Cake

Cake

I am a junior student and a member of the archery club. I just recently won my last competition for my High school career.

“I don’t want to join this club anymore once you retire Amber,” said by a second year and a member of the archery club.

Well, I am a little popular.

While receiving some flowers and whatnot as a congratulatory gift, I heard someone say:

“I wonder what kind of girl she will date again.”

I don’t play with someone’s feelings; I simply like having someone admiring me. I like being liked so I go out with them.

That was the moment I saw her and she took my breath away from me. My eyes automatically followed her and I saw her enter the school building.

I excused myself and followed her. I found her at the Guidance Office.

“You are Krystal Jung, the transferee right? Wait here and I will just call your homeroom teacher. For a while please braid your hair since it is a school rule.” I overheard.

She just nodded and went to a nearby comfort room.

“Need help?” I saw that she was struggling with her hair so I offered.

“I’m Amber Liu, a junior,” I introduced myself.

“I’m Krystal Jung, same grade,” she replied.

“No, I mean I’m from High school,” I corrected her because based on her uniform she is a middle school student.            

While braiding her hair, I can’t help but be nosy so I asked her if her father transferred work since that’s the usual reason.

“No father,” she shortly answered.

I immediately apologized. I told her that her hair is already properly braided and wished her to enjoy school.

“Thank you. Glad that you’re the first student that I met here,” she said with a small smile. She waved goodbye right after.

That small smile is definitely dangerous. It made my heart beat like there’s no tomorrow.

 

The next day, I saw her on the way to school with a horrible braid. I approached her and offered to fix her braid which she didn’t refuse.

“Why didn’t you just ask your mom to braid your hair?” I asked.

“She’s too busy,” she mumbled.

After that, I offered to braid her hair for her here in this bench which she agreed to, with a smile to boot!

 

So every morning, we see each other to braid her hair.

 

“Hey Amber, there are rumors that you’ve been going out with that middle schooler,” A friend of mine asked me in the hallway.

“…It’s one-sided, I think she’s not interested to me,” I sadly muttered.

My friend gawked at me; I don’t understand why she would?

“I think this is the first time I saw you like this,” she said. What she meant? Don’t ask me, I don’t understand either. “Maybe, this is your first true love?”

When she asked that, I suddenly felt my blood rushed to my cheeks.

“Yup, it is,” she said while nodding.

 

While braiding her hair for her, she told me that her birthday is near. I asked her what gift would she like and she said that a cake will be good, a cake that I baked.

‘I don’t know how to bake,’ I thought. I offered her that I will buy cake at a cake shop but she just looked so disappointed.

We went to school afterwards.

 

I should make someone happy on her birthday so I decided to bake her cake. As an advance apology for possibly the most horrible cake she’ll ever taste, I brought a rose.

‘It’s rare for me to be early,’ we agreed to meet up at 4:00pm at the playground.

It’s already forty minutes after four and she’s still not here.  I waited until five but she’s still not here.

‘Maybe, she got into an accident? It’s rare for her to be late,’ and with that thought I stood up but a kid bump to me which resulted for the cake to fall on the floor.

“My bad,” the kid shouted but I couldn’t care about it, the cake is ruined!

I knelt and looked at the cake devastatingly, suddenly a hand touched mine.

“Did you bake this cake? I should’ve come out earlier,” Krystal said.

She noticed that I was confused that’s why she said, “I want to find out how long you’re going to wait for me.”

I smiled wryly at her, “It is fine, at least you’re here.”

Krystal smiled at me, that heart stopping smile.

She grabbed some of the cake and ate it. Even though the part that she is eating did not directly touch the ground, I tried to stop her and reasoned with her that it is dirty but she just continued eating.

“That is delicious, want some?” she offered a chocolate from the cake.

I suddenly had a surge of courage and kiss her.