Part 1

Backwards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

How much of an effort Doyoung made to finally date the love of his life, Moon Taeil. Doyoung spotted Taeil in high school and followed him all the way to university, of course one year later. Doyoung worked so hard to get recognized by the other. At first Taeil thought Doyoung just looked up at him as a senior but it wasn't the case. After Taeil graduated it was hard to find a flat to stay that he could afford and Doyoung offered his room. They've shared the same room until Doyoung graduated and moved together in a flat after that. They took a flat that had two bedrooms which were linked by a room that became both living room and kitchen. 

After moving in the same flat Doyoung didn't give up, he's waited for Taeil to grow fond of him and finally accept him. Taeil is always cold, unlike Doyoung who is clingy and always craving for attention. But he respects Taeil's conditions over their relationship. They meet in the shared space but keep their rooms as they initially were. Doyoung is sad for not getting to share a bedroom with his boyfriend but he's giving in because being with Taeil is much more important.

"The boys are coming over tonight, Johnny and Taeyong, wanna join?" Taeil asks Doyoung, stretching his hand to make him come closer. "I will help you with the food, I am working tomorrow and I have a big appointment with my boss." Doyoung sticks himself to Taeil's body. "It's fine, we'll order pizza, you can rest." Taeil makes Doyoung lean to kiss him on the forehead. “If they stay late again, come sleep with me, one can take the couch and one can take your bed," he heads towards his room and opens the door "your bed is smaller anyway.” He winks to his boyfriend before closing the door.

Doyoung doesn't remember what hour the boys arrived nor if they have left. Taeil did not came to his room so he supposes the others left. He takes his clothes and heads towards the shower, baths and gets ready to leave. He never makes coffee in the house in the mornings Taeil sleeps so that he won't wake the other up. 

He steps in the living room and to his surprise Johnny and Taeyong sleep on their tiny couch. "Johnny will cry rivers from back pain" he mutters to himself. He can't deny that he is mad at Taeil for not coming to sleep with him, inside his heart he always waits for opportunities like this because without them the other barely steps in his room. He doesn't stay not even after they make out, but Doyoung tries to relieve the gloomy face thinking that maybe Taeil wanted him to rest for his appointment today.

Doyoung rests on the couch changing the programs, but it's more of a twitch than not finding anything to watch. "Doyoung, can you switch the TV off if you don't plan watching anything?" Taeil tilts his head from his room "It's riling, was everything ok today?" Doyoung exhales and turns around to the other "The boys slept here but you didn't come to my room." He pouts turning the TV off. Taeil drops his head chuckling then approaches Doyoung. He sits on the couch and extends his hand to caress Doyoung's face "You're such a child!" Doyoung is about to cry but he bits the inside of his cheeks to not let his tears fall. They've been here before and he knows how much Taeil can't stand him crying. He finds it troublesome because he says he really can't find ways to enliven the other. “I’m sorry tiny, but they already fell asleep here so I thought it wouldn't make any sense to bother you." Taeil continues dragging Doyoung into a hug. "Then stay with me tonight!" He says kissing the other on the neck. Taeil accepts to sleep with the other, but only after Doyoung literarily beggs the entire evening. 

The next morning he wakes up, there is no trace of Taeil into his room, as if he was never there. They made out last night and as Taeil's custom he took a shower after, but Doyoung can't remember whether he came back after it or not. Doyoung can't help himself but think that maybe he has a problem, that maybe other couples do this too. He wants to ask Taeil why is he never there in the morning, but maybe should start to get used to it. Doyoung only dreams of how would a lazy morning feel next to Taeil, how would it be to cuddle on a rainy day, all day long. To hold each other for five more minutes, each weekly morning after the alarm clock rings. 

"You know what weekend comes, right?" Taeil asks and Doyoung tries his best not to let the sadness surface "You're visiting your parents," he says sitting at the table. "Yes, I am coming back Sunday night, don't wait for me awake, I am not sure when I'll be back home." Taeil says pouring a cup of coffee, "So you haven't told them yet." Doyoung muttered but more to himself . "Did you say something?" Taeil turns towards the other "No, I was- I was talking to myself."

After Taeil came back from his parents he started be a bit different, he pays more attention to Doyoung. When Doyoung enters the bathroom, Taeil follows "Hey, what's with you, you never shower with me." Doyoung can't hide his excitement. "I guess everything has a start." Taeil says stepping into the shower next to Doyoung. They bathe and when they finish Doyoung is expecting Taeil to go to his room, but instead he follows Doyoung into his room. "Are you sleeping here?" Doyoung asks "Yes, you don't want me to?" Taeil turns around to leave "No, no, no, I can totally get used to this!" Doyoung grabs the other’s waist hugging him from behind beaming. 

The size of the bedrooms is the same, but Taeil choose a smaller bed to leave some space for his desk, while Doyoung opted for a spacious bed that occupies more than half of the room. Of course when he bought the bed, he hoped to convince the other to share it, and choose a large enough one so that the other won't feel cramped.

To fall asleep into Taeil's arms was just perfect for Doyoung, to feel his presence next to his, even though he knows that later in the night the other will be in the mood for more than just sleeping, he can totally get used to this. Since Taeil has been so different these days Doyoung expects to wake up next to him the next morning and the next one and so on. 

Part of him is telling him that Taeil does all this out of guilt for not telling his parents about Doyoung. It is important for Doyoung to have Taeil's parents acknowledge him, or at least to be aware of his existence. He's told his parents about Taeil from before going to college, the reason he is mostly living like this now. Not that his parents didn't accept Taeil, they want Doyoung to be happy and decide for himself, but they know the neighbors would talk garbage about their son, and they don't want Doyoung to suffer. 

The next morning he wakes up there is a fuss in his apartment, he wakes up dizzy and finds Johnny and Taeyong in the living room. He tries to catch on their discussion, he looks towards Taeil's room and he sees the door open. He figures the other is not sleeping, but something is strangely off. Taeyong and Johnny never show up so early in the morning, and mostly not with those faces, has Taeyong even realized that he wears two different types of shoes. 

"Doyoung...." Doyoung is watching Johnny his lips move but he can't hear a word he says, he's head is spinning, and a sudden nausea feeling hits him and runs towards the bathroom. "We can't leave him alone, Johnny, ‘the is this thinking" Doyoung can hear Taeyong speaking and he knows now. 

Taeil left. 

He leaves the bathroom and storms up into Taeil's room, now empty. "Why? Where did he go?" He falls on his knees, legs jelly "Why, Taeyong? Why, Johnny?” He can't help but let tears fall down his cheeks. He spreads on the floor, there's nothing left in Taeil's room, not even a dusty empty box under his bed. 

Johnny tries to calm him down, he carries him on his arms to the couch and Taeyong makes a tea for him. He looks numb, he cried for more than 3 hours now, he has no tears left, but no tear no cry could describe the feeling he has inside. Heart shuttered into millions of pieces, his soul torn apart, every bone in his body, every muscle, every slash of meat on his body hurts and the other boys don't dare to touch him too afraid he'll literarily shatter like glass in front of them. "Doyoung, I will stay here tonight, and tomorrow Taeyong will be with you, better take a few days off from work, I don't think it's a good idea to leave the house like this." Johnny pats Doyoung which fixed his look into a point in the space. He's spaced out but he doesn't think of anything. He can't think. 

The nausea hits him again and this time he throws up in the toilet. Throw up is much said because he didn't eat anything. Johnny and Taeyong are with him the entire day, at night they do shifts, once Johnny once Taeyong. Johnny and Taeyong are actually Taeil's friends, Doyoung didn't had too many friends from high school or university, he only cared about Taeil and along Taeil, he accepted the other's friends as his own. The only friend Doyoung has from university is Ten, Chittaphon on his name, a transferee from Thailand that is currently living in Japan.

He doesn't eat much, and all he eats he throws it up. He doesn't sleep, the boys sleep next to him, but he can't take someone else's scent besides his, besides Taeil's. He hugs his knees to his chest and cries himself asleep, then he wakes up again and cries again. But he can't keep up like this anymore, he's been off work for a week, at this rate they might fire him. "Are you sure, look, I can help you with money for a while-" Johnny offers. Between the two, Doyoung is closer to Johnny, they helped each other million times. Johnny owes him, but Doyoung is not the person to live on others’ back. 

"I will be fine, I need to work, I need to get out of this house and keep myself distracted," he says "on the other hand I don't know if I can keep up with the rental fee, this apartment is quite expensive for me, alone." Doyoung says sipping from a tea cup. 

"About this, if you would like to consider a new roommate, someone who is just like you." Taeyong says pouring more tea into Doyoung's cup "What do you mean?" He looks into Taeyong's eyes "You probably don't know him, he is a junior from our school, he recently broke up with his girlfriend and he's all a mess-" Taeyong tries his best to select the right words. "Oh like that." Doyoung cuts in. "He is looking for a place to stay." Taeyong continues scratching the back of his head. "Tell him to come as soon as he wants, we'll discuss the fee afterwards, I guess he's still as student, isn't he living in a dorm?" Doyoung asks before out spacing again. 

When he comes back from the job he finds someone resting his back on the door of his apartment.  A pretty, tall guy, with chestnut hair, his clothes are cool and he doesn't look like someone who is suffering in Doyoung's eyes. "Are you Kim Dongyoung?" The tall boy asks and Doyoung nods pulling out his keys “Doyoung.” He corrects. "I am Jaehyun, please accept me as your roommate." He says extending his hand for Doyoung to shake. 

"You haven't even seen the house yet." Doyoung lets out a smile, "Aah don't need to, I trust Johnny hyung and Taeyong hyung's friend." Jaehyun says firmly. Doyoung shows him the house including his bedroom, Jaehyun is amazed by the size of the other's bed. 

They establish for Jaehyun to move in the next day, he helps Jaehyun put his things in place. "Cooking, we do it together, cleaning in the shared space as well, I don't mind the showering order." Doyoung marks some things on his agenda, Jaehyun complies. 

At first when Doyoung saw Jaehyun it didn't seem to him that he was very affected of his past relationship, but now that the other is closer to him he can see the size of his dark circles, and they are no joke. Jaehyun also spaces out a lot and even if Doyoung is repeating countless times the other will end up zoning out again. 

"Do you want to eat anything? I'm at the grocery store." Jaehyun calls Doyoung, and the latter realizes that none of them ate these days and the fridge is empty, but more than that he is surprised as this is the very first time someone calls him to ask him what he wants to eat. “Just anything you want it will be fine with me, I’ll help with cleaning the dishes in case you cook before I get home.” Doyoung says to the other "Hyung, can we try lasagna?" Jaehyun says, his voice sounding cracking. 

Doyoung comes home finding Jaehyun sleeping on the couch, he remembers the dark circles around his eyes and eats as silently as he can not to wake the other up. "Hyung, you should've wake me up." Jaehyun opens his eyes and lifts himself up to join Doyoung who is still eating. He loses a bit his balance before reaching the table chair to sit on. Doyoung frowns a bit. “You don’t like it?” Jaehyun innocently asks “No, it’s really good, really tasty, you’re pretty good at this.” Doyoung compliments giving his thumb up and Jaehyun slides a wide grin “Eat well hyung!”

Even though Jaehyun cooked he helped Doyoung clean up saying the other should be really tired from work, then he goes to take a shower while Doyoung is fitting the groceries Jaehyun bought where they belong. 

After Doyoung showers he goes to switch off the lights in the living room but the kid is sleeping there again. "Jaehyun, why don't you go to your room?" Doyoung moves towards the switch. "Hyung, can you let the lights on, please, just this time." Doyoung jolts as Jaehyun grabs his shirt. He lets the other sleep there.


One day he receives a call from Jaehyun, "Hyung let's walk home together, I'm around your workplace." He tells Doyoung and the latter finishes his work faster and complies with Jaehyun's request. They walk down the road, and Jaehyun has a bad balance but he doesn't smell of alcohol. Doyoung remembers how the other doesn't sleep in his room, sometimes he even finds him in his room, and how he lost his balance when he wanted to sit down at the table. 

"Jaehyun, the university is in the other side of the city, for how long have you skipped school now?" Doyoung breaks the other's thoughts. Jaehyun swallows a thick gulp in his throat "Since I broke up with her..." Jaehyun gets dizzy and this time loses balance propping on Doyoung. "Is she from the same school?" He asks helping the other walk. Doyoung proposes to take a taxi but Jaehyun insists on walking and he can't help but ditch the other into a restaurant "Let's eat for now, it will take a while until we get home." 


It's 4 in the morning and there's a fuss in the house, Doyoung wakes up and sees Jaehyun looking for something "Oh, hyung I woke you up, sorry!" Jaehyun smells a bit of alcohol. "My head bursts, I tried to drink a bear but it didn't help, is there any painkiller around?" There are pills, Taeil's, the only thing that he left in the house. Taeil always had this weak endurance to pain and he always kept around strong painkillers. 

"There is but I don't think it's a good idea to take one after you drank alcohol." He doesn't know what drives him, but he lulls the other to sleep. Doyoung almost forgets about his pain when he sees the other. Maybe because Jaehyun is younger and experiencing the same thing as him makes him want to protect the other. Jaehyun's forehead is warmer than it should, but Doyoung is too exhausted to look for anything, not mentioning that he can't give any medicine to the other because he drank and he doesn't know if it was only one beer. 

Doyoung wakes up and there’s Jaehyun staring at him, he looks around and realizes he just fell asleep next to the younger boy while putting him to sleep. He stands up quickly patting for his phone but Jaehyun drags him back “It’s Saturday, you’re off today so please sleep more.” Doyoung widens his eyes but then he lets himself sleep again, next to Jaehyun. He is tired as well, and since it is weekend he can’t refrain himself from oversleeping. 

"You know hyung, I can’t get used to that room just yet, I am really grateful that you don't scold me." Jaehyun starts after they woke up for good this time. Doyoung doesn't have a problem with where is Jaehyun sleeping, neither with the fact that he sleeps with both lights and TV on. 

He got used with Jaehyun's presence, but he can't keep living here, as much as he wouldn't like to admit it, it's not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter