Cold | Oneshot

Comfort in the Cold | The Closer Weekly Writing Contest Entry
Please log in to read the full chapter

 {  ONESHOT  }

I opened my mouth to say something, but the sound I heard instead was a scream. Not from me. Someone else in the room let out a shrieking scream. The sound pierced through the room as quickly as my fingertips froze with glass sharp frost. I stumbled backwards two steps and clenched onto the lace down the sides of my coronation ball gown. The ice picks of my fingers pricked into the magnificent gown that was chosen for me the morning before the ceremony. I remembered the brief morning, being woken by Jisoo too soon and grunting as I had gotten out of bed and dressed for tonight. Oh how I had wished for the coronation to go smoothly. Smoothly it went, until now. 

"Jennie..." Jisoo's small voice gasped. The initial scream from before now turned into multiple screams. People shouting and running for their lives. 

"She's a monster!" 

"Monster!" 

"An evil curse!" 

"We are doomed!" 

My hands and knees trembled. A group of ambassador guards formed a circle surrounding me with their swords and armor. My voice was caught. I couldn't say a single thing. My whole life, I had been protected by guards, and here were guards pointing their swords at me. I was a monster. I was a ing monster.

"Jennie!" Jisoo called out again, trying to get through the guards. I took a last look at her; she was beautiful, a perfect little sister. She'd grown up so well, showered with sunlight and love from our parents. Allowed to do whatever she had pleased with her free time. She wore her hair up in a beautiful updo tonight, which fitted her well, despite her always going with casual side braids. Her gorgeous green gown complimented her rosy cheeks and bright brown hazel eyes. The same bright eyes that stared at me with terror and utmost horror two minutes ago. She was of marrying age, and perhaps I had overreacted when her date asked me for her hand tonight. In the anger of the moment, I had been unable to control my powers and froze the hanging chandelier with sharp jagged ice shards, that then crashed and shattered onto the floor of the ballroom. 

"I...I'm sorry... I didn't mean to..." I scrambled for words, everything sounding wrong and nothing sounding right coming from my ice cold mouth. Even my voice sounded like the chilly wind of late December, leaving shivers down everyone's spines. I gasped and felt crystals forming at my lips. I need to get out of here. I need to leave now. I am a monster. What was I even thinking? An ice princess taking the crown? I couldn't even make it through the ceremony without scaring everyone half to death. The kingdom will do better in Jisoo's care. Jisoo will be able to calm things down. She's always so bright and loved by the people. She can make the grass green again. She's the complete opposite from me. I would just freeze everything. I would just terrorize eve

Please log in to read the full chapter