I Miss You

I Miss You

               A couple was out in the park alone. There wasn’t a single person in the area except for them. Out on the chilly night, they sat side by side with their hands intertwined. One might say they’re a happy couple but amidst the exterior of the two, one is already having doubts while the other is cheating on his mind.

          “Hey Kyu! Our anniversary is next week. Do you want to do something? Any plans you can share with me?” the cute effeminate one asked but got no response from his lover. He turned to look at his lover but was disappointed when he saw him staring at the swing set. He wanted to ask him whatever’s wrong though he didn’t continue. His lover’s hand lost its grip which startled him and made him look down with wide eyes. He was about to say something but the couple’s laughter interrupted him. He ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

                The couple a few meters away from them is normal, unlike them. The effeminate one thinks they’re not normal due to the fact that they’re both males and they’re in an intimate relationship which is not so intimate now for some unknown reason.

                The girl sat on one of the swing while her boyfriend went behind her and gave her a light push. They were having a conversation and it is inaudible for the other couple’s ear. There were faint laughter and a whole lot of loving which made the effeminate one jealous while the taller one found it nostalgic.

                “Let’s go to that swing Kyuhyun. I’ll push you” the guy smaller than him said. He has a messy black hair and a protruded cheek bone. He’s not skinny; in fact he’s the bulkier of the two. Kyuhyun is taller but compared to his companion, he’s rather lanky.

                “But hyung, I’m taller than you. I should be the one pushing you instead” Kyuhyun whined then stomped his foot like a little kid.

                The smaller guy shook his head lightly with a smile playing on his lips. “I don’t care if you’re taller I’m still older than you. I have to be responsible for your well-being. Now sit so I can push you” he pushed Kyuhyun towards the seat and walked around the swing set.

                Reluctantly, the taller one took a seat and held the chains on either side of him. He looked back a little, impatient that his companion wasn’t pushing him yet. The latter laughed and lightly pushed him which made him smile goofily.

                Soon, there were chuckles and their faces wore bright smiles as the older continued to push the younger. Their only audience that night was the moon and the stars and they shone on them brightly as ever before.

                After their fun at the swing, they sat side by side above the monkey bars whilst staring at the sky to adore the heavenly bodies they could spot. There was a safe distance between them- a distance that could give any passerby an idea that nothing’s between them, that they’re just friends. What the both of them don’t realize, they already have feelings for each other- they just don’t admit it to themselves.

                “Sometimes, I wish I was a star” the older suddenly said which made Kyuhyun look at him without a word. The former turned to him too with a smile “So that if I’m not with you, I can look after you. If you miss me, you could just look up and say I miss you hyung”

                Kyuhyun’s face turned into a frown because he somehow understood the hidden message behind those words. “Don’t say that hyung. It’s like you’re saying goodbye” He held the older’s hand and gazed at his eyes lovingly. “Promise me you won’t leave me. Please hyung?”

                No answer came out of his companion’s mouth except for a sad smile.

                He snapped out of his musing when he felt someone shook him. He turned to his boyfriend with a smile full of love which made the effeminate one blush. “What is it Min? Are you cold?” He wrapped his arms around his boyfriend’s body and held him close to him, sharing his warmth.

                Sungmin hugged him closer- nuzzled his face to the crook of his lover’s neck. “I love you Kyu. I really do” he whispered.

                Kyuhyun chuckled lightly “I know Min. I love you too”

                Sungmin pulled away “I need to go somewhere first Kyu. Will you be alright here by yourself?” he asked worriedly.

                “Min, I’m a grown up man. You shouldn’t worry yourself about me. Go now. You must be going somewhere important or do you want me to tag along?” Kyuhyun asked then pecked his cheeks. Sungmin shook his head then walked away, leaving Kyuhyun alone in the nostalgic place.

                After a few minutes, he pulled out a picture from his wallet and smiled at it. “Hyung, remember this place? Nostalgic isn’t it? I’ve been coming back here for 5 years and it seems I miss you too much. When are you coming back hyung?” Kyuhyun looked up to the sky and let a tear fall from his eye. Little did he know, his lover was watching him from a fair distance and heard everything he said.

~

                “Min! Happy Anniversary!” He greeted and gave his lover a peck on the lips then took a sit opposite him. They were inside a first class restaurant, where they spent their first monthsary. Kyuhyun loved to spend money on Sungmin though they’re both practically rich. Sungmin’s an exemplary head chef in a 5-star restaurant while Kyuhyun is a CEO of a company.

                Sungmin’s face was void of any expression- his gaze somewhere not on his lover’s face and it made the latter confused. The taller one held his hand and gave him the gift he bought a month ago. “My anniversary gift for you Min” He said with a smile so sensual, so loving it broke the effeminate one’s heart.

                “Min what’s wrong? Are you feeling unwell?”

                Sungmin shook his head and gazed at his lover with eyes full of sadness. “Kyu, you know I love you right? Do you love me too?”

                “Of course I do Min. I always tell you that right? Why are you having doubts?” Kyuhyun asked in confusion. For Sungmin, it was as if they were left alone inside the spacious dining hall, without a single sound except for his erratic heartbeat.

                A tear escaped from his eyes as he tried to muster up the courage to say all he needed to say. “Min, what’s wrong?” Kyuhyun asked worriedly. He tried to wipe away the tear from his face but his lover moved away.

                “Kyuhyun, please answer me honestly. Are you in love with someone else?” Sungmin asked which took Kyuhyun aback. A minute passed with nothing but silence from the couple. The latter averted his eyes from the former.

                “I was and I still do” he whispered but it reached Sungmin’s ear. The latter felt his heart shatter into a million pieces and his tears fell endlessly from his eyes. Kyuhyun looked at him apologetically.

                “Why? Why did you accept my feelings when you knew you’re still in love with someone else? Did you really love me Kyuhyun?”

                “I thought I could forget about him but I was wrong. I’m sorry. But I really did love you Min, I really do. Please believe me. I never intended to play with your feelings because I love you so much” Kyuhyun confessed, tears threatening to fall.

                Sungmin flashed a sad smile. “I know you love me, I can feel it but you love him more- much more than you’ll ever love me, right?” To that Kyuhyun couldn’t answer. It was true that he loved him more than he’ll ever love Sungmin but he couldn’t say that out loud. It would break his heart more than it already was.

                “Today marks our first year anniversary- the day you accepted my feelings for you. Thank you for everything- the gifts, the memories. Thank you for loving me at least though you’ve never truly gave me your heart. Thank you for the one year you’ve spent with me but I think it’s time for me to let you go”

                “Sungmin-“

                He raised his palm up to cut his lover off. “Let me finish Kyuhyun” he breathed deeply and wiped away his tears.  “You have to go to the person who’ll make you happy. Today also marks our break up. You’re free now Kyuhyun. Please remember that I love you” Sungmin stood up and was about to leave but Kyuhyun stopped him.

                “I’m sorry Sungmin. I… I really am sorry”

                Sungmin smiled sadly and gave Kyuhyun one last hug. “I hope I can find the courage to face you again. When that day comes, you have to tell me everything that’s happened after this. Promise?”

                “I promise”

                They let go of each other and Sungmin left without another word. It’s surprising that no one came to take their order because that would’ve been so random. He left after a moment of pondering about the waiters and his break up with Sungmin.

                His feet dragged him to the swing set where he spent his last night with him. This place really is nostalgic. It has a lot of memories he shared with him. Somehow, being in this place makes him forget about his break up earlier. He looked at his watch- 30 minutes before midnight. How long was he walking anyway? Last time he checked it was 8:30 and that was before he got to Sungmin.

                “You’re leaving? Y-You’re leaving me? But you promised me you won’t leave me! You promised!” Kyuhyun sobbed, wailed even but he didn’t care. There wasn’t anyone around anyway.

                The older caressed his cheek and placed his palm against it. The taller held his wrist and leaned onto the hand to feel more of its warmth. “Yes I’m leaving Kyuhyun and I don’t know for how long I’ll be gone. I won’t ask you to wait for me so you can go find you’re happiness”

                “But you’re my happiness hyung and you know that”

                He tiptoed closer to the taller and brushed his lips against his. “You’re mine as well Kyu but I have to go even though I don’t want to. I want to be with you but I can’t. I’m sorry Kyuhyun” He gave the taller one last hug.

                He looked up the sky and smiled again. So nostalgic, really. He was having a relaxing time recollecting every memory he had with his first love when suddenly someone hugged me from behind which made him jump but he was kept in place by the strong arms of the stranger. He wanted to scream but felt the need not to. The warmth of this person, the arms holding him in place is familiar, very familiar.

                “Did you miss me Kyuhyun?” That voice was so familiar he couldn’t believe he still knew who it belongs to. It’s been 5 years since he last heard that voice and he surely missed it. That deep husky voice that he came to love before and love more now.

                He slowly turned while the arms loosened its hold. There he was- the person he loved even more than he loved Sungmin. The person he’s been waiting for the past 5 years.

                He cupped his face with both his hands and squished his cheeks which earned a whimper from the older. “Jongwoon” Kyuhyun whispered. He trailed his fingers on his face, still couldn’t believe he’s here. He trailed his fingers to his beautiful single-lidded eyes, to his pointed nose, to those luscious lips that he once brushed his, those ears that held 2 earrings each. His hand travelled down to the other’s hands- those small hands that he missed holding. He brushed his lips to the back of his hand and placed them on his cheek.

                “Jongwoon” Kyuhyun muttered under his breath. “You’re here. You’re finally here”

                “Yeah. I’m back. I’m back for good Kyu” he leaned closer to the man seating beneath him and gave him a kiss, a kiss of longing, a kiss full of love. “I won’t leave again”

                “I won’t allow you anyway”

              Jongwoon chuckled. He stared at the younger man and admired him. “You look even more handsome now that you’ve grown Kyuhyun. I can’t believe I missed 5 years of your life”

                “Stop flirting and just kiss me damn it” he pulled the older closer to him and kissed him. Jongwoon chuckled on the kiss which made Kyuhyun pull away and hit him lightly on the chest. “Impatient as always Kyuhyun but you forgot something” The older said and the younger smiled.

                “How could I forget? Happy birthday Jongwoon and welcome home” he shared a passionate kiss under the moonlight and on the swing set where they made a lot of memories which will soon be multiplied now that he’s back.