On the List

On the List - Donghyun

“What are we doing here?” Your three year old son questioned as your fingers worked to unbuckle him from his car seat.

“We are going to get some yummy food” You explained to him, slipping your arms underneath his and lifting him up and out of the seat before placing him down on the pavement.

“Can we get cookies?” Chance, your son, rattled off another question looking up at you as you closed the car door and slid your hand into his small one.

“We will see” You hummed wondering if it was in the budget for your shopping trip.

The large automatic doors parted as Chance and you walked into the store. Stopping and grabbing a cart you lifted Chance up and placed him in the small seat and buckled him in. Placing your purse in the basket of the cart you began to push the cart through the second set of automatic doors and turned right to make your way around the store.

“Do you have the food list?” Chance questioned, stopping the cart you smiled and nodded.

“Why don’t you make us a list of things you would like” You rifled around in your purse before pulling out a pen and a small pad of paper before handing it to your son.

“Okay Mommy!” Chance answered with enthusiasm, “If you think of anything, I will add it to the list”

“Sounds good” You smiled and ruffled his hair as he began to tilt his head from side to side while he tried to think of food that sounded good to him. Looking around the store, he began to draw the items he wanted to buy as you walked around, pulling some items from the shelves and placing them in your cart. Letting Chance add the items in your cart to his list, he checked them off.

“What else do you have on your list?” You inquired as you were just about finished with the errand.

“I would need to get down and show you” Chance told you, holding the list close to his chest so that you couldn’t peek to what he had drawn.

“Okay, but you have to stay close to me and not run off” You told him, slowing the cart to a stop before unbuckling him and lifting him up and out of the small seat in the cart.

Placing him on the ground, his small sneakers hit the floor as you pulled down his striped shirt with his cute black jeans hugging his legs.

“Where to first?” You questioned as he moved to the front of the cart and lead the way, looking around for the items that correlated to his list between his small hands.

“Where are the banana’s?” He questioned peering back at you, guiding him to where the produce was, he looked around and found the banana’s.

Walking over to him, you lifted him up and balanced him on your hip as he pointed to a bunch that he wanted to get. Agreeing with him, you placed the banana’s in the cart before setting him back down.

“We need to get some cookies next!” Chance happily called as you pulled the cart behind you and followed your boy around the produce to the bakery.

Glancing over the prices, you bit your lip slightly before you looked back into your cart. Knowing that you couldn’t buy the cookies, you stood by your cart as you watched your son look around at all of the cookies that were ready to buy. Carefully grabbing the cookies of his choosing, he slowly walked back over to you, holding the package of cookies lovingly between his arms.

Kneeling down, you smiled sadly towards him, “I’m sorry sweetie, I don’t think we can get cookies this time…”

“But these are really good cookies, look there is frosting and sprinkles!” Chance tried to convince you as his small finger lightly tapped on the top of the box showing you all of the sprinkles that decorated the cookies.

“I know and they look really yummy” You told him with a sad smile outfitting your lips.

“Then we should buy them so we can eat them” Chance reasoned quickly as he began to move over to place them in the cart.

“What if we made our own cookies, then you could decorate them any way you wanted” You thought on your feet quickly, trying to buy yourself some time.

“Really? We can make our own cookies?” Chance’s eyes got bright and wide with excitement.

“Of course, I think they would taste better than these cookies too” You whispered to him as he nodded enthusiastically.

“Go put those cookies back where you found them” You smiled and stood upright while watching Chance carefully walk back to return the cookie box where he found them.

Running back to you, his arms wrapped around your leg as your hand went down and pet his hair, wishing that you had enough money to get him everything he desired.

“What is next to your list?” You questioned gently

Upon hearing your question, he pulled away and grabbed his list before he ran his finger across the paper, mumbling some words to himself you waited patiently. A tapping on your leg brought your attention back to your son as he looked up at you with large brown eyes, reminding you of your ex-boyfriend, his father.

“Can I go get this one on my own?” Chance questioned softly his eyes peering into yours with hope.

“Where is it?” You questioned not want him to wander far from you. Chance looked around for a moment before he pointed off into the distance.

“Over there” Chance answered, “It is the last thing on my list…”

“Okay, just make sure to stay where I can see you” You told him, allowing him to do this since there were only a handful of people in the store at this time.

“Yes Mommy~” Chance sang before he handed his list back to you to hold, walking off slowly, he made sure to keep his manners as you watched him from afar, ready to jump into action if necessary.

Watching your son walk over to the shelves near a man in jeans and a beige trench coat with an underlying black shirt. Holding a basket in one of his hands with bracelets gathering around his wrist, you slowly began to move closer to them in case the man tried anything. With Chance scaling the shelves with his eyes, he then glanced over to the man beside him and stepped closer to him.

“Excuse me?” Chance questioned, not knowing what else to call a tall man, tapping the random man’s leg as you widened your eyes in shock.

The man turned around and looked down at the small visitor next to him, kneeling down next to him, you began to head over to your son unsure of what was going to happen next.

“Hey bud, can I help you?” The strange man questioned down on one knee giving your son all of his attention.

“Do you know where I can find a Daddy?” Chance questioned, his small hands playing with one another.

“Why do you want a Daddy?” The strange man questioned, his kind eyes looking at his son like it was his own.

“My Mommy is unhappy and I want her to be happy, I don’t want her to be sad anymore…” Chance explained as you stopped once you heard his heartfelt explanation.

“I’m sorry, sir” You interjected seeing a light blush on the strange man’s cheeks from not knowing how to answer the toddler’s question.

The man turned his head as he looked up at you, his eyes slightly widening before a smile curled on his face, “No need to be sorry.”

“I hope he didn’t bother you” You shyly retracted as Chance came over to you, while you watched the man stand to his feet while shaking his head.

“Not at all, he will be a great young man someday” The stranger smiled, “My name is Donghyun”

“My name is Chance!” Chance quickly announced as you smiled, “This is Mommy!”

“Hello Mommy, nice to meet you” Donghyun teased as he bowed to you

“No, no, she isn’t your Mommy she is mine” Chance protectively wrapped his arms around your leg as you smiled, your fingers running through his hair.

“I’m _______” You smiled as you introduced yourself.

“Nice to meet you _______” Donghyun whispered happily as he got lost in your eyes.

“Thank you for being so considerate” You bowed to him as you lifted Chance on your hip.

“Of course” Donghyun nodded, not being able to look away from the beautiful woman that stood before him.

“Mister, would you like to come to the park with us tomorrow? Mommy could use a friend while I play at the park” Chance quickly invited the man that you haven’t even known for an hour.

“I am sure Mr. Donghyun has a lot of work to do.” You told Chance trying not to make Donghyun feel pressured to come along.

“Do you?” Chance questioned looking over at Donghyun.

“I could spare an hour or two” Donghyun smiled as Chance clapped his hands together

“It’s a play date!” Chance happily answered causing you to blush as well as Donghyun.