"Maybe I shouldn't go."

"Are you seriously trying to get yourself out of this?"

"No, it's just that I didn't technically get invited and-"

"The invite said plus one."

"I know, but don't you think it would be weird if I-"

"You're going Alora, and that's final." The discussion was over and my best friend went back to applying her matte red lipstick.

"Alright, Mom."I groaned, slumping back onto her king sized bed defeatedly, "But if my dad somehow finds out, you're dead."

"He won't! Trust me."

I sighed, deliberating on whether I should believe her words. What I should be doing is studying for my Psych test for next week, not getting ready to go to a party I'm probably not going to even enjoy.

"Plus there's gonna be cute guys." Kaelyn turned to her closet and reached for two pairs of shoes, ultimately deciding on the classic pumps, "And I heard that Vernon is gonna be there." There was a knowing look on her face as she wiggled her eyebrows at me after putting on her heels.

"There's absolutely nothing going on with me and Vernon." I bickered, and she instantly rolled her eyes. "Are you sure?" she said, "Because if I remember correctly, he asked you out last Friday."

"And may I remind you, I shot him down." I picked up a magazine from her shelf and began to flip through it lazily, spotting an ad for the new theater center they were opening up in downtown.

"Oh, come on! He's HOT." She argued, but I simply ignored her. "You're seriously telling me you don't like him?"

"Nope." I said, flipping through the pages and landing on a horoscope article. Those were always my favorite.

"Damn. And here I was thinking you were playing hard to get."

"I mean he's sweet and all." I paused after reading on my monthly astrological forecast and setting the magazine back down on my lap, "I just don't know if I'm ready to get serious again after..." I trailed off as my mind wandered to places I've tried so hard to stay away from.

"Wait," Her eyes narrowed down on me, "Is that what this is about?"

I kept quiet, trying to avoid eye contact. Kaelyn sighed and sat next to me on the bed and took my hand. Whenever Kaelyn took a deep breath before she's about to talk, you know there's a long lecture coming. And I could feel one coming my way right this second. The worst part? Sagittarius are known for being blunt and straightforward.

"Listen to me. Jaebum isn't coming back. What he did to you is unforgivable, and you need to let go of that douchebag of a guy." She paused, "It's been two months, Alora. And while you've been wasting all this time rotting away in your pain, who knows how many more girls he's ed around with and-" She stopped mid-sentence. Kaelyn rarely knows when she's about to cross the line, but thank the heavens she came to her senses.

I closed my eyes as a familiar stinging began, with the lump in my throat growing stronger. Even though it's been two months, it still feels like a fresh wound every time I hear his name. Her words cut through me like a blade, but I know what she spoke was true. And whether I liked it or not, I had to face the reality of it all at some point.

She hesitated, and took a few seconds to collect herself, as did I. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like that."

"I know." My voice came out faint.

After a few silent moments, Kaelyn finally stood up, and she pulled me along with her. "Come on, there's no way in hell I'm letting you wear that to the party of the year. You have to look bomb as if we plan on making an entrance." Strangely, her way of completely changing the subject eased my mood, making me smile.

Kaelyn, although can be stubborn, always has the best intentions. And she always knows how to cheer me up. We're complete opposites, but somehow we work out just fine. I'm the introvert and she's the extrovert. I don't know what I would do without her.

Following her to her closet, I eyed myself through the mirror, "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

"Honey, you look like your going to church."

I scoffed as she vigorously searched through the rack of clothing, finally pulling out a black dress that seemed three times smaller than an average healthy size.

I could feel the blood draining from my face already, "What the hell is that?"

She clicked her tongue on her teeth, disapproval written across her face, "You can never go wrong with a classic little black dress."

"No way."

"Yes way! Your waistline would look ing amazing in this! And don't get me started on how your would-"

"OK, okay! Just give me the damn dress." I spat out before I could hear another word. What am I getting myself into?

I went to the bathroom, tossing my baby blue sundress to the floor. Okay I'll admit, it was pretty ugly. But it was the only thing I had.

After a few minutes of attempting to slip into that tight dress, I basically gave up; it just wouldn't budge. With so many straps, how could anyone figure out how to put that contraption on?

I stuck my head out the door, "Um, Kaelyn?"

"Yes?"

"I think I'm stuck."

Kaelyn busted into the bathroom as though she were in a mission, "Jesus Christ, Alora. You're wearing it backwards."

With one look at myself in the mirror, it didn't take long before I doubled over laughing, and soon Kaelyn joined as well.

After fixing myself up, I took one good look at my outfit and my eyes automatically went to my-

"Holy your s look ing great." Kaelyn nodded in approval, and my hands instinctively covered my revealing chest. But still, she went back to her closet and pulled out a short leather jacket, handing it to me. She knows me way too well.

Kaelyn pulled me to her vanity and sat me down in front of her impressive collection of expensive makeup and hair products. "You honestly could be a model Alora. I can't even begin to fathom how you don't take advantage of that."

"I'm too short to be a model." I snickered, but she rolled her eyes and ignored me.

"Please tell me you weren't planning on wearing that same old ponytail of yours."

The look I gave her said it all.

"I swear, sometimes I feel like there's no hope left in this world." She pulled my scrunchy out and began to work her magic.

When it came to Kaelyn and I, she was the pretty one. And I don't mean that in any self-degrading way, it's just a matter of fact that she puts more effort into her appearance than I ever did. I'm more of a stay-at-home-curled-up-reading-a-book-on-a-Friday-night kind of girl. I don't care for makeup, or pretty clothes, or expensive shoes. Kaelyn, on the other hand, is a preppy-social-butterfly who would probably win homecoming queen, so you can imagine what her wardrobe would consist of; pink, glitter, and more pink.

She's your typical A-lister in the world we call high school, though she tries to stay away from stereotypes. She's her own person in the best way possible. How we became best friends, I don't know.

After what seemed like an hour of continuous hair-spraying and eyebrow plucking, Kaelyn was finally done.

"My masterpiece is complete!" She turned me around to face the mirror, and my mouth literally dropped open. I couldn't even recognize myself. This girl, whoever she was, she looked like she came straight out of the magazine I was reading earlier. Her eyes were compelling, the dark makeup complementing her aura, adding a hint of mystery. Her long hair, a warm shade of burgundy and brown, fell over her shoulders in a variety of waves and soft curls.

This girl was utterly stunning.

This girl was me.

"So do you finally see what I mean?" Kaelyn smiled and looked into the mirror with me. "You are absolutely beautiful, Alora. And any guy would be lucky to have you. I know you've been through a lot, but don't close yourself off from happiness." She paused, "See that smile plastered on your face? That's how it should feel each and everyday of your life."

She was right. What I felt was confidence, which was something that I lost a very long time ago, and to tell you the truth, it felt good.

I was in awe, speechless at a loss for words.

"You are-"

"Amazing? I know." Kaelyn cut me off before I could finish. "Come on, we have a party to crash!"

• • • • • •

We finally arrived at Windermere; a neighborhood with houses where the pools are indoors, where five luxury cars can fit inside one garage, and where every property has a gated entrance with acres upon acres of land.

But if it's one thing I know, the only thing bigger than the mansions are the ego's of the people living inside of them.

We pull into the driveway of one particular house so big and enchanting, it appeared to be straight from a fairy tale book. But just by seeing all of the cars parked in every direction and hearing the loud music blasting from inside, I began to silently cuss every swear word in the book.

What the hell am I even doing here?

I should get out of the car while I still can.

Maybe I could make a run for it?

But honestly, I can't even remember the last time I actually had some fun.

But who's to say that the definition of "fun" should be going to a house party on a Friday night, filled with hormone-raged teenagers higher than the empire state building? Because for all I know, "fun" could mean sitting down with a mug filled with rich hot chocolate in one hand, and a great book in the other. The definition of "fun" is completely up to interpretation, therefore I should not proceed to continue on with such plans that were only enforced upon me by the cruel powers of peer pressure and-

"We're here!" Kaelyn's voice sang, momentarily distracting me from a full on panic attack.

Damn, I need to calm the down.

It's just a party.

What's the worst that could happen?

• • • • • •
Author's Note

Hi everyone! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of my new BTS fanfiction. I'm very excited for this, so please look forward to future updates! For all of my "Famous in Love" readers, I haven't forgotten about you! I will be going back and forth between both stories. 

Also, I'd like to give a special thanks to the amazing daenyen for helping me tremendously in the creation of this story ❤️