Repositioned

Tears of the Sky

I was in my vocal class, feeling lower and lower into the ground due to my music skill that haven't improved even after 20 month of training. The teachers are starting to be angry with me and question why hasn't I being eliminated trough the monthly evaluation. a string of knocks are heard on the door. The door opened to reveal Kyunghee, one of the female trainee that is said to be included into the next debut project.

"Excuse me, miss, but I need to meet with Seungmin" All eyes landed on me, including the pair of the teacher's which then is not filled with anger, but rather confusion. I looked at Kyunghee, and she nodded. She turned to the vocal trainer before she could speak.

"It is the CEO's command" She smiled confidently. A buzz filled the room as the boys and girls whispered each other, and some even loudly expressed their thought.

"This girl? Don't tell me she'll debut anytime soon"

"Well, that would be a good April fool"

"It's not April yet, so is she going to be eliminated?"

As much as I want top burst out telling them to shut up, I stepped out and followed Kyunghee sunbae. When I asked her if she was telling the truth, she just smiled and told me to just confront the CEO confidently. She dropped me in front of the CEO's office and wished me luck, before running to her training. I let out a deep sigh at the thought of whatever situation that could arise when I stepped across the door frame.

***

 

"Do you want to see me, uncle?" I spoke as soon as I made sure that the door behind me was completely closed.

"Yes, yes. Please sit down" My uncle in his mid forties got up from the chair and gestured me to the coffee table.

No one knows that we are related. Our family names are the same, but, well, just how many Hans are there in South Korea? Similar to how not ALL Kims are a family (since half of the nation are Kims), not all Hans are related. He support my school fees, but he don't seem to plan to reveal his reasons for doing so, or the reason of him hiding the fact that we are relatives.

"I have no reason to tell you"

That was all that he said. 

I was snapped out of my bubble when my uncle cleared his throat.

"Seungmin, you have been here for almost 2 years, right?" Uncle started his speech, giving out the usual vibe he always had.

"Yes," I nodded, bowing slightly.

"You should know that I keep check on each and every member of the company" he continued, as his eyes sharply evaded mine.

"I'm aware of that" I muttered, discouraged, as I know where this discussion leads to. He must have heard the words.

"I expect to no longer hear that the girl I brought in is simply a talentless parachute." I knew it, the words travelled like wildfire.

"I'll try my best to make it happen" I said, with my eyes suddenly fixed into his eyes. One of the skills I've successfully learned here is that if you don't want to get stepped on, put on your best indifferent expression. Emotions hurts. Emotions kills.

"I'll look forward to it, but for now, you will be repositioned" My uncle smiled in satisfaction. He stood up and walked to his table. He pulled out a file from the pile on his table and handed it to me.

"Repositioned?" I asked as I flicked through the file. There are names and profiles of the trainees with the report on their progresses. I don't know if i should look at these. I kept on flicking until I reached my profile. There's a big, red mark across my profile on the bottom of the page. I looked at others trainees' profile again, and realised that the column was left blank. 

Surprise evaluation (20/1/20xx)

(A/N:It's the day after this scene) 

Result: REPOSITIONED

"Tomorrow, there'll be a surprise evaluation. Subaverage trainees will either be eliminated or repositioned into other teams. You already know the decision, but I hope you will give your best" The word struck me like a thunder. Eliminated or repositioned; why do he insist to keep me in this company? Even if he want to stop funding my studies, I'll accept it. That was what I had in my head.

Yah! Han Seungmin! Giving up? What about your sister? You would let her go just like that because you can't take a little hardship? Seungmin-ah! You're such a coward. Han Seungmin is a coward.

"Don't worry, I'll show what I have. But... Where would I be after this?" I said confidently,returning the file to its owner. The voices from my head snapped me out from my emotion. The tears which had started to sting my eyes in the threat of spilling somehow stayed at its place.

"I want you to be a background crew for the upcoming events" Uncle Sung Ho stated indifferently, just like I did. I looked at him without any words, waiting for his explaination. 

"Basically doing the odd jobs. When the rumors connecting us disappear, or if you can come up with a good piece, you'll be back as a trainee composer. I think that will be justified enough"

"Yes, it is. I'll do as you instruct." I ignored the cringe in my heart when I said those words. 

Until the rumors disappear, Seungmin. If you make a good piece, it will be over. Yes, it's just temporary. It will soon be over.

"The nearest event is CNBLUE fanmeeting, next week. Secretary Na will explain the details to you. If you don't have further question, you may be dismissed. Remember, do your best tomorrow"

"Thank you, uncle" I pushed myself up by the arm rests and nodded for the last time. All I need is to get away from this tensed up surrounding. It's breaking me down, and I don't know how long I can keep my composure.

"By the way Seungmin" I halted my steps at the call of my name.

"Please be careful from now on. Call me Mr CEO"

"Understood, Mr CEO" I twisted the knob and pulled it with the residual amount of my energy. The word is the cue to the breakdown of my entire self worth. I need to be out. Now.