She was hers to keep

160504

 

 

Chungha stood in the rain.

 

Pale complexion, red lips.

 

Her molten-brown eyes sent a gaze that tickled under her skin and all Sejeong could think about was how the girl would feel in her arms; soft skin pressed against her own, fingers caught in the lustrous tresses of hair billowing down the latter’s back.

 

The rain had seeped into Chungha’s dark hair and the wet locks shone like satin under the orange glow of the streetlamp. The girl’s lips—dipped in a cherry shade—was curled on its ends, sending a small smile her way.

 

It was shy and yet full of expectation.

 

And something about the sight tugged Sejeong onward.

 

Her feet naturally stepped in tune with the way her heart thumped against her chest, each footfall rippling through her body. Soon it became the only thing she could hear. The occasional hum of midnight traffic had faded away, slipped through the cracks of an imaginary and concentrated quietude in her mind.

 

Sejeong skipped along the pavement and then came to a stop, their feet inches apart. Naturally she swung her hands forward, reaching out to wrap the girl’s cold fingers in her warm palms.

 

“You’ll catch a cold,” she muttered under her breath, panting slightly, her eyes fixated on their intertwined fingers. There was a tinge of worry and regret in her voice.

 

She should’ve brought an umbrella.

 

Chungha hummed in response, her voice buzzing softly against . Then the girl reached out and ran her fingers through Sejeong’s hair, carefully fixing the messy strands.

 

“I like the rain and I won’t catch one—“

 

There it was—those lovely honey-coated words—Sejeong felt her breath hitch.

 

“—since you’re here with me now.”

 

She gave a slight jerk, raising her head in surprise to meet Chungha’s eyes as pink coloured her cheeks. The latter smiled again, this time out of amusement. Then she stepped away from the light and guided Sejeong along the pavement.

 

They turned down the familiar street, twin white sneakers (couple shoes) tapping around puddles, walking past shops which had their blinds pulled down and doors locked for the day.

 

It should’ve been uncomfortable to be walking outside at two in the morning. It should’ve been uncomfortable to be drenched in darkness and not being able to see where she was stepping clearly. And it should’ve been uncomfortable to feel the rain seeping into her shoes, turning her socks soggy.

 

But none of it mattered in that moment—not when she had Chungha’s hand in hers and not when they were in their own little bubble, away from the rest of the world.

 

“That’s my job.” Sejeong pointed out, frowning slightly as she tugged at the girl’s fingers.

 

“What is?”

 

“Being cheesy—saying stuff like that…” she continued, brushing aside her embarrassment as she hastily plastered on a smirk.

 

“You’re not allowed to say things like that.”

 

“Oh?” Chungha arched a brow, pausing in her steps. Sejeong’s gaze slipped past the former’s shoulder and she realised that they had reached already; it was a fortunate thing that Sejeong’s apartment was only a couple of blocks away from the girl’s dance practice studio.

 

It was a tall building donning walls of glass panes; a rather modern look.

 

“Yeah, that’s supposed to be my job.” She repeated as she released a hand and dug it into the right pocket of her jean shorts. Sejeong took out a ring of silver keys and walked ahead, climbing up the short flight of steps. Then she turned to look at Chungha, gesturing for the latter to follow.

 

As they waited for the elevator, Sejeong spent the time shaking the water out of her shoes. Likewise Chungha followed, laughing as she did so, and they ended up doing some weird quirky feet dance at the lobby.

 

“I think…” the girl started as they entered the lift, deciding to bring up the topic again. She held a finger up in defence. “…I have the right to be as cheesy as I want.”

 

Sejeong made a face in response.

 

“No—“

 

“—why not?” Chungha replied quickly, a sparkle dancing in her eyes. “Give me three good reasons why.”

 

The lift came to a stop—floor 26—and they stepped out, making their way towards Sejeong’s apartment door. Sejeong slipped the key into the keyhole, brows furrowed in thought. It didn’t help that her hands were trembling slightly from the cold.

 

It took her a moment but eventually she managed to unlock the door and the girls entered the flat, revelling in the warmness and familiarity of the Sejeong’s humble abode.

 

“One, you’re staying at my apartment.”

 

“You mean, this soon-to-be our apartment?”

 

Sejeong waved a hand about.

 

“Yes but right now, it’s still my house.” She stuck out her tongue at Chungha, a victorious grin dangling on her lips as she stepped out of her wet shoes. Chungha narrowed her eyes for a moment, then relented.

 

“Okay. Two more.”

 

Sejeong placed a finger on her chin, thinking.

 

“Two, I pick you up from work every day—“

 

Chungha immediately held a hand out, signalling the girl to stop. Then she shook her head and dropped into the couch, puffing out her cheeks.

 

“Well I drive you to work every morning. And technically, the dance studio’s only down the street. I would’ve been walking back here myself every day if you hadn’t insisted on keeping me company.”

 

“Chungha, it’s really late—I can’t have you walking back here alone. God knows who will prey after you next.” Sejeong said with a pout as she made her way to the couch, her arms crossed over her chest in irritation as the memory of a group of boys following her girlfriend home reeled into her mind.

 

Chungha hopped a seat over, making space for the girl. The sound of the rain tapping against the window panes was calming and Sejeong leaned into Chungha’s embrace, the warmth erasing the frown off her face.

 

“I know…thank you.” Chungha pecked her forehead lightly, soothing the girl’s furrowed brows.

 

“Okay one more.”

 

“Three, I have sweet potato snacks in my fridge and I’m going to give them to you if you let this count as a good reason,” Sejeong extended a hand and pointed towards the kitchen, a playful grin replacing the initial frown.

 

Chungha stood up from her spot in faux-indignation.

 

“Now that’s not fair, you can’t bribe me with food!”

 

But Sejeong only giggled, allowing herself to fall onto the couch, her bangs messy again and brown locks of hair splayed out across the beige cushions. She threw her hands in the air cheekily, celebrating her early victory.

 

“Yah—“ Chungha pounced on the girl and tickled her sides, which elicited more laughter. And Sejeong squirmed under the former’s weight, trying to escape as she babbled rushed apologies. But the hamster was firm in her grip and so she managed to hold Sejeong down, trapping the girl between her legs to prevent her escape. 

 

A pause ensued.

 

Then it was broken by the sound of more muffled giggles; their hands were cupped over their lips. Sejeong drank in the sight of Chungha bent over in laughter, the latter’s dark (and still slightly damp) hair falling upon her like curtains. She caught onto the scent of the girl’s vanilla-scented shampoo and took delight in the familiarity of it all.

 

Happiness warmed her insides the way a mug of hot chocolate would.

 

“So is reason number three accepted?”

 

She shifted her weight slightly, allowing Chungha to slot herself into the tiny space between the head of the couch and her body.

 

“No.”

 

Sejeong turned her head around and they caught onto each other’s gazes, locking eyes together in an open stare. And she found herself mesmerised by the twin brown irises—speckled with the reflection of the moonlight—and Sejeong leaned in, resting her forehead against the latter’s.

 

“Why not?” She said under batted breath, unable to look away.

 

“I’m older than you,” Chungha giggled as she cupped Sejeong’s cheek with a hand, brushing across warm skin with a finger.

 

“Playing the unnie card now?”

 

Chungha nodded her head in response, her eyes pooling affection as she dragged her finger down to the girl’s lips, touching gently. And that was all it took for the words to disappear—slide back down and melt back into warmth in her stomach. Her mind drew a blank and in that moment, the only thing that captured Sejeong’s attention was the sight of Chungha’s red lips—

 

Her eyes fluttered closed.

 

—and how they would feel against her own.

 

Sejeong mumbled something about how she’s always so beautiful (she couldn’t recall properly for her mind had turned to slush), dropping the compliments in between kisses. And her heart swelled when their noses brushed against each other lightly, overflowing with endearment and love for this beautiful girl wrapped in her arms.

 

Until today, she couldn’t believe that Chungha was hers.

 

Chungha was hers, and Sejeong was hers to keep.

 

The kiss was gentle, soft and warm all at once. A moment of enjoyment, appreciating the way their lips felt against one another—so soft—and revelling in quietude, both girls trapped in their own bubble with the music of their words, far away from the world, away from the noise and the traffic.

 

Sejeong wouldn’t trade it for anything else in the world.

 

“Three—“ she broke the kiss, abruptly placing a finger on Chungha’s lips, in which the latter looked at her in surprise. A pink tint dusted itself across both of their cheeks, colouring the skin into equal shades of blush.

 

The girl leaned back reluctantly, waiting for Sejeong to continue.

 

“—I…”

 

A peck on Chungha’s cheek.

 

“…Love…”

 

Twin gentle kisses planted over her eyelids.

 

“…You.”

 

Lastly, a long kiss back on her lips.

 

Chungha shot her hand out and Sejeong rolled over, falling off the couch. The latter gave a groan when her elbow knocked into the corner of the coffee table, wincing in a mixture of pain and confusion.

 

“Chungha?”

 

Sejeong shot up from the floor when the girl hopped off the couch and paced towards the room. Then an amused smirk etched itself on her face and her expression glowed with triumph at the sight of a flustered and red Chungha running away from her. Sejeong almost bowed over with delight but instead she skipped over to the former’s side and wrapped her arms around the girl tightly.

 

“So does that count?” She whispered, unable to conceal the glee in her voice.

 

Chungha turned around and pinched the girl’s right cheek, still blushing. They backed against a wall slowly.

 

“God, that was so cheesy.” She knocked their foreheads together lightly and frowned before giving Sejeong’s lips another soft peck. The latter giggled in response and returned the kiss.

 

“Just—keep your job—whatever.”

 

And until now Sejeong still couldn’t believe that Chungha was hers.

 

Chungha was hers, and Sejeong was definitely and eternally—

 

hers to keep. 

 


 

AN: built on a drabble I had posted on twitter. thank you for reading~ 
(i cringed so much it's no joke) 

@rhk7130 I happened to be writing a fluffy sechung shot, so here you go!