Final

Heartbeat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

During the last part, There were some change of POV's so I hope you guys don't get confuse with that :D

Enjoy!~

 

During second year of high school, Lee donghae transferred to a school in Busan. Ever since he transferred here, I've never seen him socializing with others.

 

As for me, my name is Lee Hyukjae. Everyone around me called me Eunhyuk and I don't even need to explain the parallel theory between me and that comedian, do I?

 

"Yah Eunhyuk, are you listening?? You're being called!! Eunhyuk!"

 

I'm just a normal teenage you see everyday.. Well, maybe a little bit immature as I dyed my hair in a red color but hey, the uncle in my neighbourhood is offering a low price for hairdye so why not? I also joined the light music club which till now got only four members there (not so famous, I know). Me the handsome, Kyu the genius, Min the bunny and Wonnie the horse.

 

And the me at the time,-

 

"Yah, Eunhyuk!"

 

-is kind of interested in a boy named Lee Donghae. The cute, slient boy who was sitting at a row away from me beside the window. Usually, he doesn't talk to anyone at school. He goes home right away as soon as school end. He sit out during P.E. There were rumours that he has health problems but no one knows the truth. I've started to take an interest in him as more mysteries pile up around him.

 

"LEE HYUKJAE!!!"

 

"Ow!" the flying object suddenly hit my head hard and I hissed as I looked at the teacher who was glaring dagger at me after throwing one of her chalk.

 

"FOCUS ON MY LESSON, WILL YOU?!!!" she shouted, hands on her hip.

 

"Sorry, miss." I said sheepishly, hand still rubbing the sore spot on my head as my classmates roared in laughter, except for him who only turned to me slightly and focus back on the lesson. Ouch, that's cold.

 

During the middle of July, we crossed paths.

 

"Teukkie hyung!! I'm skipping class so please let me sleep on the bed." I mumbled tiredly as I pushed the door to the infirmary which Leeteuk hyung, my cousin work at.

 

But my step froze when the door opened, my eyes widened to the size of a plate.

 

"Ahhhh!"

 

"WAAAAAAAA!!" I screamed.

 

There, the person that I dreamed of almost everyday. The one I have a crush on. He was staring at me with his big round eye panickly, trying hard to cover his half form as his face was blushing furiously. Damn!

 

"I'm sorry!! I'm sorry!! I didn't do it on purposed!! I swear!! I..." I stopped my rambling as I pulled my hand away from my face, frowning slightly.

 

Instead of his his half figure, there was something on his chest that caught my eyes..

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"...Do you know what 'Koku Haku Desease' is?" we were sitting on a bench in a park after that little incident and after long minutes of awkward silent, Donghae spoke up. His voice were soft and timid, maybe he still feel embarassed from what happen earlier. I hit my head mentally for my recklessness.

 

I turned to him "I've heard of it before. A few years back, a celebrity died because of it and now it's pretty well-known."

 

"Yeah, it's that." Donghae smiled slightly though it was full of sadness as his gaze turned elsewhere.

 

"Officially, a weak heart muscle make the heartbeat irregular. It's in the same category as cardiomyophathy. It's a strange disease that only happen to one among million people. Have you heard of this?" this time his brown eyes turned to looked at me, beautifully but no spark in there "The amount of times a person's heart beat in their lifetime, is decided when they're born. But a person who has this illness has less heartbeat than everyone else." he lowered his eyes and pulled out his phone to type something there then gave it to me. I looked at the phone.

 

"This is the app that was connected to the device that's plastered on my chest. Take a look." he lifted the phone to me and I hesitantly took it to my hand and looked at the app which was still loading.

 

My eyes widen slightly when the loading was completed and it showed the pulse heartbeat sign. Beside it was a familiar face that I know by heart, the name written below...

 

Lee Donghae.

 

"That is.."

 

"The amount of heartbeat that I have left.." Donghae continued my sentence as I became speechless.

 

221,124,617 bts, it revealed..

 

"If you have the personal app and your ID, you can check your own heart. There's about 220 milllion beats left.. You might think there's a lot left but in 6 to 7 years, my heart will stop beating." I gulped in shock as he put his hand to the left side of his chest "The pace maker that attached on my chest is what supporting my heart and reminds me of the remaining time I have left. In truth, I have nothing wrong with my health but the price is high.. My lifespan will shorten the faster my heart beats. That's why I'm prohibited from doing strenuous exercise."

 

When I recalled listening to this heavy conversation... I could remember that I thought to myself 'Ah he sure can talk.'

 

"So.. That's why you skip P.E. Why are you talking to me about this?" I asked, genuinely curious to why he decided to tell this to a stranger like me.

 

Donghae looked at me shyly "I thought that if you knew about my condition, you'd choose to keep it a secret rather than tell others about me. At my previous school, it was uncomfortable because of the rumours about me and from the way you look, I wouldn't think that you're a bad person who'd spread rumours." he said softly. I blushed a little to that. This is so.. fluffy.

 

I smiled sadly "You had it rough huh."

 

Donghae smiled a little and shook his head "Not really. Other than my short lifespan, everything is normal.. But.." he looked hesitant for a moment then continued as he stared at nothing in particular "In truth, I want to get along with everyone else." I looked at him, surprised.

 

"I want to have fun like them. If things keep going on like this, I would prefer to live my life out with every second I have left." he said with a hopeful looks on his face but then mumbled sadly "But I'm afraid to do it since it would shorten my lifespan.."

 

I thought that the boy in front of me, looked so sad as he was talking.. That sad look from his beautiful eyes and his voice which becoming more and more quiet as we talked.

 

"...It's been a while since I spoke with someone so I went a little bit over." he chuckled softly "Forget about it. I have to go now. Mom will be worried if I stay too long. Hyukjae shi! Please keep this a secret, ok?" he said softly as he got up from his seat and was about to walk home when I shouted.

 

"Donghae shi!!" Donghae turned back and tilted his head questionably.

 

"Were all those... your true feelings?" Donghae bite his lip and nodded. "If it's true.. I'll help you!! I'll help you enjoy life to the fullest and make your heart beat like crazy!!" I said with determination as I put my hand to my left chest, smiling widely to him.

 

Donghae widened his eyes "What?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh my god!!! It's the seaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!" Donghae squealed loudly as his eyes kept wondering around the beach which I took him to eargerly. I laughed at him, amused by his reaction.

 

Our school were on the summer vocation and I asked Donghae if he want to spend time with me which he was a little bit hesitant at first but after my non-stop persuation, he finally agree so that's why getting this kind of reaction from him make me feel kindda proud to choose the correct place.

 

"Hey hey Hyukjae shi! Take a look! The sea is so huge!! Who would've thought it was this big!!" Donghae made a motion with his hands spread wide to the ocean excitedly.

 

"Eh? Is this your first time to the beach, Donghae shi?" I frowned slightly.

 

"Yeah!" He shouted to me, still with his excitedly voice. Ah.. how I love this..

 

"Ahh.. my heart is beating so fast!! Hey, What do we usually do when we come to the beach?? Dig for seashells??" he asked eagerly while jumping up and down.

 

"You sure are excited huh?" I shook my head and laughed a little.

 

Who would've thought I get to see him react like this?

 

"Umm.. Are you really ok with this, donghae shi?" I asked hesitantly.

 

Donghae turned to me "Hmm?"

 

I looked down sadly "Well... I did say I'd help you.. but if I get your heart pumping like that, I wonder if if it's the right thing.."

 

"Ahh.. Don't worry about that, I thought of doing this to myself sooner or later anyways. It's a good opportunity. Besides.." I looked up "You are the first person I've told about my disease. Normally, people wouldn't have treated me so kindly but you seriously thought about my feeling and that's why you were able to say those words. That's why.. Thank you Hyukjae shi! I'm really happy!" Donghae smiled widely and I felt my heart fluttered.

 

So that's how Donghae looks like when he smiles!!! His real smile!! That eyes full of sparkle and pink lips stretched up to show those adorable white crooked teeth!! Ahhh I'm melting!!! How can this human be so beautiful??

 

His smile was so precious.

 

I was still in the middle of squealing and fanboying this cutie pie when Donghae said "And also, I don't know much about the outside world.. I wasn't sure what the first thing I should do. I'm glad I have someone to help me with it." He blushed and scratched his nape shyly. I smiled, showing all my teeth and gum.

 

"Of course I'll help!! If you have anything you want to do, just tell me, Donghae shi!" I folded my hand to my chest and smiled confidently.

 

Donghae giggled "It's fine even if you've never done it before. Oh yeah! You can just called me Donghae. No need to use formal word. We're friend.. right?" Donghae asked with uncertainty.

 

I smiled and nodded "Of course!! You can also called me Hyukjae orrr maybe Eunhyuk is more better." I laughed nervously. Damn! This is so embarassing.

 

Donghae tilted his head and frowned a little "What's wrong with Hyukjae?" He asked innocently but then something seems to dawn into him as he tried to hide his laughter with his palm which is not working at all. "Ahh..hahaha that comedian?? hahahha Ok ok hahaha" he laughed as I huffed and tried to glare at him with my red face.

 

After his laughter die down a little, Donghae lifted his forefinger cutely and jumped a little "Oh! How about I called you Hyukkie then? It's more better."

 

I stunned "Hyukkie?" I muttered.

 

He nodded "Umm! Hyukkie!"

 

Slowly, a wide gummy smile came to my face again "Of course you can!!" I exclaimed. Donghae beamed. Ahh my heart..

 

And that was how our holiday started...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

We experienced lots of exciting heart beating moments. We did everything we could think of.

 

"Ohh.. We're going up, Hyukkie!" Donghae said slowly as he eyed the roller coaster moving up to the highest point. I gulped. Damn, this is so nerve-racking.

 

"Y-Yeah.. Donghae..."

 

"Look, we're almost at the summit..! This is bad. This is bad..! It feels like my lifespan is short-ending!!" He squealed on his seat and gripped his over-the-shoulder harness tighty to crontrol his excitment.

 

I frowned at him, slightly upset with his exclamation "Yah, Don't say it lightly with a happy face like that!!" I scolded.

 

Donghae seems not to noticed this as his face looked hyper to the front. I sighed.

 

"Ahh! It's.. COMING!!" I looked to the front and there it go.

 

"KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" Donghae screamed hard as I gritted my teeth at the speed.

 

Screw it! How the hell could this freaking thing be so fast??!

 

After that frightful ride, me and Donghae walked back down weakly -almost crawling to the floor- as we both pant hard and tried to catch our breath.

 

After a while of inhaling the sweet oxygen, Donghae looked up to me with his sparkling eyes"What's this?? It's so fun!!! Let's go one more time, Hyukkie!!"

 

I stared at him in horror "EHH?" Did I hear something wrong??

 

The first thing that surprised me when I spend time with Donghae is that, his presonality is so different from his appearance. His image in school is of a silent and gloomy person but in reality, he loves to talk and move around. He can tell a joke and humour others and the more time I stayed with him I became more and more sure that I definitely in love with this person.

 

"WHAT?! You haven't had ice-cream before??!" I asked in shock as we sat on the bench.

 

Donghae pouted "Yeah.. It's said it's not good to cool my body.. I was told that when I was a kid.."

 

My eyes softened then I got up as Donghae looked at me questioningly. I smiled and just told him to wait there.

 

After a few minute, I came back and gave the chocolate ice-cream cone I bought earlier to him "Here! Try it!" I smiled.

 

Donghae lifted his head and his eyes widen like a kid seeing a christmas tree. He took the cone hesitantly then tried to put it to his mouth and it slightly. His eyes became teary.

 

I panicked "What? What? Is it that bad? Aish! I knew I should've bought you a strawberry on-"

 

"THIS IS SOOOOO DELICIOUSSSSSSSS!!!" Donghae suddenly exclaimed loudly with tears flew down from his eyes as his free hand went to shook my shoulder hard.

 

That's why... I'm a little taken aback when his image is so different from his personallity. The only one who knows this side of him is me and that thought alone makes me feel.. happy.

 

I smiled fondly to the creature who still busy with devouring his ice-cream messily. When our eyes met, I just cleared my throat and looked away, leaving donghae dumbfounded with an ice-cream still smaring all over his face. Cute.

 

The two of us continued to explored the fun fair more and we end up playing lots of game, watch the circus and going to the haunted house which Donghae wouldn't stop trembling and clinging to my shirt and many more as smiles never leave our faces.

---------------------------------------------------------

The sun nearly set as we decided to ride a bike along the mountain route before we went home.

 

"Ahh.. I had so much fun today! The sea was nice, so was the indoor pool! I want to go again." Donghae sighed happily at the back.

 

"That's fine and all but hold on tight ok? It's dangerous." I said as I tried to control our bike which move down the hill a little fast.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter