fin

She Hates Her, She Loves Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She stared at her.

 

No, she glared at her.

 

She couldn’t stand to be in the same room as her anymore.  She’s been with her for as long she could remember; from primary school to secondary school and whatever the hell came after those mindless years.  She was merely just a shadow to her.  Always had been.  Always will be.

Her earliest memories include her scoring the top grades in the class, professor’s favorite student, handed in every assignment early, and she would always be picked first in for a team in recess and gym class.  She’s always resented her for the last reason ever since her best friend, Kim Taeyeon, picked her first for her team and not her.  After that day she ripped the title of best friend from Kim Taeyeon, and began a bubbling hatred for Jessica Jung.

 

Tiffany Hwang hated Jessica Jung.

 

And she was fairly certain that Jessica reciprocated the feelings of hatred towards her. 

Tiffany studied day and night, turning down countless offers to parties in high school because she was determined to receive the valedictorian title.  Looking back on it now, seven years after she had graduated and the school became her alma mater, Tiffany was still hung up on the fact that Jessica stole her position of the highest academic honor in school.

 

She had the perfect farewell speech prepared for graduation to the school where she dedicated four years of her life.  It was the perfect blend of a bittersweet see ‘ya later speech, with a look how far we’ve come since freshmen year component, and what she’s learned throughout the years of high school.  Her mother already had a copy of the speech framed and hung in the family room, next to her senior portraits, before the school year even ended. 

 

Tiffany had finished the year with an exceptional grade of a 4.29.

 

Jessica Jung finished with slightly higher grade of a 4.32.

 

Pin pointing a feeling to Tiffany Hwang’s emotions was a hard task to do when she figured out that she didn’t rank first.  Angry isn’t the right word to describe her.  She was fuming in her room when she heard the news.  The school had sent out a congratulatory email to the top 10 of students, which of course she was second on the list, coming behind Jessica Jung.  Tiffany stayed up in her room for an hour, during her own graduation party, because of how furious she was.

 

If she had just pushed herself a little harder then maybe she would’ve beat out Jessica.  The whole reason Tiffany had her graduation party on February 17th, a week before the ceremony was because she knew that was when the school announcement was coming out.  She wanted to celebrate her graduation and being top of her class with her family and friends.  But unfortunately, the title didn’t belong to her.

 

Tiffany Hwang detested Jessica Jung.

 

After the time she had spent in school with Jessica, including university, she finally felt free after their final graduation together four years after high school.  Jessica Jung did not graduate first in their class at the University of Korea.  Tiffany didn’t even graduate first in the class either, but she was satisfied that it wasn’t Jessica who took the crown away from her again. 

Tiffany thought she had been freed from her own personal hell the day she received her university diploma.  But doomed to be trapped in hell on earth for eternity, Tiffany and Jessica landed a spot for the same internship for the same company.  And approximately eight months later, an angel disguised as hell’s almighty devil came down and they were both hired for the same job.

 

Tiffany silently repented all of her morally wrong doings—things that she contributed to that were worse than a devil’s sin—to hopefully get some recognition from any God to make her situation lighter.  But there was no God.  She had no faith to believe in a God.  And it wasn’t due to Tiffany missing church for the past six years, it was an even worse situation that made her lose all faith in God.  In her new office space, at her first real job, she was only three desks spaces across from Jessi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter