and Reality

Defining Dreams

 

The door opened at the third knock, and Mrs Byun who’s in a bit of a hurry welcomed him. “He’s been sick since last night” she said as Chanyeol nodded,  making his way inside, going straight to the kitchen to put the groceries he managed to purchase along the way.

“Will you be fine watching over that brat?” she asked, stopping by the counter and Chanyeol could only smile, “Don’t worry eomma, I’ll take care of him” he said, she smiled humbly then quickly went to the latter one’s side and gave him a hug, “Thank you so much Yeol, I’m so glad that you’re here” she said hugging him tightly before letting go, “if he’s not on his bed, you know where to find him” Chanyeol could only laugh, as they trudge the way up to the front door.  Mrs Byun bade him for the last time and quickly drove herself to the hospital.

Shutting the door close and locking it, Chanyeol made sure that everything’s fine, safeguarded, he even checked the lights at the back, twice, before making his way to the room upstairs.

 

Baekhyun’s room was immersed in such tranquillity when Chanyeol came in, and the moment he entered he quickly noticed the empty bed. Chanyeol chuckled as he padded towards the big wooden closet situated just beside the bathroom door. He then slowly opened the door and squatted in front of it as his eyes gaze at the sleeping form, crouched on the available space inside. Chanyeol held up his laughter at the sight. It was always been Baekhyun’s habit to sleep inside the closet whenever he’s sick. And the first time Chanyeol knew about it was when Baekhyun paid him a visit during his internship at Severance Hospital, the same hospital where his mom is working, that time Chanyeol was too occupied with his work that he almost forgot that Baekhyun was there, and when the med student realized, he quickly run to the staff room but only to find it empty. It took him some hours to find the latter one, and he started to worry especially when his calls are all diverted into voice messages. But not until Chanyeol went back to the room, opened his locker to changed and find Baekhyun there, asleep and with a raging fever. He thought he’s just hiding but then he knew that he is really sick. And later on Chanyeol find out that closets even lockers  have this peculiar effect on Baekhyun ever since he was a child, like the four wooden walls of closets can heal him, make him feel better and all. His mom told Chanyeol that it’s normal and that it was just Baekhyun’s way to make his self comfortable. There’s nothing really cute about it, really, but Chanyeol just couldn’t help but to smile at the distant memory and at the sight in front of him.

Leaning closer, Chanyeol slowly, softly caressed his cheeks, and with the contact, Baekhyun suddenly stirred from his sleep and eventually the touch made him to wake up. The sight of his boyfriend smiling at him made him drift away from his dreams and back to his reality, Chanyeol.

“Did I wake you up?”

“Obviously”

Chanyeol chuckled.

“What should I do then?”

“A kiss would do”

Chanyeol chuckled but didn't answer. He never does when Baekhyun would get so quirky especially when he is sick, "It’s okay if you don’t want to—" And Chanyeol quickly steals a kiss before the latter one got the chance to scold him for giving his heart a sudden attack.

Baekhyun pouted.

“We should get you in bed” Chanyeol then said breaking the kiss, leaving Baekhyun dumbfounded for a while before he nodded.

“I presumed my mom already left? And I thought you’re busy?” Baekhyun asked as Chanyeol helped him to stand up. “She did, and no I’m not—” he trailed off, voice wavering and stopped for a moment to look at the latter one from head to toe. Chanyeol’s gaze was so concentrated that Baekhyun felt his cheeks starting to heat up.

“W-why? Is there anything wrong?” Baekhyun asked, to which Chanyeol only shook his head and sighed.

“You’re sick but you’re only going to wear that? Aren’t you cold or something?” he said, calmly but then Baekhyun knew he’s infuriated.

“Oh” the only word Baekhyun managed to utter as Chanyeol went to his closet and rummaged through his clothes and quickly went back with his pyjama and a pair of socks. “I do find you attractive with my shirt alone,” he professed as he helped the latter one to put his pyjama on, “hot even,” Baekhyun’s cheeks quickly went red, “but you’re sick and I don’t want to do anything than to take care of you tonight” Baekhyun burst out laughing. With his heart beating abnormally against his chest, Baekhyun can’t help but to laugh, beads of tears forming in the corners of his eyes.

“Why are you laughing?” Chanyeol asked, with an evident pout on his lips. Baekhyun then quickly stood on his toes and wrapped his arms around his boyfriend’s neck, “You’re so cute when you’re mad, don’t you know?” he confessed. Chanyeol sighed in defeat, but then wrapped his arms around Baekhyun’s waist.

“You just told me” he retorted, smiling softly against his ear.

“You better get some rest now, you know I don’t like it when you get sick.” Chanyeol said, breaking the hug, escorting Baekhyun back to his bed.

“I’m happy that you’re here Yeol” Baekhyun muttered as Chanyeol tucked him under the cover, warmly.

“So Am I, now sleep okay?” Chanyeol said, leaning down and planted a soft kiss his your forehead.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The dryness of his throat, and the thirst for water suddenly woke Baekhyun up in the middle of the night. Darting his eyes open, he noticed that he was alone. Sitting up in bed, Baekhyun started to think if Chanyeol did really went over, or everything about him was just a dream. Tears started to sting his eyes but only to quickly wipe them away with the back of his hand as he slip on his slippers and trudged his way downstairs.

Baekhyun’s heart just skipped a beat or two when he saw Chanyeol’s back in the kitchen, busying his self with something. With so much emotion, both unexplainable and unbearable, Baekhyun quickly run into him and wrapped his arms around his waist.

“Chanyeol-ah!” Baekhyun sobbed, voice wavering as he hugged the latter one tightly.

“Oooof~ Baek?” Chanyeol reacted, thanking that the soup didn’t spilled from the spoon he’s holding. Quickly he settled the spoon down and turns around to see his boyfriend’s dishevelled state. “What’s wrong? Did you have a nightmare?” he asked, pulling away some strands of hair from his eyes. Baekhyun only shook his head as he disentangled his arms around him, and wrapped them around Chanyeol’s neck and nuzzles his nose on the crook of his shoulder blades.

“What was your dream about?” Chanyeol asked, running his palms at the expanse of Baekhyun’s back, soothing him.

“T-that. .that you’re not here, that you’re just a dream”

“Aww~ baby, you know I’m not right? I’m here right?” he said chuckling, but only to assure the latter one that it’s alright.

“I know, I know” Baekhyun retorted as Chanyeol linked his arms around his waist.

“A dream is just a dream, but reality is when you have me, hugging you close” Chanyeol said, hugging him closer, “not letting you go” he added smiling down. “A dream is a dream, and reality is when I lean in,” he whispered, leaning closer to Baekhyun, “and kiss you like this” and their lips meet for a kiss which started off gently and softly as it deepens into something dark and passionate—but Chanyeol quickly ended it before he can no longer stop his self.

“Sorry” he said.

“It’s okay,” Baekhyun said, smiling.

“Are you feeling better now? I reheat some chicken soup for you, here take a seat” he said, pulling a seat on the counter and helped him to sit.

“Yeol—” you suddenly said, and Chanyeol stopped, not missing the timid tone in your voice. “Nothing, I-I love you” Baekhyun said, smiling at him. And Chanyeol could only do the same as he quickly planted a kiss on his forehead.

 

“I love you too.”

 

 

The End.