1/1

Hocus Pocus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ghouls and beasts of every age come adorned in their most exquisite costumes each year to the Transylvanian Spooktacular. It’s not an event to be missed. Perhaps that would explain why Baekhyun – someone who’d much prefer to stay at home practicing and developing his incantations – has found himself attending. He doesn’t plan on participating in blood pong or pin the tail on the goblin, really he had no reason to be here, but some illusive force probed him to dress in his best witches robes and attend. He already hated his irrational decision to do so.

Situating himself far from the bustle of the party Baekhyun sips sheepishly on his slime soda and watches with narrowed eyes how guests flurry and chatter amongst themselves, trying to their best to hear over the throbbing music. Baekhyun only tugs the brim of his witches hat down, shadowing his face as to avoid be recognized in the crowd.

“Hey! Watch out!” A distressed shout calls over the crowd, but the lack of specifity causes Baekhyun to believe the warning isn’t targeted at him.

Calmly he takes another short sip of his soda, swirling the green liquid in the cup absentmindedly.

“Hey you! Witch!” Only now did the shouts catch his attention and he snaps his gaze upwards, yanking the wide brim of his hat backwards to allow him a clear view. Propelling straight towards Baekhyun’s face is a skull – the one’s he sees used for kicking or catch – with little time to act his hand instinctively reaches for his wand.

Before Baekhyun even has the time to annunciate the correct spell a tall individual shifts in front of him, shielding the young witch from the collision. He strikes out a clawed hand, clamping the missile between strong fingers.

“I told you not to aim at the other guests” He scolds the culprit of the throw who cowers guiltily from across the room. Pegging the skull back at his colleague it smacks into his gut causing him to hunch in pain.

“I-“ Baekhyun attempts to speak still in the middle of processing the situation that just unfolded. Sharply the taller male spins on his heels, looming over Baekhyun with a face shadowed by the venue’s dim lighting. Baekhyun feels uneasy under the stranger’s stern stance.

The male eases into a crouched position, allowing some light to shed onto his appearance. Through tousled mousy locks are a pair of deep brown orbs, twinkling amber. His lips lift to display a wide fanged grin. “You okay witch?”

“Uh-“ Baekhyun drawls, eyes investigating the stranger’s features as he still remains in the process of comprehending the situation.

“Sorry about that ruckus, I told my friend to try and aim away from the other guests but he doesn’t appear to have the best hand-eye coordination” The boy lets out a series of hoarse chuckles, Baekhyun’s eyes float to the crown of his head where he notices a pair of furry ears twitching along with his amusement.

“Okay…”

The werewolf seems to detect Baekhyun’s unease and so holds out a welcoming paw as he makes a cheery introduction. “The name’s Jongin, how about you witch?”

Not the best at introductions Baekhyun slips a limp hand into Jongin’s, shaking weakly. “Baekhyun” He murmurs.

Pleased to have gotten some form of conversation out of the cumbersome witch Jongin spares a wolfish grin. “Nice to meet you, Baekhyun”

An unpleasant squeal from onstage suddenly catches the entire room’s attention, the host of the event, Count, taps and blows on his microphone, the device squeals again before the Count decides it’s best to just go without it. “Sorry everyone for halting the night’s events I just have an announcement to make which requires all of your attention” The ambiguity of his words causes confused chatter to bubble through the crowd.

“As some of you may know this year marks the 100th Transylvanian Spooktacular, so as a tribute to this particularly special year I am going to announce a competition between the guests”

Oh no, Baekhyun sighs expecting what’s to come.

“Now I would like everyone to pair up, preferably with someone not of your own beastly kind, in these pairs you’ve chosen I will now explain the rules of this competition. Around the venue there have been placed many wooden bats, these wooden bats work at points for your team, collect the most wooden bats before midnight and your team will be crowned victorious and will receive a prize”

Baekhyun watches how the guests erupt in excitement, eager to participate but to Baekhyun the Count couldn’t have announced anything worse.

“That is all, you will hear a loud chime once the clock strikes midnight, this means everyone is required to return to this hall, thank you and good luck teams!”

“Well time for me to leave-“

“Hey Baekhyun!” Baekhyun had almost forgotten about Jongin until he eagerly faces the young witch, wolfish expression full of vigor. “Let’s be partners”

Baekhyun’s initial thought is ‘no way’, coupled with the urge to bolt from his seat and return home. But the genuine trepidation in Jongin’s eyes causes Baekhyun to hesitate. Dropping his gaze as to prevent himself from feeling guilty he politely declines Jongin’s request. “No thanks”

But it seems Jongin doesn’t hear Baekhyun’s response keenly taking the witch by the wrist instructing him to stand up with one swift effortless pull. The boy wobbles on his toes not expecting Jongin’s forcefulness. “W-What are you doing?” Baekhyun stresses, lead forward by the intrusive pull of the werewolf.

“I remember seeing one of those wooden bats earlier, so let’s get to that one first” Jongin replies, sparing Baekhyun a seconds glance over his shoulder, his eyes possessing a playful gleam.

The werewolf u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter