[2] The Sun Comes Up

Dreamcatcher

"Today is the day!" Estelle shouted. She's even more excited than Luna.

She rolled her eyes and took her bag. She has packed everything she needs for the gathering.

Her mom drove her to the venue. It's a small retreat house in nearby province. The place looked cozy and relaxing.

She saw her schoolmates, who are also participants, and faked a smile. She needed to overcome this day, no, this night, so she can survive and get away with it. Well, she wanted to enjoy this day, but she knew can't because of her situation. She had to control her sleep or else she would let loose.

After a few minutes of small talks, the facilitator finally began the program.

The first activity was a speed date game. They're given one minute to talk to the person in front of them, then move to the next when the time runs out. This is where Luna's mind-reading skills function. She can read people who are genuine, and some those who are fake. She seemed interested.

"Hi, my name is Luna." by the moment she shook hands with the person in front of her, she could already see how this person viewed her. She got the names of the people whom she saw as real people, and ignored the fake ones.

Then this man came, he looked cold, and disinterested with what he's doing.

They shook hands, his hand was warm, however, instead of seeing who he is, she saw darkness. She did not let go of his hand after that moment. "Why?" she asked herself, still confused. This is the first time.

"Can I take my hand back?" he said.

"Huh? Yeah, of course." and the she let go. She can feel her head aching, overthinking.

No one talked for a few seconds.They just stared at each other.

"You're weird." he said, breaking the silence.

"You are, too." she said. He was weird, at least for her.

The bell rang before even getting his name. He was both real and fake.

"Luna..." she said. "My name..." then off he went to the next table.

She felt dizzy after. She took a deep sigh and tightly closed her eyes. She felt her heart race then everything went black.

----

The next time she knew, she's lying on a bed with one of her schoolmates.

"What happened?" she asked, still feeling a bit dizzy.

"You fainted." Polo, a senior from her school, said. "Tired, maybe."

"Maybe tired." she confirmed. "You can go back to the activity. I can manage."

"The activity? You mean the speed date? It's done hours ago. We're actually gonna have the last later after dinner." he exclaimed.

"I've been sleeping for hours?" thank God it's not yet night.

"Yeah... so let's go and go get some dinner."

---

She went to the dining area with her senior and everyone was concerned about her.

"You okay?" "Here are some food! Go green and be healthy!" "You should get more sleep."

"I'm fine guys. Thanks for worrying." She assured them.

She sat down and helped herself with the food. Not from afar, she saw him, laughing with his friends. She looked at him. And, coincidentally, he looked back. She took her gaze away and started eating. She took one more glance at him, still trying to figure out what's really happening.

---

The next activity was scavenger hunt. In some parts of the forest, there were hidden flags that each of the team shall collect. She wasn't excited because she knew she wasn't athletic at all. Polo came out with a plan that they should go by pairs. Unfortunately, she was paired with one of the most fake persons she has met in her life so she didn't bother. She accepted that they will lose this game.

Not even ten minutes has passed, Luna's partner left her. She said she can manage to get the flags on her own, so she can just stay in one place and she can wait for her. She even pretended to be concerned. She didn't know, Luna already knew her plans of making herself the reason why they would get many flags.

Off she went, and Luna just galivant around the place.

She saw a flag and when she was reaching it from a tree, she fell to slope and landed in a hole. She got the flag, but she didn't know how to help herself up.

She shouted help and no one heard. She felt her ankle getting numb and checked if something was wrong. She found a bruise, that's when she started to feel pain. Time passed, she was still there.

I couldn't spend a night in here. I shouldn't sleep. I should stay awake all night. No, I will get out of here. Please, someone, help me.